PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G73JH Black Screen CRASH

CATTER
03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Hello ASUS Employees and Prospective/Current ASUS Customers,

HERE IS MY STORY

Let me just start by saying that I will never buy an ASUS product EVER AGAIN. I have used many forums for years and I realize that they are not the place for bashing. However, this is an exception and if you hear me out and read my full story you will understand why.

I originally bought an ASUS G73JH gaming laptop at Best Buy around Sept-Oct 2010. Within 2 months of using it (around the middle of november), the motherboard went bad. I sent it back to ASUS to get it fixed. The unit was still under full warranty at the time. I was told (after many long hours and days of fighting with foreign offshore customer serivce people), that I would receive a new laptop as a replacement and that it would arrive it 2 weeks. In reality, I received a refurbished machine that was previously owned by a Chinese user because the keyboard was configured in Chinese when I got it. And this took 4 weeks not 2 weeks. This was a major issue because this is my school and work computer in addition to my gaming machine (desktop replacement... or so I thought). This was my first attempt to buy a gaming laptop and this is my experience!

This refurbished machine that I have now has an Intel i7 x64 processor and 8 GB RAM and a 4 GB video ram ATI Radeon Mobility 5870. Upon buying and installing Call of Duty Black Ops 2 when in came out in November of 2012, I started to get the GSOD (gray screen of death / vertical gray strips). I updated both the VBIOS and BIOS to the latest versions as per the ASUS site to solve the GSOD problems. I also had to install the latest ATI/AMD driver for the 5870 which is the ATI Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8 Driver in order for BLOPS2 to run properly. After this, the GSOD stopped but the unit continues to crash to a blank black screen.

Originally these crashes would only happen when gaming, but now they occur in windows as well. However, after the crash occurs, I am able to successfully play any game I want for hours upon the successful subsequent boot. This has been the case for most games but not all. Its very unstable and I never know when it will crash, making it difficult to have a normal gaming session or even to work on a simple project or paper for school or work because I cant afford to risk losing my work. Yes I just save it to a flash drive while working but I shouldnt have to do this on a $1200 (Desktop replacement (ya right)) laptop. I have been troubleshooting this thing for weeks and this is what I have tried / discovered.

I have tested my CPU and GPU for overheating (they are fine). Dont tell me its overheating when it crashes in 5 mins and then upon reboot will run for 3 hours on any game at max settings because that makes no sense. I have tried several different drivers and they all cause the same symptoms (black screen crash). The thing crashes in windows when no drivers are installed at all and the machine is running in VGA mode for god sake. I am a college student and I cant afford to buy a new machine or to put any more money into this piece of ****. I have done multiple memory tests and my RAM is totally fine. I have reinstalled windows 7 multiple times and I am currently running windows 8 (so OS has nothing to do with it). And its not the sound drivers either because I have uninstalled them completely and it still crashes. I also got a memory dump in Windows 8 only and it said to update the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver to the latest version to prevent the sysport.exe crash so I did that as well.

If you want to make this right ASUS, stop ****ing with me. Let me send it back for free and fix it for free. Or send me a whole new one. Do something. I have talked to customer service multiple times and they want me to pay to send it back and pay to get it fixed because it is out of warranty. Well that is true, but since you guys already ****ed up twice I think you can make an exception. I currently own 4 computers and have been a PC gamer since I was 5 years old. I am a veteran troublshooter and I know that this is a hardware issue. I buy a new gaming PC every 2-3 years (college is the exception while paying for that ). I am 1 year away from becoming a pharmacist and will have the money to buy gaming computers every 2 years at least. I also work for one of the biggest companies in the world and will tell everyone to never buy another ASUS ever again. So either do something to make this right, or let your ASUS brand take a major hit. I dont think you can afford that in this day and age when more people are buying consoles and tablets. Oh and I have two Cyberpower PCs and an iBuypower PC and have never had problems with them. So even from a high-end PC gaming standpoint, you are already getting your ass kicked.

Sincerely,

Severely unhappy customer

dstrakele
03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
A) When you say "black screen crash", do you mean:

1) an unexpected shutdown like someone pulled the plug?

2) the display goes black, but otherwise the system continues to run? In other words, you can still hear it running normally and responding to your input?

3) the display goes black and the system is totally unresponsive?

B) If you attach your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV, does it also go black along with the laptop display?

CATTER
03-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Thank you for your response. Sometimes it is during gaming and sometimes it is in Windows when it is sitting idle at the desktop with only one browser window open. It is completely unresponsive. The video and sound go off and the mouse and keyboard stop working and then the PC slowly shuts down. And I do use an HDTV sometimes as well and the same crash with the same black screen occurs on it as well.

