PDA

View Full Version : Never Another ASUS

Mirage
03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
First laptop I ever had was an ASUS; loved the damn thing and the support was great (A week for a full repair and ship back, and they payed for both ways)

Apparently that wasn't so good in their opinion so now I get this hell.
This one however has given me nothing but bull****, on the 3rd (or 4th; I honestly can't remember anymore) RMA for something that according to the tech of the last repair was fixed last time (Oh did I mention they also forgot to put a screw or two back the first time so now when I lean a wrist on the front edge the case pops open some?) so yet again during a semester I have to deal with sending my computer away for a minimum of 2 weeks, more likely 3-4 total (and this is the last one since my warranty expires in about 2 months, you'd think after this many failures they'd just outright replace it; or extend my warranty; but nah) so I get to deal with having no computer at an IT college with several online classes.

Isn't ASUS just the most wonderful company?

chrsplmr
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Mirage .. oh No Not Again. Sorry to hear about more trouble for your G73, this is more
like 5 or 6 times (http://rog.asus.com/forum/search.php?searchid=952272) by my count.
I thought for sure between Mason and Scott you got this ironed out.
Did you PM the current cl- on the forum with this info ???

This link from your post 10-08-2012 says it All .. support's frustrations.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/customer_service

Best of Luck .. Again, friend.

To answer your question: Isn't ASUS just the most wonderful company?
Yes, Yes I do. ... but
The 'seems to could not care less' attitudes and work ethic of the contracted support
services however are imo, despicable at best.c.

Zygomorphic
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
PM cl-Albert (he is the support guy now) and see if he can help you get this sorted out. I am sorry to hear what has been happening, but cl-Albert may be able to help.

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
I see you've already worked with the 2 previous ASUS Customer Loyalty reps, Mason@ASUS and cl-Scott, and the results STILL fell short. I'd see if cl-Albert can get a new laptop for you as it's obvious they are incapable of repairing your current one.

Shawnnepc
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
First laptop I ever had was an ASUS; loved the damn thing and the support was great (A week for a full repair and ship back, and they payed for both ways)

Apparently that wasn't so good in their opinion so now I get this hell.
This one however has given me nothing but bull****, on the 3rd (or 4th; I honestly can't remember anymore) RMA for something that according to the tech of the last repair was fixed last time (Oh did I mention they also forgot to put a screw or two back the first time so now when I lean a wrist on the front edge the case pops open some?) so yet again during a semester I have to deal with sending my computer away for a minimum of 2 weeks, more likely 3-4 total (and this is the last one since my warranty expires in about 2 months, you'd think after this many failures they'd just outright replace it; or extend my warranty; but nah) so I get to deal with having no computer at an IT college with several online classes.

Isn't ASUS just the most wonderful company?

What's the current issue you are having with your laptop?

Mirage
03-14-2013, 05:36 PM
The ethernet is dead again, it shows up; but the cable isn't detected whatsoever.

And i'd doubt if they'd ever actually just replace the thing, that'd be far too good and all (That and there's 2-3 upgrades that were done to it by XoticPC)

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
PM XOTICPC on this forum or give them a call and request their assistance with your RMA. Check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29801-formal-complaint

Shawnnepc
03-14-2013, 07:06 PM
The ethernet is dead again, it shows up; but the cable isn't detected whatsoever.

And i'd doubt if they'd ever actually just replace the thing, that'd be far too good and all (That and there's 2-3 upgrades that were done to it by XoticPC)

OH.

When you purchase customized ASUS laptops ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS deal with the reseller BEFORE contacting ASUS.

In this case contact Xotic, ASAP

Nodens
03-14-2013, 07:27 PM
This also sounds very much like a software issue..corrupted LSP chain or TCP/IP stack in general..

Try booting a linux CD and see if you have network access with it.

Otherwise try opening a command prompt window with admin rights and type these commands:
"netsh int ip reset"
"netsh int ipv6 reset"

Reboot and test again if it still doesn't work, open command prompt again and:

"netsh winsock reset"

If this fixes it, you'll have to reinstall your Antivirus and anything else that hooks on the tcp/ip stack (other than the malware or incompatible program that caused the issue in the first place..)

EDIT: Also I assume that you already tested the cable..

