PDA

View Full Version : G46 hard drive noise

ROGrontx
03-19-2013, 04:56 AM
Hey all, just purchased a G46vw today. The first thing I noticed after turning it on is how noticeable the hard drive noise is. I think it's the normal mechanical noise that comes from spinning HD. (And the noise is only noticeable when the HD light is on) But I would have to say the noise coming from the G46 is probably the loudest I have heard in any laptop I have had. Am I just over reacting? BTW, Love the laptop so far. Thanks for your input.

ROGrontx
03-19-2013, 04:58 AM
More information: it's the BB version with the Seagate 750GB hard drive.

Pitcher@asus
03-19-2013, 06:24 AM
you can search from here, i think difference HDD have difference spec and noise sound is difference, if you can, you can change other brand HDD to test.

gypsymoth
03-19-2013, 07:28 AM
My G46VW is extremely quiet when it's on. I can hear the hard drive if I really want to notice it, but it's not loud. It's no louder than any other hard drive I've used in the past. If you have other hard drives around the house, you can do a quick comparison.

dstrakele
03-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Check in Device Manager to confirm you have the Seagate HDD. If so, download SeaTools from the Seagate website and run this diagnostic utility to confirm your HDD is healthy. If you find your laptop actually has a Hitachi HDD, they have been reported to be noisier than the other brands.

ROGrontx
03-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all your responses so far. I did check under device manager and it is the st750lm022 hn-m750mbb. I downloaded the SeaTools last night and ran all the short tests, and all of them passed (running the long one now). Compare to my other laptop (a Dell with a 5400rpm HD), the spinning noise is a lot more noticeable. I have a old seagate 250GB laying around, maybe I'll try to clone the current HD on it, and run it from the cloned drive to see if there's any difference.

Thank you for all your input.

colpolite
03-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Time to get an SSD.

dclanz
03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Time to get an SSD.

Mhm, if you can't take the noise and would like the system even faster...upgrade to a SSD. :)