PDA

View Full Version : Asus G55vw Furmark results after re-pasting CPU/GPU

Vicodin
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Hello everyone,
I just thought I would share my experience with you involving re-pasting my CPU and GPU on my Asus G55vw. So I recently got a mSATA SSD, and I figured being I am already going to have to completely disassemble my laptop, I may as well re-paste the CPU and GPU while I am in there. Well to start, the factory paste job was pretty bad. The CPU looked ok, but the surface of the GPU was not even entirely covered with thermal paste. Also, two of the thermal pads on the IC's (chips) around the GPU were only half covering the full surface. So to start I fixed the thermal pads, aligning them perfectly covering the full surface of the chips. I then completely cleaned and prepped the surfaces of the CPU, GPU, and heakstinks with the two-step Arctic Silver system. Applied a nice even layer of Arctic Silver 5 on the full surface of the CPU and GPU. After I got everything back together and working, I thought I would run a Furmark to see how I did. (Also to heat up the CPU and GPU so the thermal paste sets in better).

Well before re-pasting my Furmark temps maxed out at 82c. Here are the new results.

12c Temp Drop!

srmojuze
03-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Nice One...

Apexing
03-15-2013, 05:16 PM
now let it run for 30 min.
mine tops out at 85 after 30min.

HulkSmash
03-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Dang, it's interesting how space can affect temperature so dramatically for these laptops, my G75 runs 70C after hours OC'ed to 1200/2870 with stock thermals...still, really good temps...

Vicodin
03-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Dang, it's interesting how space can affect temperature so dramatically for these laptops, my G75 runs 70C after hours OC'ed to 1200/2870 with stock thermals...still, really good temps...

I have noticed this as well. It seems the G46 runs hotter than the G55, and the G55 runs hotter than the G75. Space is definitely a factor

Pitcher@asus
03-18-2013, 08:39 AM
my temps maxed also 70C

Vicodin
03-18-2013, 08:43 AM
my temps maxed also 70C

Are you referring to a G55 with stock thermal paste?

bignazpwns
03-18-2013, 08:43 AM
I have noticed this as well. It seems the G46 runs hotter than the G55, and the G55 runs hotter than the G75. Space is definitely a factor

Don't go saying that man. People why say the G46 runs just as cool as the G55 and G75.

But really its not about the space in the laptops its the changes in the cooling system's. They are not all the same despite what people will say.

Vicodin
03-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Don't go saying that man. People why say the G46 runs just as cool as the G55 and G75.

But really its not about the space in the laptops its the changes in the cooling system's. They are not all the same despite what people will say.

I was saying it runs hotter... I have seen a couple threads of people showing screen shots of 80+c on CPU in G46's when not even under full load. I can't speak from personal experience though due to I do not own one. Just others that have shared theirs.

bignazpwns
03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I was saying it runs hotter... I have seen a couple threads of people showing screen shots of 80+c on CPU in G46's when not even under full load. I can't speak from personal experience though due to I do not own one. Just others that have shared theirs.

I know but if you ask some people they will say the G44 runs cooler then prove it by showing some non load temps lol.

Hows your temps now. They should come down 1-3c after the AS5 settles and goes through its thermal cycles.

Vicodin
03-18-2013, 10:08 PM
I know but if you ask some people they will say the G44 runs cooler then prove it by showing some non load temps lol.

Hows your temps now. They should come down 1-3c after the AS5 settles and goes through its thermal cycles.

Hmm. I haven't checked them lately. My hwinfo is showing CPU @ 42c, and GPU @ 33c as of right now. Before repasting in idle they were usually both right around 45c, give or take a few degrees. The factory paste job on the CPU looked pretty good. The GPU however, was pretty poorly done. The full surface of the GPU was not even fully covered, and there seemed to be more paste around it than on it. lol.

scarletvw
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
The GPU however, was pretty poorly done. The full surface of the GPU was not even fully covered, and there seemed to be more paste around it than on it. lol.

Sounds about right for a ASUS factory paste job. Seems as though they figure if they coat the entire surface and everything else they figure it'll work better. Maybe they just have a blind kid pasting all the PC's over in China, who knows.