PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx-XR1 Infrared transmitter/Nvidia 3D?

Saint
07-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Hello there,

I recently purchased the G74Sx-XR1 and I was doing a little research about the g series laptops which brought about some questions for me. I noticed that in almost every other g series laptop, it cae bundled with a mouse and a backpack, neither of which came with mine. Is this only the case with the XR1?

In addition to that, I watch a few review and unboxing videos in which, all of the G74 laptops boasted an infrared emitter, which I do not have on my XR1. Again, is this just because of the model?

Lastly, I have an option to enable 3D vision in my start menu, but it does absolutely nothing. I have no Stereoscopic 3D options in my Nvidia control panel either. Not sure what that's about.

Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chastity@ASUS
07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
The XR1 is a retailer's config to lower the price, so they probably reduced the contents of included stuff.

The XR1 would not have come with the NVIDIA emitter and glasses. You will only find that on the 3DE models. You can set it up to use the Discovery glasses, which are red/cyan type.

Saint
07-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Do you have any idea if the screen on the XR1 is the 120hz type screen or whatever is required to support the Stereoscopic version of the 3D?

EDIT: Provided you bought the 3D bundle produced by Nvidia which includes the emitter.

Chastity@ASUS
07-23-2011, 12:25 AM
The XR1 only has a 60Hz screen. You can still do 3D on it, but limited to 30 fps.

macevedo
09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I bought the Nvidia 3D Kit for this laptop (G74SX-XR1). Since I can't use it with the built-in LCD Panel I need to know what cable I need to hook it up to an approved Nvidia 3d Vision Compatible Display. The monitors I've found only offer 120HZ on their Dual-Link DVI ports but their HDMI ports are limited to 60Hhz which will not work with the 3D Vision Kit.

If I buy an HDMI to Dual-Link cable, will I be able to hook it up to one of these 3D Vision compatible displays and enjoy 3D?

Thank you for you time.

Chastity@ASUS
09-05-2011, 07:09 PM
You can use a HDMI to dual-link DVI adapter for your setup. :) Most current vid cards come with one, or you can get a cable that's excellent quality and inexpensive from monoprice.com

I find it odd that your monitor HDMI only supports 60Hz. :shrugs:

macevedo
09-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for your answer Chastity! It helped me to get some things straight. I had no idea there were different types of DVI cables such as dual-link and single-link.

Here is my story on how to get the Nvidia Kit to work on the G74SX-XR1 and an Acer GD235hz:

This was done using an HDMI Male to DVI-Dual Link Female from Radio Shack (you can get one at least $30.00 cheaper at monoprice, but I did not want to wait 4 days for it to get here) and the DVI-D Dual Link cable supplied with the monitor. I also tested it with an HDMI Cable connected to a Female HDMI adapter to a Male DVI-D Dual Link that came with one of my ATI Radeon Cards (The irony here is almost a poem). The procedure works with both adapters.

1. Download the latest NVidia rivers for Notebooks from Nvidia's Site.
2. Download a modfied nvwi.inf that has the Notebook Information for the installation. You may get the file here http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/28586-v27550-windows-7vista-64bit-oem-mobile/ (I only downloaded the modifie .inf and got the official driver from Nvidia.
3. Run the driver installation to unpack the driver. After it gives you the error that it can't find any supportd hardware go to the folder it unpacked the drivers and go to the Display.Driver folder and copy the .inf file.
4. Re-Run the driver installation. You will now be able to install the new display drivers along with the 3dVision drivers.
5. I marked the "Perform Clean Installation" so that it uninstalls everything NVidia related and re-installs all the correct drivers.
6. The computer will need to be restarted twice. Instead of restarting a second time do a shut-down first. Plug in the HDMI adapter and turn on the notebooks.
7. You should see the ASUS logo and later the Windows login / desktop screen on the new monitor and the Notebooks Panel in black.
8. Go to the Display Properties and setup the computer for dual-monitors. The Acer should be your Primary and the LCD on the laptop should be your secondary. It has to be done this way or you won't be able to access the Nvidia Stereo Control Panel.
9. Open the NVidia Control Panel and go to the Set Up Stereoscopic 3D page. Click on the "Enable stereoscopic 3D", Choose your ACER as your 3D Display type and on the "Select when the display is in 3D mode:" choose "Always". We will come back to this setting later.
10. Go to the "Change Resolution" tab , Select the Acer Monitor and click on "Customize".
11. Click on the "Create Custom Resolution" button and acknowledge that you know what you are doing.
12. Change the Hz value to 120 and click on Test. If the screen goes black for more than 5 seconds or video come on but garbled turn off the monitor and turn it back on. This should resolve that issue. Once you can see the dialog confirming that you want to add the resolution click on yes.
13. Click on OK at the Customize Screen. You then select the resolution that has 60hz (not 120hz) and hit Apply. This is very important because if you leave it at 120hz you won't be able to use the monitor because 120hz only works when 3D is enabled. The "Enable Always" setting for some reason doe not work after a reboot so you may have used the 3DVision, watch a movie and everything and after a reboot it does not work anymore.
14. Go back to the Set Up stereoscopic 3D screen change the "Select when the display is in 3D mode:" to "Only while 3D programs run" and hit "Apply"
15. Click the "Test stereoscopic 3D" button.
16. On the Test Dialog choose 120 Hertz, click on "Apply this refresh rate too all games" hit "Apply" and then click on "Launch Test Application"
17. You should see the 3D Image with the glasses in all of its glory. Adjust your depth using the wheel on the back of the Emitter.
18. You are done! Verify that "hot plugging" the monitor to the HDMI port actually changes back to the LCD as primary and that everything works as you would expect it and enjoy 3D.

Hopes this helps people trying to get the most out of their G74sx-XR1 rig.

Mario