PDA

View Full Version : another BIOS question ...

nirO
03-13-2013, 10:08 PM
i`ve notice with HWiNFO that my fan speeds are wierd... and they not kick in always as they should

for ex temps plays world of tanks go up to 78c at max settings and fan speed is at 3600ish RPM but some times and only for short time it goes to 4200ish RPM so it could just use the 4200RPM to not get that far

so i was thinking should update BIOS maybe it will be better.. i`m still with standard version 218

my question is will and can BIOS get the fan speed better controlled and not let pc heat that much

also can i use the BIOS utility too update ?

or this its not even worth the trouble..

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 01:32 AM
... or this its not even worth the trouble..

See? The more you thought about it, you were eventually able to answer your own question...

nirO
03-14-2013, 01:38 AM
See? The more you thought about it, you were eventually able to answer your own question...

well if there is any chance the fan will kick in more proppa i would do it...

another exmple played just like 1h ago heroes of new earth again maxed out OC`d at 700/1650 same with world of tanks i forgot to mention

temp this time for HoN went to 73max and RPMs of the gpu just 3400ish .... i cant really understand why it wont go faster if it can GPU was under full load afterall ...

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 01:53 AM
It's actually easy to understand - the fan would go faster if the GPU got hotter. It's just the way the fan's thermal profile is configured. Someone else may wonder why the fan doesn't max out at 60 C.

Perhaps running Furmark could push your GPU higher to let you achieve maximum fan speeds.

nirO
03-14-2013, 02:26 AM
i did... and max rpm i got with furmark is 3782.... temps hit 89C

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 02:43 AM
See? It does run faster at higher temperatures. You could probably achieve even faster fan speeds by running Furmark with the laptop in an oven.

Perhaps the 4200 RPM reading you reported at lower temperatures was due to a brief voltage spike or within the error range of the fan speed sensor.

Pitcher@asus
03-14-2013, 05:25 AM
i am not sure it is fixing when you update BIOS to new version, asus fan speed is auto detect, but you can try.

nirO
03-14-2013, 09:57 AM
See? It does run faster at higher temperatures. You could probably achieve even faster fan speeds by running Furmark with the laptop in an oven.

Perhaps the 4200 RPM reading you reported at lower temperatures was due to a brief voltage spike or within the error range of the fan speed sensor.

for real? 100more RPM at 10+ C?

i guess u are right about the brief voltage thing... since when i saw it hit 4200 RPM i did a reset HWiNFO and i didt go up anymore

but that does not mean it cant go higher then 3700ish RPM ... maybe others can try out and see what are theyr max RPM when under full load

anyways thats why i asked if a new version of BIOS can fix this to work more proppa in the first place..