PDA

View Full Version : Reacent round of benching ont he GTX 670MX

bignazpwns
03-16-2013, 01:57 PM
These were the last run of benches on the MX. Currently have another card in the system but these scores were the stock card with no volt mod at all.

3DM 11 P5897 GPU 5839

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6190564

3DM Vantage P21976 GPU 21807

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4621569

3DM 2013 Fire strike 3764 GPU 4014

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/384080

furmark 1920X1080 benchmark 1811 points (30 FPS)

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/furmark_192_score.php?id=117384

As you can see the MX loves to be overclocked and even without a volt mod it can pull some pretty impressive numbers. With a volt mod i was able to hit GTX 680m scores all day long pretty easy.

Chino
03-16-2013, 02:40 PM
You should join our benching team and submit those to HWBot. :p

httuner
03-16-2013, 02:49 PM
You should share your volt modded vBios, I would like to exam it and learn off it.

gokica
03-16-2013, 03:01 PM
My GTX 670MX:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/389694

With throttlestop:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/410338

samozen
03-16-2013, 04:12 PM
how you all overclock your card to these scores?

mrwolf
03-16-2013, 04:13 PM
yea bignaz, how can we use your modded vbios ??

I mean i cant really do much since i have a 670M but my friend just got a VX and wants to do the same as you have. I know its not safe and stuff but worth learning about so once we know enough and are 100% comfortable we will put on the modded vbios onto his VX ??

Alot of people would appreciate it im sure.. :)

bignazpwns
03-16-2013, 04:53 PM
You should join our benching team and submit those to HWBot. :p

I'm on hwbot lol. I mainly do desktop benching.

I'll consider uploading a modded bios for the gtx 670mx. It all dapends on how it works out for the few guys I gave it to for testing since the memory timings have been changed. No since in uploading it if it is not going to work on most system stable. It was made for my card and only for my own personal benching so if its stable for the guys testing it I'll upload it if not I'll revert them back to stock then upload it. However I no longer have the 670mx in the G75 so it will be a week or two till I finish this project before I can out the 670 back in and test the bios with the stock timings. I won't upload nothing I have not personally tested.

I'm installing a new ssd Intel sent me for the project so after that's installed I'll upload my tease picture of what I'm working on.

gokica
03-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Can I become a part of the testing team?

bignazpwns
03-16-2013, 06:15 PM
First up is a quick tease of what some extreme cutting and modding along with some custom work done to a heatsink to change the heatpipes over to one that will work with the gpu. But just a heads up this mod will run a min. of $750 not including time or anything and for the over all cost its just not worth it. But i had a spare GTX 680m sitting here so i figure i would test it out. It worked so i started cutting and modding to fit it. Should have it ready to bench next week putting the finishing touches on it and waiting for Kingston to get me my uber ram here

Also i was pulling the clocks in those benches i just listed with no volt mod. Volt modded runs are much much higher ;)

As for testing it out gokica. Really i got enough people. Anything that involves a mod like that i keep under wraps until i have some people i know test it. Really i don't want it getting out in the wild and someone getting it using it and if it causes any damage they blame me. If all goes well next week i'll toss it up if non of them had any issues but like i said its got some pretty aggressive timings on it so i might have to revert them back to stock before i make it public. But i wont upload that until after i finish this project and get the 670mx back in the system. Monday i'll be ordering a replacement heatsink and a new bottom.

Also just point out that i'll only stand behind my bios from my website. That will be the only place i post it. Any place else its not mine as anyone can change anything and upload it. But when i release it i'll make a post and toss up a link but right now my main focus is progression in wow 8/13 and the little free time i have goes into my current G75 project.

gokica
03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
OK. I get it.

I am looking forward to see more of your mods and results.

What I would appreciate the most though is a voltage modding tutorial for the GTX 670MX. The memory and GPU clocks / limits is not that hard but the voltage hex table is something different.

If you have the time to share the knowledge with me than you will not risk by providing your bios with possibly different memory timings. I will just mod my own bios.

Could you just PM me with the basics at least. Like where should I start.

Good luck with your projects.

BTW 992Mhz on the core with no volt mod is just amazing. Golden sample indeed. I can not breach 940 @ 0.925v.

bignazpwns
03-17-2013, 01:52 AM
OK. I get it.

I am looking forward to see more of your mods and results.

What I would appreciate the most though is a voltage modding tutorial for the GTX 670MX. The memory and GPU clocks / limits is not that hard but the voltage hex table is something different.

If you have the time to share the knowledge with me than you will not risk by providing your bios with possibly different memory timings. I will just mod my own bios.

Could you just PM me with the basics at least. Like where should I start.

Good luck with your projects.

BTW 992Mhz on the core with no volt mod is just amazing. Golden sample indeed. I can not breach 940 @ 0.925v.

I'll send you a pm tomorrow. Highest bench clocks I can get at stock volts are 1050 on the core. Those are just the clocks I tested for stability for 12 hours. Only tested 1050 for an hour so can't say if its stable or not. Just did not really have the time. But from every 670mx I seen so far mines the best cloocker I can even under volt it some and hit 950. And it responds very well to higher voltages.

If you do any clocking past 900 and use it for a while check your gpu's heatsink. On some I seen the stock crap tim starts to become runny.

