PDA

View Full Version : G75VX will not recognize SSD for formatting

josuna123
03-17-2013, 05:56 AM
I'm having trouble doing a clean install for my Samsung 840 Pro SSD on my ASUS G75VX.

First, I tried replacing the SSD with the original HDD, but when it boots it takes me directly to the BIOS screen where it detects the SSD, although it won't let me make any changes for boot order or boot directly from the SSD.

Second, I tried keeping the HDD in the primary slot and the SSD in the secondary and booted from the HDD, but my SSD will not be recognized from neither My Computer or under "Create and format hard disk partitions".

Keep in mind my SSD IS being detected from the BIOS screen. What is the problem?

Thanks in advance!

josuna123
03-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Another note, not even the Data Migration software that came with the SSD will recognize it. This leads me to believe the second hard drive bay may be disabled?

Vicodin
03-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Windows 8 or Windows 7?

Either way, try right clicking on my computer, select manage, and then go down on the left and click on Disk Management. Does it show up there?

I just installed a mSATA SSD in my G55, and I will say it was hell for me. Tons of issues, one of which you are having. Finally, I found MACRIUM. Macrium cloned my HDD to my SSD, let me select specific partitions before doing so, (Just do the 300mb EFI one, and the OS) and fired up first try! No alignment issues or anything!

rewben
03-17-2013, 07:35 AM
hi @josuna123, from your post i am really not sure what's going on.

1. which os are you trying to do the clean install? (w7, w8, w8 pro?)
2. if you are installing os other than w8 (non-pro), have you done the routine: disable secure boot; disable fastboot and enable launch csm?
3. which route (dvd, usb) did you use to do clean install?

from your description, it sounded like you haven't done anything yet (including not even booting with the installer). you can spam the esc key on boot and select your boot option; select uefi:<dvd.or.usb> to proceed (make sure your install media are properly inserted).

for the second one, have you already activated your ssd and format it? you can follow what Vicodin said to do that.

Pitcher@asus
03-18-2013, 06:39 AM
if you just plug SSD to primary, is it able to detect?

josuna123
03-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Sorry it took a while for my reply guys, I was trying to solve this problem all day and just barely got around to posting an update.

Luckily I can say I solved the issue and I'll post what happened here so that if anyone has the same issue they can find it:
I first tried plugging the SSD by itself in which it would boot directly to the BIOS menu where it was being detected but I could not get into windows 8.

Second, I tried plugging the HDD to the primary slot and the SSD to the secondary and this time it booted all the way and it also showed the SSD in BIOS, but the SSD would not show up under Disk Managemnt to partition it.

Lastly, I put the SSD in the primary and the HDD in the secondary and it was finally detected in Disk Managment, thus I was able to successfully partition it. From everything I read it seemed SSD's were supposed to be initialized either from a secondary slot or from a clean install with just the SSD, but I guess this is what worked for me.