PDA

View Full Version : Buying a G55 - RoG Community Help :)

Hearny
03-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi guys!
Needless to say, I am DYING to get a G55 and be apart of this community, as my current laptop is out-of-date and too big (17") to carry to and from Uni/work. Problem? Acquiring one in Australia without spending a mint. Options? Importing.

So here's what I want: The Asus G55VW-DH71.
i7
Upgrade to 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
2GB GTX660M
128GB Crucial mSATA for OS and games
New thermal paste seeing as though the chassis will be open anyway.

Heres what I want it for:
Games - WoW and LoL.
Programs - Altium DSX, Solidworks, various IDE's and coding programs.

After looking for countless hours I think my only option is to buy the base model and upgrade once it hits the shore. Price-wise I think there is little difference buying the parts separately as opposed to buying and having someone like HIDevolution or XOTIC install them before shipping, except the importing tax when it gets here. Eg: for a $1400 laptop it will cost an extra $278!!! just to get it off customs (scaling as the price increases over $1000)... So I think it is my best option to buy the base model for ~$1200 (declare less than $1000 - no tax) and upgrade it when it gets here.

So I'm looking for some advice from this community in either finding something more appropriate or advice on the complexity of upgrading the G55 by myself and saving on import and labor at the local tech shop fitting the upgrades or whether its better to have a pro do it all. Also if anybody has any advice on a clean OS (no bloatware and sh*t I'll never use), moving the OS onto the SSD and anything else to build this monster.

Look forward to being apart of this community ;)
Hearny

Hearny
03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Also, I would like to put a Bigfoot Killer Wireless card in but there are 2x2 and 3x3 MIMO antenna setups available, how many antenna does the G55 have/support?

ggBanks
03-18-2013, 11:25 AM
I suggest you read some threads into the forum to make sure you really want to spend so much money on such a thing, because later on there is at least 50% chance you will regret it!

I am sending my G55 for a second RMA today!

kikich
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Hearny I am going to sell my G55 because i am buying G46 if and it comes with 20 months international warranty if you are interested send me a message and i will send you more details :)

bignazpwns
03-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi guys!
Needless to say, I am DYING to get a G55 and be apart of this community, as my current laptop is out-of-date and too big (17") to carry to and from Uni/work. Problem? Acquiring one in Australia without spending a mint. Options? Importing.

So here's what I want: The Asus G55VW-DH71.
i7
Upgrade to 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
2GB GTX660M
128GB Crucial mSATA for OS and games
New thermal paste seeing as though the chassis will be open anyway.

Heres what I want it for:
Games - WoW and LoL.
Programs - Altium DSX, Solidworks, various IDE's and coding programs.

After looking for countless hours I think my only option is to buy the base model and upgrade once it hits the shore. Price-wise I think there is little difference buying the parts separately as opposed to buying and having someone like HIDevolution or XOTIC install them before shipping, except the importing tax when it gets here. Eg: for a $1400 laptop it will cost an extra $278!!! just to get it off customs (scaling as the price increases over $1000)... So I think it is my best option to buy the base model for ~$1200 (declare less than $1000 - no tax) and upgrade it when it gets here.

So I'm looking for some advice from this community in either finding something more appropriate or advice on the complexity of upgrading the G55 by myself and saving on import and labor at the local tech shop fitting the upgrades or whether its better to have a pro do it all. Also if anybody has any advice on a clean OS (no bloatware and sh*t I'll never use), moving the OS onto the SSD and anything else to build this monster.

Look forward to being apart of this community ;)
Hearny
Save some money and just get 32gigs of normal ram. Outside benchmarks you will never see a gain using the Vengeance. Spend the money you would of spent on the veng. and go with a 256gig MSATA drive.

Programs will be fine. Wow will run fine however you wont be able to run max shadows and 8X MSAA at 1920X1080 in 25m's or 40m's.

As for re-pasting check your temps. If you got good temps chances are a new paste job will only get you 1-3c lower temps and that's not really worth it since you cant oc the cpu and its a pretty good job to rip it apart to repaste it.

As for the OS. Just download the windows 8 home prem 64bit iso from Microsoft and burn it then make a dvd with your drivers and install from that. Less bloat then what they put on the factory image and windows 8 will detect the SSD and set up the install for it.

Also people will say you dont need 32gigs but by what you said those programs your gonna be useing will make use of it. Heck my main desktop a sandy bridge e has 64gigs of ram in it and you would be surprised how much faster the extra ram makes stuff like autocad

Also don't look at the G46. The low res will suck really really bad for cad and codeing. But i know you know this already i would consider 1920X1080 to be the bare min. for cad. Heck the systems at my work are running 2 displays at 2560 X 1440.

Killer cards are pretty nice but honestly i would just go with a intel centrino. I have had issues with my bigfoot and my works wifi. Seems to not like the commercial wifi some times.

bignazpwns
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
DBL post. Gotta love Verizion Fios.

pathfindercod
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
People keep saying download the iso from Microsoft.... HOW? Only way I can see I'd you have to have a msdn account...

Ben615
03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Make sure you purchase an extended warranty because there seems to be an issue with these laptops. Mine is going for its 3rd rma today. Regretting the decision not to just buy a desktop and build myself instead.

Vicodin
03-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Save some money and just get 32gigs of normal ram. Outside benchmarks you will never see a gain using the Vengeance. Spend the money you would of spent on the veng. and go with a 256gig MSATA drive.

