PDA

View Full Version : G73jh very slow and freezing

Zura
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi !
yesterday when i powered my G73, it took him about 6 minutes to boot to the desktop, and it was very slow and after 2 or 3 minutes it froze !! so i decided to format, but when i try to boot from a windows DVD or an USB it won't boot i just have a black screen with a white cursor blinking on the upper left side of the screen, when i boot to safe mode, it takes 5 minutes to the desktop and then display an error of "DCOM server" i click OK and the PC shuts down, in normal mode it displays me a random error every time i boot (dwm.exe or explorer.exe) and then it freezes, when i perform CHKDSK the PC shuts down at stage 1 (about 10%) when scanning the C: Drive ! please can you help me with that? is it the HDD?
forgive my poor english
thank you

dstrakele
03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
It sounds somewhat like a failing HDD except for the fact that booting from a DVD or USB flash drive is also failing. Can your Windows DVD successfully boot on another computer?

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/896900-windows-must-now-restart-because.html discusses a similar issue involving a Windows Vista system infected with a TDSS Rootkit.

Also check out http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/windows-system32-drivers-atapisys-corrupted/8ab2a719-7a19-48b1-8281-bbb30751046b?msgId=535b2c4a-6496-4591-9f2f-717ba054fbab.

http://www.prevx.com/blog/139/Tdss-rootkit-silently-owns-the-net.html discusses the TDSS Rootkit.

If I were in your situation, I'd run the latest TDSS Rootkit detection and removal utilities from Kaspersky or Symantec as a troubleshooting first step.

Zura
03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
i tried with a WinXP CD, it booted and said that windows is loading files and stuff but when it finished a BSOD appeared talking about hard drive and the error 0x0000007b

dstrakele
03-12-2013, 10:39 PM
A STOP 0x7b is an "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". It may be you also have problems with your DVD drive. Try entering the BIOS, restoring default settings, then Save & Exit. Hopefully, that will allow you to boot from the WinXP CD.

Were you running XP on your laptop when the problem occurred?

What error do you get when attempting to boot from the USB flash drive? What file system did you choose to format this drive? If NTFS, try reformatting it as FAT32.

Zura
03-12-2013, 10:46 PM
i restored the default settings in BIOS but still the same problem, and i was running Win 7 when the problem occured
i forgot to mention that the first time the problem appeared an xbox 360 controller and a normal USB controller were pluged in the ports of the computer, that was the first time it took so long to boot the desktop, could those controllers have damaged something ?

Pitcher@asus
03-13-2013, 02:24 AM
how is connecter other usb device to same process, is it still occur and if you are not connecter USB device to boot, is it slowing?

dstrakele
03-13-2013, 04:57 AM
Can you boot into your laptop normally or in Safe Mode and run long enough to download and scan your system with TDSSKiller as discussed in http://support.kaspersky.com/2663?vs=s88446#s88446?

Zura
03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
how is connecter other usb device to same process, is it still occur and if you are not connecter USB device to boot, is it slowing? now it has a slow boot either with or without USB ports occupied !!

Can you boot into your laptop normally or in Safe Mode and run long enough to download and scan your system with TDSSKiller as discussed in http://support.kaspersky.com/2663?vs=s88446#s88446? Unfortunately i can't :/

I just tried to boot with a Live Disk of FEDORA 18, it's working very well so i guess it's an HDD issue ! the G73JH has 2 HDD how do i determine which one is failing ?

dstrakele
03-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi i don't know why my replies are not displayed anymore in the thread, so i'm sending you this message, i can't download and run the TDSS rootkit remover :/this morning i booted from a FEDORA 18 LIVE DISK and everything went fine it booted very well but the computer shut itself down without any warning (happened two times) is it the HDD or something else?

Unexpected shutdowns where the laptop just turns off like someone pulled the plug are typically related to overheating or power supply. They do not typically result from a defective HDD.

1) Can you boot your laptop with the battery removed? If not, I would suspect a defective power adapter.

2) Can you confirm the outlet you are using is properly grounded?

Zura
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes i can boot with the battery removed, and i don't think it's an overheating issue i don't sense any abnormal heat from the CPU or the GPU and i can power on the computer as soon as it shuts down (which is not possible in the case of an overheating GPU ) this time it booted for a longer time and i got access to my HDDs but as soon as i clicked on : install to hard drive the PC shuts down :/

UPDATE: now it shuts down when fedora finishes loading ... it starting to get weird :rolleyes:
UPDATE 2: i booted normally, a few minutes ago (now it's on the login screen waiting for the password) and the PC does not shut down so i think it's not an overheating issue

dstrakele
03-13-2013, 12:55 PM
1) Does the booting behavior change if you use a different outlet in a different building?

2) Examine the Errors and Warnings in the Windows System and Application Event Logs to see if they point to some troubleshooting direction.

Zura
03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
1) Does the booting behavior change if you use a different outlet in a different building?

2) Examine the Errors and Warnings in the Windows System and Application Event Logs to see if they point to some troubleshooting direction.

1/ no it does not change
2/ how to do that ?

dstrakele
03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
See http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/better-troubleshooting-capabilities-with-windows-7-event-viewer/3226 for an overview of the Windows 7 Event Viewer. I recommend you search the System Event Log for Errors related to hardware problems.

