PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray internal for G75VX?

JordanPop
03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Hey all! Just got my g75vx and i was wondering if there was a certain internal Bluray drive that will fit? I apologize if there is already a thread for this.

rewben
03-17-2013, 10:49 AM
you can check out the ASUS store (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3181) for a good selection of the drives.

bignazpwns
03-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Ebay is your friend. Very easy to instal and you can even look up G75 blue ray burner and the ones that will work will pop up. I put mine in from another system that no official support was ever listed and it works fine. I did that to burn the recovery disk.

Keep in mind the Asus store will be more expensive. I prefer a solid power seller on ebay

$114 shipped with bezel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G75-G75V-G75VW-SERIES-Replacement-Blu-Ray-BD-ROM-CD-DVD-RW-DRIVE-W-BEZEL-/160990525688?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item257bc878f8

$66 use your own bezel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-ASUS-G75VW-G73SW-G53SX-G53Jw-G60JX-Blu-ray-BD-ROM-Combo-Drive-Replacement-/151004123017?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item23288c0f89

$69 HL CT30N use your own bezel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6X-BD-ROM-Blu-Ray-Combo-Drive-DVD-Burner-CT30N-for-ASUS-G75-G75V-G75VW-/121066274344?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item1c301cbe28

Pitcher@asus
03-18-2013, 08:15 AM
yep, i think you can search asus product, it may be able to use.

JordanPop
03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I can't wait to get it installed when I get back from traveling. I purchased this monster for media and light gaming while I am traveling. I am not too savvy when it comes to computer stuff. I simply don't have the time to really focus on being more knowledgable. I am really glad this forum is here. Very helpful for tech-tards like me. The Bluray drive is something that will be easy for me. However, Trying to swap HDD to SSD has been a real pain in my rear. I looked through the forums and found some info on Macrium and cloning the drive. I followed the steps and it Didn't work for me. I think I just didn't clone the right partitions? Hardware is not a problem for me, its software related stuff that I am in the dark about. I am considering purchasing a copy of Windows 8 and just doing it the traditional way. I am not really sure why the computer doesn't come with recovery disks and basic drivers. Either way, I love this new rig. With a SSD it will rival my new build, which is impressive considering it will end up costing me about $800 less. Either way, I am just typing to type now. Thanks again!

vitozilla
04-25-2013, 06:39 PM
@ JordanPop

The conversion to the SSD is really simple!
1) Turn off computer, remove battery, and hold power key for 10secs (ensures electric discharge).
2) Install new SSD in the open bay. Ensure it is firmly seated and secured.
3) Turn on computer, on the charm bar select settings, change pc settings, general, advance startup.
4) Select the troubleshoot pc settings and launch the update UEFI firmware settings.
5) Your computer will restart and you will be in the BIOS now. Go over to the Boot tab, down to SATA settings and confirm your new drive is present. Save new settings and exit.
6) After your computer restarts and your back at your start screen, press the WIN + X key. Select Disk management. Your new SSD should be listed as Disk 1 (original is Disk 0) and will be unallocated. Right click and select format. Unless you have some reason to go back to an older OS, I would recommend the GPT format (vice MBT). You will want to use the NFTS file system.
7) Use Windows or some other back up program (like Acronis) and clone your original disk to the new SSD.
8) Once this process is complete your new SSD should be ready to go. I would recommend shutting down, and swapping the drives (using the steps 1-5 as mentioned above) so the SSD will be the OS and program drive. I just put my SSD in the original bay by itself to verify everything would start up as expected (but a lot faster!). After confirming this, I put the original drive in the previously open bay (using steps 1-5 again), and reformatted...now serves as a 1TB internal storage drive for lots of media while on the go!

Before doing any of this, I would recommend creating a USB recovery drive (the USB drive needs to be at least 16GB and will serve no other function in life...keep it safe and don't loose it, especially if you decide you want to delete the recovery partition afterwards) and if possible backing up the original HDD to a portable drive.

Hope this helps!