This^ The laptop you are looking at is the same one I have. I love it! I added 2x 4gb of the stock ram (so it all matches) and that only cost me 35.00. I also installed a mSATA 240gb SSD myself for 209.00. Are you purchasing the laptop from HIDevolution? Judging by what you are describing it appears that you are.

DeltaActual
03-18-2013, 09:05 PM
You want my help to make a decision? DO NOT BUY IT! There...

Hearny
03-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Wow, lot of negativity... But hey take it with a grain of salt right?

So to ggBanks & BenAsus why the multiple RMA's? Similar problems? Suggests that as usual its a service warranty on defects and not replacement warranty.

DeltaActual, lol. I was just wanting some user feedback. Having said that, why should I NOT BUY IT?

Vicodin - I'm not looking to buy one from HIDevolution, only used their site as a reference. The import tax would kill me if i was to buy it through them :(

Bignazpwns - Thanks man! Appreciate the info. You're spot on, screen res and RAM size are essential for what I want to do. Currently there is no difference (ebay aus) in price between the Corsair 1333mhz and the vengeance 1600mhz 8gb sticks, so naturally I'll be throwing the 1600mhz sticks in. Fair point on the wireless card, saves money that I'll put towards the 256gb msata drive then. Do brands matter in SSD's or are they all pretty decent? I'm with pathfindercod on this one though, how exactly do you download the iso from Microsoft? And the dvd for all the drivers, is this done by transferring straight from the system to dvd or downloading from support sites and burning to a dvd? Again, appreciate the advice mate! :)

ggBanks
03-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Well I'll just say one word BIOS! First RMA was after I updated my BIOS from version 209 to 217. I know I shouldn't have done it if everything was working fine, but what's done is done. I sent it for a repair waited 1 whole month then got it back with changed mobo and with BIOS version 214 which is the previous to 217. Yesterday The computer would not read my flash drive. I tried the flash drive on 2 other computers and it worked fine, I even did a full format to it on one of the 2 other computers and then plugged it back into mine, and... nothing. The computer says that the flash drive is damaged or corrupted somehow. Then I decided to go into the BIOS and look at the settings, just to check out what's going on there. Didn't see anything, so At the end I didn't do anything but I chose "save and exit" anyway and after that the computer won't start. Just like the previous brick. Seems like the BIOS wasn't built properly and everytime you enter it and exit it bricks itself. What a piece of crap!

RobinPichu
03-19-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure if you tried HIDEvolution yet, I know a few people from youtube put in description saying that they bought it from there, and had custom mod to have better cpu, thermal paste, ram, hdd, recovery disc and everything. Maybe you can try there?

Personal recommendation is wait after March 22-24, PAX East 2013, maybe they might announce something new and you might actually want that more than this, but if not, getting the g55 now wouldn't hurt.

bignazpwns
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Wow, lot of negativity... But hey take it with a grain of salt right?

So to ggBanks & BenAsus why the multiple RMA's? Similar problems? Suggests that as usual its a service warranty on defects and not replacement warranty.

DeltaActual, lol. I was just wanting some user feedback. Having said that, why should I NOT BUY IT?

Vicodin - I'm not looking to buy one from HIDevolution, only used their site as a reference. The import tax would kill me if i was to buy it through them :(

Bignazpwns - Thanks man! Appreciate the info. You're spot on, screen res and RAM size are essential for what I want to do. Currently there is no difference (ebay aus) in price between the Corsair 1333mhz and the vengeance 1600mhz 8gb sticks, so naturally I'll be throwing the 1600mhz sticks in. Fair point on the wireless card, saves money that I'll put towards the 256gb msata drive then. Do brands matter in SSD's or are they all pretty decent? I'm with pathfindercod on this one though, how exactly do you download the iso from Microsoft? And the dvd for all the drivers, is this done by transferring straight from the system to dvd or downloading from support sites and burning to a dvd? Again, appreciate the advice mate! :)

For the work you do you need a drive that is not only fast but the firmware is tested like no other and is pretty much enterprise grade. Intel 520. The Samsung 840 pros are nice however i would not trust them for any kind of work as they are unproven and the firmware is not even close to being tested as much as intels. I mean you can chance it and it could never mess up but i would personally only trust a intel either 520 or msata 525. Reall for the work you will be doing all it will have to do it mess up one time and that could be a really bad situation for you.

If you need i can get you a link to the windows 8 dl. I'll have to dig it up just pm me. As for the drivers they are all online from the asus website.

Ben615
03-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Since the date of purchase my laptop blue screened every month until now. And its weird, not under any heavy processes, just when the laptop is in battery power, its bluetooth and wifi are off and its on powersaver. The lowest power consuming setting doing nothing but using microsoft word. It seems power related but 3rd rma and it has not been fixed. And yes, its a parts warranty and not a replacement warranty so I do suggest you get a product replacement plan just as a safeguard. That's my lesson.

Hearny
03-20-2013, 04:19 AM
ggBanks and BenAsus - appreciate the info, and I'm sorry about your situation. Never good having to run around so much for a computer :(

RobinPichu - I have looked at HIDevolution extensively, again its just the importing tax I will pay on it once it hits Australian customs where I can avoid all that extra money doing it once I get my hands on it. And very good idea, might hold out a couple more days to see what PAX brings, not that I could afford to buy a brand new model once it comes out but maybe a price drop in current models. Cheers!

bignazpwns - I'll pm you shortly for information, again greatly appreciate the forum support from yourself and the others.