PDA

View Full Version : Just voided my Warranty on my Asus G55vw

Vicodin
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
BUT... I now have a 240gb mSATA Mushkin Atlas DX SSD! Not to mention, my 15 min 1920x1080 Furmark temps of 82c are now 72c. Worth it?

pathfindercod
03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
The warranty doesn't seem to matter anyway. I don't know if I've heard of a successful warranty process anyway

Vicodin
03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Yeah that's why I didn't care. I would pay/fix myself before doing an RMA with Asus.

nirO
03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
how did u lowered the temps i would like to know :P

scarletvw
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM
how did u lowered the temps i would like to know :P

Because he had to pretty much completely tear down his PC to install the mSATA drive so he repasted the CPU and GPU while he had it open, its very common with any PC that if you repaste the thermal material you'll get significant temp drops because of better thermal conductivity vs the original thermal paste.

nirO
03-14-2013, 01:18 PM
figures... i really have to look for someone who can do it to my g75 :-s

chrsplmr
03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
BUT... I now have a 240gb mSATA Mushkin Atlas DX SSD! Not to mention, my 15 min 1920x1080 Furmark temps of 82c are now 72c. Worth it?
I'd say so. Cudos on the 'new' machine. I'll bet it rips it up now.
You know there are many, many, many that actually Never need repair, they just run, run, run ...
and Now yours is faster And cooler. Congrats.c.

Dr4g0n36
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
can you post the speed with disk mark? i'm courios... i won't change my dual SSD raid 0 ( Samsung 840 pro 1,04GBps :P ) but i'd like to know how fast is this solution.

Myk SilentShadow
03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Don't the G55's have 2 bays for drives like the 75's?

rewben
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
@Myk SilentShadow, no, we have 1 msata slot and 1 hdd bay :/

Vicodin
03-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the posts guys. I will post my disk bench scores once I get it set up. I was up until 5 a.m doing this (I am a perfectionist and took my sweet time) so once I got it back together I just made sure EVERYTHING worked, and that my computer did recognize the mSATA ssd. I am gonna set it up today. For those of you wondering, getting to the mSATA is not as bad as most think. I just watched a couple videos on disassembling a G55 and I was pretty much ready. I wanted to make my own video doing both the tear down, disassembling, re-pasting, but I got my girlfriend and baby out of the house, then my friend bailed on me and couldn't come. So I had no one to help me out with recording. :(

gokica
03-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Well I suppose some things are worth even if warranty is voided for doing those.

BTW do I have mSATA 6Gb/s slot available on my G75VX?

Vicodin
03-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Well I suppose some things are worth even if warranty is voided for doing those.

BTW do I have mSATA 6Gb/s slot available on my G75VX?

The G75's do not have an mSATA port. This is due to the fact that they already have two HDD bays. The G55 only has one HDD bay, so that is why Asus put a mSATA option on the G55

skyrider
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM
how did you find the job? I've been wanting to replace the thermal paste in my g55 for a while but after watching a youtube vid that shows how to take it apart im scared...it looks like i pretty much have to take the entire laptop apart. I've only replaced thermal paste manually once, and that was with my g51jx which was much easier to gain access to cpu/gpu.

did u perhaps find a detailed guide somewhere on how to do it? If so, could I ask for a link?

Vicodin
03-14-2013, 11:48 PM
No detailed guide. I just watched the disassembling video on youtube that was provided by HIDevolution. It wasn't hard at all. Just take your time and be careful. You cant be in a hurry and impatient. The stock paste job was pretty bad... I cleaned it up really good and applied a nice even thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 to the full surface of the CPU and GPU. You want to pretty much "paint it". Enough to where you cant see through it, but not like you are making a peanut butter sandwich. lol

Vicodin
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
I'd say so. Cudos on the 'new' machine. I'll bet it rips it up now.
You know there are many, many, many that actually Never need repair, they just run, run, run ...
and Now yours is faster And cooler. Congrats.c.

Hey thank you!

Vicodin
03-15-2013, 12:29 AM
can you post the speed with disk mark? i'm courios... i won't change my dual SSD raid 0 ( Samsung 840 pro 1,04GBps :P ) but i'd like to know how fast is this solution.

Nice setup! When I get some more money, I plan on purchasing the matching 240gb Mushkin SSD so I can run in raid as well! :)

Living Room Rocker
03-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Congratulation, Vicodin. That is great news. I am encourage to do it myself now. I have been looking into buying a 500GB (mSATA) SSD. But I also want to replace my optical drive with a SSD and caddy for a total of three drives. It might seem like over kill, but actually three drives is optimal for high resolution audio recording (one for OS/Programs, 2nd for Audio and a 3rd for samples to soft synths); which is the reason I bought a G55VW (my portable studio). That and the thunderbolt. Once I found that, I jumped at it immediately.

Given Tech Support is soarly lacking with all the RMA horror stories - as mentioned, I am certain the DIY is the way to go. Now I am phsyc'd.

Good job!

Living Room Rocker

Vicodin
03-15-2013, 06:14 AM
^ Thanks! Trust me, if I can do it so can you! This is my first time ever disassembling and re-pasting a laptop. I have always been good with hardware though. I just did a lot of research before doing so. After I got it together, I checked EVERYTHING to make sure it worked before putting in the bottom screws. (keyboard, left side USB ports, audio port, speakers, etc) Everything was good to go. Its easier than most would think. Just time consuming and tedious.

srmojuze
03-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Well done...!

Vicodin
03-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Here is my diskmark after some minor tweaking. (more to do)

Here is my diskmark after playing around with Fancy Cache

^ Seeing this makes me laugh. What warranty?

Dr4g0n36
03-17-2013, 03:21 AM
O.o nice result! ....yeah...ASUS support? what? where? ahahahahaha let's repair @ home XD

Vicodin
03-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Don't the G55's have 2 bays for drives like the 75's?

Nope, like Rewben said there is one mSATA (which requires complete disassembling of the laptop to get to) and one bay. It wasn't all that hard for me to get to really. Worth it in the end, that is for sure! The mSATA is still a SATA 3 6 gbps