PDA

View Full Version : G74sx power problem

Nicko
03-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Power alternating between AC mode and battery mode. Appears have problem with power adapter (loose pins). I read on this forum that most likely need to replace motherboard. Is that correct. Thanks..

dstrakele
03-16-2013, 02:41 AM
That behavior indicates a charging problem. The cause may be the power adapter, motherboard, or battery. You need to eliminate the ones that are functioning correctly to isolate the problem.

1) Can you boot the laptop and operate it under a load with the battery removed? Does it change the alternating power mode behavior?

2) Can you confirm the power adapter's cable connection to the outlet is properly grounded?

3) Can you confirm the outlet you're using is properly grounded?

4) Are you saying the power connector pin on the laptop is loose?

Nicko
03-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your help.

Answers to the questions:

1) Yes I can boot the computer with the battery removed. There is a message that flashes "AC Mode".
2) Yes properly grounded.
3) Outlet is properly grounded.
4) That is correct the power connector pin on the laptop is loose.

dstrakele
03-16-2013, 06:07 PM
If the power connector pin is loose, ASUS will replace the motherboard. If your laptop is still covered by the Warranty, it may be the most cost effective solution. If you are out of Warranty, you could contract the repair job out to a local qualified computer repair shop. They may just solder the connector pin.

Nicko
03-16-2013, 08:58 PM
You have been extremely helpful. Thanks. Going to send to Asus for repair. Have a square trade warranty so they will cover the cost of repair.

Question: Should or can I upgrade the motherboard from the original to make it more current.

Pitcher@asus
03-18-2013, 02:38 AM
i think it is unable to upgrade MB.