PDA

View Full Version : So I've used the horrible Windows 8 for a month....

Matrix Leader
03-18-2013, 01:46 AM
I installed Windows 8 Pro to try it on my laptop since ASUS has all the necessary drivers for Windows 8....

1) Had to revert to registry hacking to disable Hibernation as the old command line in DOS doesn't work on Windows 8 (powercfg -h off)

Instead, I had to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power

In the right pane of the Power key, double click/tap on HibernateEnabled

To disable Hibernation, simply change the value to 0, to enable it, set it to 1

2) Had to do more registry editing to fully disable UAC because if you disable it regularly from the User Accounts page, you still get prompts everytime you want to rename or copy a file to c:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

3) I like my icon spacing to be a bit wider for me to see the full text rather than truncated text. In Windows 7 you can easily do it from the Appearance / Color settings, now that's gone

so I had to do this:

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap on OK.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.
3. In regedit, navigate to the location below. (see screenshots below steps 4A and 5A)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

4. To Change the Desktop Icon “Horizontal” Spacing
A) In the right pane of WindowMetrics, double click/tap on IconSpacing to modify it.
B) Type in a value between -480 to -2730, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: The default setting is -1125. The minimum amount of space is -480, and the maximum is-2730.

4) I installed ClassicShell, it's not the same as the Windows 7 Start Menu, so I bought StartIsBack which gives you an exact replica for the Windows 7 Start menu...very well on that part...

5) I use MPC-HC + SVP (Smooth Video Project) + ReClock to increase the volume (gain) in movies o sound louder on my laptop speakers. Well, re-clock doesn't work right on Windows 8 even when you force it to load with MPC-HC, the gain increase has no effect on the volume.

6) I install a brand new OS and have to get like 400 MB worth of updates and 3 diff. reboots.... right...

7) I absolutely hate the fact that right clicking on a file takes a very long time until the context menu appears. I googled this problem and others say it might be one of the programs that installs a right click context menu entry that might be causing the issue. well it happens right from the start as soon as I am installing my drivers BEFORE any installation of other software so I know that's not the case! I love how my right click happens instantly in Windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So after using it for a month, and making it somehow function like a real OS.... I thought.....why did I go through all that trouble? for what? there is NO REASON to use Windows 8..all you might get is annoyances or software that doesn't work 100% well

With that said, I formatted and installed Windows 7 and man did it feel much better! I don't have to re-invent the wheel to get my OS functioning like I want...

So to all those Windows 8 heroes who constantly defend it and bash anyone who dislikes it! I tell you. it's not a simple matter as installing that crumbled ClassicShell! It takes much more to get it to work as a normal OS and all this with 0 benefits over Windows 7

Screw you Microsoft for releasing the worst OS in history!

rewben
03-18-2013, 02:25 AM
hm.. i didn't know it's that complicated and troublesome to some users. to me i don't need to do so many adjustments to fit my use (basically it's just install and use :/). thanks for the solutions to these problems :)

1. powecfg -h off does work for me.
2. i don't disable uac.
3. i don't use classicshell now. after a few weeks of usage, i am now used to pressing win+d to go to desktop; the win key alone to get to metro ui; win+x to get to event viewer, system, device manager, disk management, command prompt, and control panel from a popup menu.
4. i don't have to wait painfully for a context menu to pop up.
5. for people like me who frequent clean installs, i use wsus offline (http://download.wsusoffline.net/) to download and keep an offline copy of all the OS updates i need.

cheek
03-18-2013, 03:16 AM
functionality changes are inevitable. cosmetic changes comes along with every new windows os. win 8 is NOT tailored made for you. microsoft made it for a few billion people. there is 100% probability some annoyance is gonna popup. everyone has use win 7 for a couple of years. when everyone hardcore os tweaker switch to win 8, there is bound to tons of tweaks that doesnt work anymore. this applies to every windows os updates. whether its from xp to vista to win 7 to win 8. this will happen over and over again until the day u die every time there is a new windows os. personally i like the challenges. something not to my liking? i'll regedit, resource hacker out of it. i try to make the os fuction in the way i like it to be.
my advice is to live with it. or try the world's most advance operating system - osx mountain lion. or the keyboard friendly linux.