Check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28269-frequent-crashing-of-my-g74sx-has-recently-started-happening...&p=216731&viewfull=1#post216731 for how to report Event Log error events.

Zura
03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
See http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/better-troubleshooting-capabilities-with-windows-7-event-viewer/3226 for an overview of the Windows 7 Event Viewer. I recommend you search the System Event Log for Errors related to hardware problems. i'll try to check that even-tough it's too slow, please in case i wanna test which HDD is failing, can i remove one and try only with a single HDD pluged ?

Zura
03-13-2013, 03:18 PM
here are the warnings http://i.imgur.com/0HNgTnk.jpg
and here are the errors http://i.imgur.com/dQFWyw2.jpg

dstrakele
03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
You sure can!

Zura
03-13-2013, 05:18 PM
so i have to remove the primary disk ( i've been told that it's the one in the right) and put the secondary disk in its place and then install windows on it right?

dstrakele
03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
You don't need to move the secondary HDD.

Zura
03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
i removed the primary HDD and tired, and then i removed the secondary HDD and repluged the primary one and tried with it alone and in both cases the pc keeps on shutting down during the windows 7 installation (in expanding files at 0%) and it also shut down when using the fedora live CD, what i remarked is that when i booted to fedora without the battery the computer shut down at the loading of the OS but with the battery it keeps until it arrives to the desktop ! could it be the PSU? or the motherboard ? because like i said this problem first occured when i turned the pc on with an XBOX 360 USB controller and one USB Adapter for PS1 controllers (with two PS1 controllers in it) plugged in it !! could it have damaged the mobo?

dstrakele
03-13-2013, 08:38 PM
It sounds like testing your power adapter (and/or trying a different power adapter) would be a good next step. I think your current power adapter is unable to supply the laptop with sufficient power to keep it running.

I also think it unlikely the USB peripherals damaged your motherboard. However, the extra power required to run them may have pushed your already weakened power adapter over the edge.

Zura
03-13-2013, 10:52 PM
ok i'll try to find a similar power adapter to this one and test ! thank you a lot for your support !!!

please: if i'm to buy a universal adapter what should it have? if for example i found one with 180W will it damage the machine ? how flexible is it ?

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 01:05 AM
With the peripheral devices you want to run, I recommend choosing AT LEAST 180W, if not more. The larger wattage will be more efficient providing useable power, instead of converting it to heat. Though it will be larger in size, it will save you money by wasting less electricity.

You just need to confirm output of 19.5 volts and that the DC plug size is correct. If you search threads in this forum, you can find links to the power adapters others have purchased. Here's a start: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2289-180w-200w-AC-Adapter-for-ASUS-ROG-G73SW-3DE...

IMPORTANT: You should complete testing to confirm the power adapter is the problem before purchasing another one.

Zura
03-14-2013, 01:32 AM
how should i do the test? a multimeter ?

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 02:09 AM
See http://www.ehow.com/how_5058768_test-laptop-power-supply.html.

Or take it in to an electronics shop to have them test it.

Or see if you can use a friend's power adapter or a display model's at a store.

Or see if a computer repair shop will let you test with another power adapter.

Or come over to my house and use my power adapter....

Zura
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
i tested it and it shows 19V so it's working normally ?

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Not necessarily... We know it's capable of putting out 19V to boot your system to desktop. The problem comes after that point. You need to determine if the power adapter can output sufficient power over time while under load.

How exactly did you run your test?

It may be better to test with a known good adapter of 150W or greater to ensure your laptop can run normally for a sustained period of time.

Zura
03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
i tried with a 18.5V / 6.5 A (this is the greatest Wattage i found) it took me further than my original PSU but it shut down

xeromist
03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Also worth running memtest86+

dstrakele
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
i tried with a 18.5V / 6.5 A (this is the greatest Wattage i found) it took me further than my original PSU but it shut down

So that 120W power adapter ran your laptop longer than your 150W? I'd keep looking for a 150W or greater power adapter to properly run a power supply test.

You initialy reported "when i boot to safe mode, it takes 5 minutes to the desktop and then display an error of "DCOM server" i click OK and the PC shuts down, in normal mode it displays me a random error every time i boot (dwm.exe or explorer.exe) and then it freezes'. Did you still have a slow bootup and get error messages on boot with the 120W power adapter? If so, what were the errors?

Zura
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Also worth running memtest86+ the pc shuts down during the memtest (i'm using my PSU)

You initialy reported "when i boot to safe mode, it takes 5 minutes to the desktop and then display an error of "DCOM server" i click OK and the PC shuts down, in normal mode it displays me a random error every time i boot (dwm.exe or explorer.exe) and then it freezes'. Did you still have a slow bootup and get error messages on boot with the 120W power adapter? If so, what were the errors? i no more have windows in my HDD i tried to format it and it shuts down so i lost the old OS, now i only use a live CD to try with

xeromist
03-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Well, if you get to the point where you're inside the machine it might be worth removing some/all but one stick of the memory just to see if there's anything to that. Sometimes bad memory can cause a lot of these problems and at least some of the memory is easily accessible from the bottom compartment door.