Mirage
03-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Neither of those commands helped, I've tried a livecd; ive tried safemode and I've ran the realtek diagnostic program (every test including MAC loopback failed except for 'register') its once again a case of screwed up hardware.

Gorman
03-15-2013, 02:52 AM
ASUS doesn't offer refunds or replacements ever, that's why support keeps telling me when I ask.

I've had 5 RMAs and last time they gave me back a laptop that won't boot and probably has a broken mobo...

Mirage
03-15-2013, 04:33 AM
God I miss when ASUS support didn't ****ing suck.

Nodens
03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Neither of those commands helped, I've tried a livecd; ive tried safemode and I've ran the realtek diagnostic program (every test including MAC loopback failed except for 'register') its once again a case of screwed up hardware.

Understood. I find it rather peculiar that ethernet died more than once in a row.. Since this isn't a software issue, I'm willing to bet there's current leaking through your cable from a switch, router or whatever. Ethernet dying like this is rare on its own. Twice means something is causing damage and that's usually unwanted current. Ethernet is susceptible to that (That's why there are UPS and surge protectors with ethernet plugs).

cl-Albert
03-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Hi Gorman,

fyi.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you are located in the U.S. and warranty policy can vary from country to country, etc., so if Mirage is located in the U.S., they may find the ASUS warranty policy can be slightly different.
I'm not sure if the U.S. support line will say the same things, but it still may not hurt to start asking about other options when the current procedures don't appear to be resolving the problem.

Anyway, hope you are able to get your unit working and don't give up trying, but unfortunately, I'm not able to help you much with this from the U.S. office.

Thanks!

ASUS doesn't offer refunds or replacements ever, that's why support keeps telling me when I ask.

I've had 5 RMAs and last time they gave me back a laptop that won't boot and probably has a broken mobo...

Mirage
03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Yeah, well as far as I know hes correct, they won't do that; since it would actually fix the Please use appropriate language. Thank you. problem.

cl-Albert
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Mirage, if you didn't see it, I sent you a PM to get your serial number and other info, so just reply to me if you want me to look into it more.

Mirage
03-16-2013, 04:45 AM
When you pay nearly 2000$ for a laptop and then have the same issue return again after it was supposively 'repaired' a total of 3 times, then you can say things aren't neccessary.

Gorman
03-16-2013, 05:43 AM
Hi Gorman,

fyi.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you are located in the U.S. and warranty policy can vary from country to country, etc., so if Mirage is located in the U.S., they may find the ASUS warranty policy can be slightly different.
I'm not sure if the U.S. support line will say the same things, but it still may not hurt to start asking about other options when the current procedures don't appear to be resolving the problem.

Anyway, hope you are able to get your unit working and don't give up trying, but unfortunately, I'm not able to help you much with this from the U.S. office.

Thanks!
Mine is covered under ASUS's "global warranty"
Is there a US domestic warranty too?

Support that I have called just read from scripts so if you suggest other things they just say "I don't know about that" or "we can't do that". I'm not sure exactly where they delegated the thinking to, but I've not talked to any ASUS employees that do the thinking...

chrsplmr
03-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Thank You goodSir. Respect+

cl-Albert
03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Mirage,

You may already have a good idea what is going on, but hope you don't mind if I continue this thread just to see if anybody else has better ideas that you may be interested in to confirm that your G73Sw notebook LAN really has gone bad before you send it back to us tomorrow.

I'm not much of a networking guy and hopefully Nodens doesn't mind, but Nodens sent me the suggestions below about checking the LAN (outside of Windows as well as the Windows Safe Mode (with networking) which I've never checked much into).

Simplest method to test is using a Linux live cd. Like Ubuntu which is very easy to use even if you have no Linux experience at all. Booting the CD, you should have network right out of the box if it is ok.

I would not bother with safe mode with networking cause things may be broken in the installation that would also carry over to the safe mode process (TCP/IP stack will get loaded as is..Anything hooked at the LSP chain level will still load).

dstrakele
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Did you see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30550-Asus-G74sx-Ethernet-not-working..&country=&status=? In it, @Xoul reports:

YES

it worked!

Heres what I did, step for step, might you stumble upon this thread with the same issue
I Uninstalled the driver through the control panel, Realtek Ethernet controller, Next thing I rebooted my PC, checked the Device manager (It was still there) and uninstalled it trough there, then I restarted in safe mode, installed the driver, rebooted..
aand it worked!