PDA

View Full Version : massive fps drop in black ops 2

gingles
03-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Running best buy version of the g75......i am seeing ridiculous fps drops in black ops 2 about once a week that make it unplayable......i run 100-120 fps no problem when playing but every once in a blue moon it drops to like 6-15......ive updated the nvidia driver to the new beta version that is out right now....dummed down graphics...resolution...etc. only thing i can think of is the vid card is crapping out already. i use evga to over clock it and i started over clocking it about 2 months ago and last month is when i started seeing this problem. ive read something about clean wipe the drivers and reinstall but tbh i do not know how to clean wipe the drivers. What other recommendations can someone offer?

Dreamonic
03-14-2013, 05:15 AM
Hey gingles,

ive read something about clean wipe the drivers and reinstall but tbh i do not know how to clean wipe the drivers. What other recommendations can someone offer? http://rog.asus.com/forum/clear.gif (http://rog.asus.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=238506)

This kind of problem could be a number of things. Usually it won't be the fact you have updated video drivers as opposed to a clean installation of them, but that they are the newest (in this case beta) they could be buggy under certain games still. It wouldn't hurt to try a different driver (rollback to an older one) and see if it changes anything.

But because you said once in a week it does this,

i am seeing ridiculous fps drops in black ops 2 about once a week that make it unplayable......i run 100-120 fps no problem when playing but every once in a blue moon it drops to like 6-15

I would start with your GPU temperature, what is it at during games? It may be throttling down because it's overheating.

What power profile are you on? Is your CPU temps too high? It may be throttling as well.

If your HDD being accessed too much (if 5400rpm hard drive and 8GB ram model) that could cause the dips in fps if you have a lot of other processes running in the background. Some AV's like McAfee, ESET or Norton can be a problem, even a Windows Update in the background or lowered poll rates in Rainmeter or Widgets running on the desktop.

How high was your GPU Memory Overclock in EVGA? If set too high (depends on each card) it can reach a point where you won't notice the improvement in fps but rather a decrease. This happen in GDDR5, it will resend data if it has errors thus increasing the cycle rate and reducing performance. Try lowering your Memory Clock and see if it changes anything.

It's possible that during the charging of your battery once it dips below 95% (roughly in a week) if you are in a game, you will notice some fps loss or spikes until it has reached 100% and is no longer charging.