CATTER
03-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Ok I just had a crash while playing Call of Duty Black Ops 1: Zombies. I started running BlueScreenViewer to look at my memory dump files to get a sense of the issue. Heres the results of the crash.

Bug Check String: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Crash Time: 3/14/13 @ 5:52 PM
File Causing Error: storport.sys
Address: storport.sys+18fc300

Not sure if this is unique to Win 8 x64 or not. Yesterday I read on a different forum that I needed to update the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver so I did that. But today it crashed again. I did notice one difference btw the two crashes. Today the causative address is storport.sys+18fc300 and yesterday it was storport.sys+17c4300. Any ideas? Not sure how to fix this.

Thanks man.

dstrakele
03-15-2013, 12:56 AM
That's interesting... So it's actually a BSOD, but the video is affected so that nothing is displayed on the laptop screen or an external monitor. If I were in your situation, I'd try the following:

1) Open a thread on www.eightforums.com and submit a recent MiniDump file for analysis. As you can see in http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/20429-bsod-storport-sys-possible-cause.html, they can provide quite detailed and specific information as to possible causes as well as recommendations to resolve the problem. It's possible STORPORT.SYS could be a victim rather than the actual cause.

2) That wouldn't stop me from UNinstalling IRST as a troubleshooting step. BSOD's commonly result from driver conflicts, so getting rid of a potential suspect to eliminate the conflict is a good test. Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Administration, and Disk Management software are also the usual suspects in driver conflicts. Selective uninstallation of these program types, then attempting to reproduce the BSOD is an alternative way to troubleshoot without removing IRST.

3) Your BSOD's are unusual in that the video always stops. It sounds like this behavior began after updating the vbios and system BIOS. I would attempt to reflash these firmware to see if it eliminates your problem.

A firmware problem would be consistent with an issue that persists across different OS'es and cannot be resolved by updating Windows software, as in the previously recommended troubleshooting steps. Of course, a hardware problem, such as a defective GPU or VGA memory, is also a possibility.

I'm sure you realize firmware flashing can render your laptop unusable if any problems occur. I recommend keeping the vbios and system BIOS files off of NTFS partitions, downloading or uncompressing them only to a USB flash drive formatted to a single FAT32 partition. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30233-G74SX-bios-update-2.01-to-2.03-with-ezflash-now-brick.-No-power-up.-HELP&p=237173&viewfull=1#post237173 for why I make this recommendation.

4) Some G73JH and JW systems are known to experience BSOD's and/or lockups when the CPU drops down to a lower power mode C-State. ThrottleStop provides a workaround to this issue by allowing you to disable the problematic C-States. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND. This is also an issue that would persist across OS'es.

So based on the nature of your problem, it may be best to try my recommendations in the reverse order of how they are posted.

CATTER
03-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your response man. I actually dont think I am getting actual BSODs. I am new to windows 8 so I originally thought that I was getting BSOD but now all i am getting is the teal screen with the sad face upon reboot and its SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED as I said before.

In windows 7, I was getting a crash where the screen would go black and then the keyboard and mouse would shut off and then eventually the machine would shut off. And there was a clicking sound over and over again. I believe that this was an issue with the Graphics Card Time Detection and Recovery Time registry key and my graphics card drivers. I read that this only occured with Win Vista/7 so this is why I made the decision to upgrade to windows 8.

This windows 8 error is completely different however. This one is like you said before.... "its lIke someone pulled the plug" everything goes off all at once as if the power went out. Any ideas? Thus, I think i fixed the orig error/crash by upgrading to windows 8 but now I have this new type of crash instead.

I understand your thoughts about the vbios and bios upgrade but I dont want to take the firmware back because then I will get the GSOD with gray strips error again. Anyway, I appreciate your help and thoughts so far. What do you think could be causing this "pulling the plug error"?

CATTER
03-16-2013, 10:08 PM
I do not think that it is a GPU issue because it happens both when playing intensive graphical games or just when sitting idle at the desktop. Could it be the power supply?

dstrakele
03-16-2013, 10:11 PM
C'mon now, CATTER...

Bug Check String: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_ HANDLED

IS a BSOD. BlueScreenView is reading the MiniDump file from the BSOD to give you that information.

The most common causes for unexpected shutdowns where it appears like someone pulled the plug are:

1) Power supply - defective power adapter, power adapter cable to outlet not properly grounded, outlet not properly grounded

2) Overheating - computer shuts down to protect the CPU or GPU.

