PDA

View Full Version : G75vw - connect 2 external monitors

Spammy
03-15-2013, 03:06 AM
I currently use the laptop display + VGA port to connect to external monitor. Free is the mini-display port + HDMI. I got a mini-display to VGA adapter to add a third monitor, but this did not work. I was then told that I could only use the mini-display + HDMI, and the VGA had be disabled. I never had luck or saw connecting monitor via HDMI, always used VGA cable.

Anyways, with this notebook, what do I need do to get 2 external monitors + the laptop display? Is there maybe something I need do to enable the mini-display port to run concurrently with VGA port?

cl-Albert
03-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the ROG forums!

Sorry, haven't tried the mini display port either and actually didn't even know the G75VW would support 3 displays until I could get it working now, but wanted to mention my G75VW was able to display through the VGA + HDMI out along with the notebook display at least.
Below is a screenshot showing all 3 displays at once and didn't need to do anything too special except specify if I wanted to extend or clone displays from the nVidia control panel settings.

Win7 was just recovered, so the vga driver was the older version 8.17.12.9644 (don't expect it will matter) and the G75VW was running bios 223.
Below were my steps which you probably don't need to follow exactly.

1. Boot to Win7 desktop without any external monitors connected (notebook display only).
2. External display appeared automatically as soon as first external monitor connected by HDMI through HDMI to DVI connector, but changed from clone to extended display and selected notebook as primary display (notebook plus 1 external monitor).
3. External display appeared automatically as soon as the second external monitor was connected through the vga connector and had to extend displays again (notebook plus 2 external monitors).

Connecting through HDMI works well for me and usually is as easy as connecting through VGA most of the time except that you might need to find the HDMI input signal for some monitors that have multiple inputs, so feel free to discuss this more if you wish.

Hope this helps.

cl-Albert
06-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Forgot to mention my G75VW unit was using the GTX 660M graphics which you also want to check.
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like G75VW owners with the GTX 670M are able to get 3 displays working as in the thread below.

G75 and 3 display ports. Can you run 3 different displays at same time? (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15628-G75-and-3-display-ports.-Can-you-run-3-different-displays-at-same-time)

Zygomorphic
06-13-2013, 12:35 AM
That is due to nVidia's bad naming scheme :(. The GTX670M, while faster than the 660M, is of the older generation. In fact, it is simply a rebadged (and sped-up) version of the 570M. The 660M, on the other hand, is the newer architecture, which is actually capable of supporting 3 displays simultaneously.

cl-Albert
06-13-2013, 01:14 AM
What makes it confusing for me (and others?) is that the G75Vw can have either one of those vga chips which I don't normally see for the same ASUS model, so we need to remember to ask about this too when talking about the G75VW model.