Vicodin
03-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Being you have moved on to the G75vx with the beasty 670mx, how about a good ol modded bios for the guy who still has the G55vw 660m? Not sure if you had a G55 or a G75 with the 660m, but I remember seeing a bench you posted that was 1200+ mhz on the core. I am noob and can only go +135, and I recently re-pasted with some AS5 and my Furmark temps dropped quite a bit. (From 78c stock/82c OC to 70c stock/73c oc) So I know this thing can handle some more!

bignazpwns
03-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Being you have moved on to the G75vx with the beasty 670mx, how about a good ol modded bios for the guy who still has the G55vw 660m? Not sure if you had a G55 or a G75 with the 660m, but I remember seeing a bench you posted that was 1200+ mhz on the core. I am noob and can only go +135, and I recently re-pasted with some AS5 and my Furmark temps dropped quite a bit. (From 78c stock/82c OC to 70c stock/73c oc) So I know this thing can handle some more!

There are a few out there. as well as my original i used. I'll see if i can find it i should have it on a flash drive and if i can i'll send it to you. But looks like you had the trademark Asus paste job. Luckily mt old 660m and even the 670mx had good paste jobs.

Even with a locked bios you can hit the 1100-1200 range you just need to use some of the older drivers as they seem to patched it and i have not tested it since i unlock all my cards but you can always use nvidia inspector to force a pstate and overclock it past the +135 like that.

The GTX 670mx i have stock was 47 idle, 69 load. Overclocked to 900mhz on the core i was 47c idle and 77c load. What is not to shabby considering those temps were with a stock paste job and the cards tdp is 75w vs's the gtx 660m's 45w that the cooling system was originally made for.

So with the stock voltage looks like were doing something along the lines of 37.5mhz per 1c and if i remember right my old GTX 660m was going about 45mhz per 1c. So 7.5mhz per 1c higher on a 45w card vs the 75w card is not all that bad. Also the 7.5mhz per 1c is not going as far as it would on the GTX 670mx i mean those extra cores are beastly when you oc them. However i will say the GTX 660m responds well to a voltmod the GTX 670mx on the other hand can really start to crank those temps up in the 1.1-1.2ghz range with a slight voltage bump but then again your looking at speeds equal to a GTX 680m at that point.

Also keep in mind that just because the temps are good does not mean it can handle more. Your heat pipes can only move so much heat and your heatsink can only dissipate that much. My core gain vs heat gain temps were taken at common overclocks of 1085 on the 660m and 900 on the 670mx. But they do hit a point where the temps can shoot way up when you just overload the heatsink with so much wattage that it can not dissipate the heat. And the G75 can handle more of this then the G55 and i really did no testing on the G55 to see when that breaking point is but i do know it will be lower then a G75 so don't expect to pull the 1300-450 i was pulling i would say the G55's cooling system should handle upto 1200 on a 660m maybe a few more or less but pretty close to that.

That being said if Asus did not skimp on the cooling on these systems and went with some copper heatsink fins and larger dia. pipes on the G55 and a 3 pipe or larger dia 2 pipe on the G75 then these ceilings would be a little higher. Now on the G75 with the GTX 660m i did not see that ceiling. However with the 75w GTX 670mx with a slight volt mod i seen it pretty hard at 1350 on the core. That being said the cooling system is fine for any 45w gpu or a reasonably clocked 75w i just wish they would of lived up all the hype they gave it because when i did a temp shoot out lb for lb the Alienware handled higher overclock's and voltages on a GTX 660m and GTX 670m then the Asus and that system is not really known for its cooling. But then again the G75 also at the same time handled temps laying on the carpet and a lap better then the Alienware. I mean i can make a big huge post about how other systems i tested can and do handle higher clocks and temps better then the G75 but at the same time the G75 is not as sensitive to airflow as those.

gokica
03-17-2013, 02:10 PM
I'll send you a pm tomorrow. Highest bench clocks I can get at stock volts are 1050 on the core. Those are just the clocks I tested for stability for 12 hours. Only tested 1050 for an hour so can't say if its stable or not. Just did not really have the time. But from every 670mx I seen so far mines the best cloocker I can even under volt it some and hit 950. And it responds very well to higher voltages.

If you do any clocking past 900 and use it for a while check your gpu's heatsink. On some I seen the stock crap tim starts to become runny.

OK. Looking forward to hearing from you and thank for the tip about the TIM. I was planning on slapping AS5 soon anyway. I already found some clues about the voltage change but not sufficient to be sure that it works. It turns out like a lot of values are affected to keep the card in one voltage state all the time no matter which P state is on.

bignazpwns
03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
OK. Looking forward to hearing from you and thank for the tip about the TIM. I was planning on slapping AS5 soon anyway. I already found some clues about the voltage change but not sufficient to be sure that it works. It turns out like a lot of values are affected to keep the card in one voltage state all the time no matter which P state is on.

Yeah its pretty complex. Thats why i haven't really posted any info as it can be pretty dangerous and fry a card very easy.

On my system the TIM was ok. Not the best but as you can see the temps are ok so really i wouldn't of just changed it for those. But if your loading in the 75c range stock clocks in a room about 70deg then you should consider repasteing as when a pretty hefty oc on that card i was getting those temps with a stock paste job.

gokica
03-17-2013, 02:40 PM
The TIM application on my card seems proper since even with 930MHz on the core it never goes beyond 72 degrees while benching. But I will change it anyway once I get the chance. Thanks.

bignazpwns
03-17-2013, 03:37 PM
The TIM application on my card seems proper since even with 930MHz on the core it never goes beyond 72 degrees while benching. But I will change it anyway once I get the chance. Thanks.

no problem just check your temps with furmark that's gets it hotter then 3dmark.

gokica
03-23-2013, 10:13 PM
The latest score (1030/2600):

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/429219

I am satisfied. Enough for today. I am gonna get me some beer. :cool:

KTZeen
06-21-2014, 01:02 AM
Hi Gokica, anyway to share your knowlegde of unlocking the voltage? I am using the unlocked gpu core and mem and have only gotten it to 896 before it crashes going any higher.