You report " I have tested my CPU and GPU for overheating (they are fine)", so you'd probably want to focus on power supply issues. Yet, you also report " The video and sound go off and the mouse and keyboard stop working and then the PC ***slowly*** shuts down." That doesn't sound like a "pull the plug" type of shutdown to me.

If you don't believe the vbios or system BIOS is involved, have your MiniDump analyzed as I suggested earlier and/or try disabling the CPU C-States with ThrottleStop. I'd probably start with ThrottleStop, since the problem has persisted on different version OS'es.

Guido7142
03-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Hi there, I'm having a similar problem but I just can not use anything in the computer, I have a G75 and exactly this happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFJ7dI_WbAA. That guy in the video has exactly the same problem as me. To me it happened when I just finished doing a clean install of W7 and went into the BIOS to set the correct boot order (since it was set to boot first from DVD). I gave enter to save changes and exit and that was it... it wanted to reboot but nothing showed on screen. No ROG logo, no sound at all (i had posting sound disabled, but no windows sounds either), nothing. Keyboard lights flash up and then down just as seen in the video and then nothing... just the power LED stays on, no further HDD activity light, nothing. I can not enter the bios or Ezflash by pressing F2 or F4, the external monitor thing does not work for me either. I also tried battery and start button trick to reset the bios but nothing, I even plugged out the CMOS battery off and then back on and still nothing.

I would really use some help, I'm from south america and there are no Asus Tech Support in my country and I must try to deal with this myself. If nothing works I would have to sen my laptop to the US via an acqueintance and ask him to do me the favour of sending it to a Support Center and that would be extremely inconvenient (if not impossible). Furthermore, I only have 2 more months of warranty left.

Sincerely and desperately, ROG user.

CATTER
03-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Haha I figured it was a BSOD but the BSOD looks much different in win 8 so i wasn't sure lol. I hate how Microsoft makes everything dummy proof instead of actually showing me what happened. The slow shut down error happened with win 7 but isn't happening any more on win 8. The win 8 crash is only the pull the plug one. Can you elaborate more on the disable C series throttle stop method please? I'm an unclear as to what you mean. And also should I try another power supply? How many watts do I buy and does it have to be an ASUS one or no? I have the radeon mobility 5870 card. Thanks man I appreciate it.

dstrakele
03-17-2013, 04:19 AM
I don't believe I could discuss the ThrottleStop workaround for disabling CPU C-States any better than the thread I referenced earlier: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24921-G73-still-randomly-freezing-and-bsoding.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24921-G73-still-randomly-freezing-and-bsoding. is a similar thread.

For testing with a different power adapter, one of 150W or greater capacity that can output around 19V with the correct size DC plug for your laptop would do the trick. It would be best if you could just test with it, rather than purchase it, to confirm if it will resolve your problem. I believe any of the G Series stock power adapters that shipped with your model or later will work. It would be ideal if you could try a friend's power adapter, or an ASUS G Series display model's power adapter at a retail store or a computer repair shop. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30418-G73jh-very-slow-and-freezing&p=238459&viewfull=1#post238334 for more information.

dstrakele
03-17-2013, 05:12 AM
Hi there, I'm having a similar problem but I just can not use anything in the computer, I have a G75 and exactly this happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFJ7dI_WbAA. That guy in the video has exactly the same problem as me.

Hi @Guido - You are experiencing a different issue. Your laptop is in a "bricked" state after saving changes to your BIOS. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28935-Bricked-after-223-reset-optimized-defaults. for more information.

Unfortunately, your clean install of Windows 7 likely erased the hidden original BIOS file that existed in the root of C: of the Windows instance that shipped with your G75. You'll need to obtain that BIOS file from a similar model laptop, put it on a USB flash drive formatted to a single FAT32 partition, then attempt BIOS Recovery by holding down CTRL+HOME while you press the Power On button. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that even this procedure will work.

Guido7142
03-17-2013, 03:07 PM
If I proceed with this method, when I press CTRL + HOME while pressing the power button, what should happen ? Something should show in the screen ?

And if I punt into a USB in FAT32 the 223 bios that I can download from the Asus web, is that also usable ?

dstrakele
03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10273-G51JX-need-BIOS-recovery-instructions&p=70197&viewfull=1#post221949 is a good description of a successful Crisis BIOS Recovery. Of course you'll need to rename the .BIN file to your model. I'm unsure if the BIOS file you download from the ASUS website is the one you need, but you may as well try it. You got nothing to lose...

