PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading G60Jx from 720Qm to 820Qm

emigdion
03-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Good day,

I am trying to update from 720qm to 820qm I read that since it is the same G1 Socket and the TDP 45W it is the same it should be compatible and are some peoples that successfully did the upgrade, Found a cheap 820qm ES from Ebay and bought it, it arrived I just opened my machine replaced the CPU and Voila I try to turn it on and just the 3 lights next to the power buttons turns on, sometimes the CAPS LOCK light turns on too... I feel the CPU getting hot but nothing happen NO POST, NO BOOT :(, I checked if everything was right, updated from the home page to BIOS 208(latest they offer) and still the same, and putting back my 720qm just give life to my laptop again.

What you guys think?, BAD CPU? or am I doing something wrong?

Hope I can get a Good News answer. Thank you.

Zygomorphic
03-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Possibly a bad CPU. If t was cheap on eBay, you can't be certain that the seller didn't scam you. The CPU is compatible in theory. It has all the right specs (TDP, socket, etc.) but you can't guarantee that the individual chip that you bought is working. My advice would be to attempt to return the chip. Honestly, at this point, it may be worth upgrading to a newer computer (faster CPU, much better GPU, more memory, etc) than trying to upgrade a system that is at least three years old.

emigdion
03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks, I understand that the laptop is old but I still can play modern games(Tomb raider 2013, dead space 3, crysis 3 was mean with my non DX11 card) with FPs around 40 in normal conditions ,40+ in good conditions, 15 in bad conditions (heavy graphics) , and 30 FPs with the sync (with antialiasing, and the other filter disabled), watch 3D movies :) after repairing the thermal paste which brought the temps down I am still being very happy with my system, an upgrade will cost me more for a difference I might not notice :D, I contacted the seller and he accepted a return. I just want a core I7 first gen faster than the 720 without doing a major upgrade.

Hope you can understand, thank you.

Zygomorphic
03-17-2013, 10:26 AM
The 840QM is 1.86 GHz, which means it is faster than the 1.6 GHz 720QM, but not by enough to notice. However, the 720QM is the first of the quad-core i7's, while the 840QM is a slightly newer version of the model line. It is still the same architecture (unlike the 2nd-gen i7's), but it was launched a year later. That may also have something to do with it. I doubt that CPU increase will be noticeable, to be honest with you. Glad the seller accepted a return, and if you can get that CPU cheap, upgrading makes sense! :) Sources:
http://ark.intel.com/products/43125/Intel-Core-i7-840QM-Processor-8M-Cache-1_86-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/43124/Intel-Core-i7-820QM-Processor-8M-Cache-1_73-GHz

emigdion
03-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Wow thanks for the additional information didn't know that the x40qm family was available to, do you think that the upgrade won't mark a significant difference?, I also bought a SSD and 2 more GB of ram :), hope it can handle just one year more or maybe 2 that would be great.

But if you believe that the CPU change won't mark a significant difference then I will hold up until my next laptop upgrade.

Thank you for spending your time reading and answering my posts.

*edit* forgot to add do you think that I got a faulty CPU? Or it was incompatible? Maybe I find a great deal some day and upgrade after all.

Thanks

Zygomorphic
03-19-2013, 09:18 PM
CPU is probably faulty. I wouldn't bother with the CPU upgrade, save the money for a bigger SSD or your next computer. Glad to help out! :)