CATTER
03-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Im sorry about the delayed responses. Its just that I have been busy with school and have only had limited time for testing. Here are my findings.

There are two completely separate unrelated crashes/errors
1) "Display driver stopped working" - happens in windows and in games running either win 7 or win 8. I think it is due to the GPU Recovery and Detention Error in the registy. I thought it might only occur with one particular driver but in reality in occurs with all drivers.

I would describe this crash as going to a black screen and then slowly shutting down. I think that the video card is just going bad and I am not going to pay for a replacement because they are so expensive that I could just buy a new PC instead. Any ideas?

2) My other type of crash is the "pull the plug" crash where everything shuts off and loses power instantly. I think it may be the power supply or the motherboard but I am not sure. This crash never occurred in windows 7 but it does now occur when running windows 8.

Any ideas? Can you explain the C-states thing again please? I am still looking for another power supply to try but all of my friends have smaller laptops and thus only like 65 W power supplies and I need a 150 W. Still unsure if that is the culprit or not. Bottom line is that this machine is a refurbished piece of **** with multiple issues and I probably wont be able to fix it. Guess I'll have to buy a new one next year. IT WONT BE AN ASUS. ASUS EMPLOYEES IF YOU CHECK YOUR FORUMS MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DOING SOMETHING FOR ME. SHIP ME a new video card or new power supply or both. I cant send it to you because I live at school and my other PCs are thousands of miles away at home so this is my only PC available for school work.

CATTER
03-25-2013, 05:02 AM
Well now I have changed my OS again to win XP to attempt to get the driver error to stop. Now the pull the plug error is back with a vengeance. The pull the plug quick shutdown is happening every time I turn on the computer within 5 mins each time before I can do anything. It is not the power cord. I have finally confirmed that because it crashes on battery as well. I have also tried a hard reset that I saw that you had detailed in another post where you unplug the power and take out the battery.

I am typing this with my friends computer as I troubleshoot this POS asus. I just now went into the BIOS and just let it sit in the BIOS menu and it crashed even in the BIOS. So I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard and I'm screwed. I have heard about resetting the CMOS? Should I attempt that and if so how do I do it? Any chance that will fix my problem?

dstrakele
03-25-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Crashes in the BIOS most likely indicate a hardware problem.

If you are able to get into Windows and Event Viewer, are there any Errors or Warnings in the System Event log that point to a specific device?

pineappleXpress
03-28-2013, 08:08 PM
I have a good G73JH motherboard I can sell you cheap! If you are unclear as how to replace it, youtube has detailed videos on this. That's how I got instruction to replace mine. I think your CPU is overheating and the system is shutting down to protect it. Could be wrong but a new motherboard wouldn't hurt :)

eBay also has used or refurbed mobo's at good prices.

CATTER
04-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Wow man thanks I appreciate the offer. Whats your price my man? And also I think it is the GPU but I have looked into replacing that and it seems difficult since you can only use the ATI Radeon 5870 again and nothing else. I am an experienced user but this is my first gaming laptop. Is the GPU fused into the motherboard? Do I need a new mobo and new video card separately or is it all one piece?

CATTER
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I am now getting both the pull the plug crash (motherboard crash) when playing and I also still get the "Driver stopped working crash" in both windows and while gaming. I think that the mobo and video card are both shot. One thing I noticed, after the pull the plug crash, the time and time zone is being reset to factory settings and I have to change it back. Does this mean the BIOS is being reset during the crash?

Are there any other software tweaks I can make until I end up buying a new computer? All of the replacement mobos are at least 200 bucks so for that I would be better off just buying a new system and putting that 200 dollars towards the start of that.

All help is appreciated. Thanks guys

Viper56
06-09-2015, 05:08 AM
an average pc user should never have to go online using threads to figure out what's wrong with a pc and software that just won't work. lets stop making them rich for products and services that just don't work..

Viper56
06-09-2015, 05:15 AM
I have been an IT professional for years I am not bragging on myself but that I know a lot of stuff and when you have products that just are not supported for customers in such a way that they cannot get help with updates to correct problems with hardware and software. It just cannot be expected that a customer will always be tech savvy enough to what to do without spending 5 days to fix a pc that isn't being supported.

Viper56
06-09-2015, 05:18 AM
no where on ASUS's website will you find drivers and updated utilities for windows 8 64 bit. why because they expect you to buy another computer that will be outdated on the next operating system upgrade, good luck.