PDA

View Full Version : G75vx?

willy
03-19-2013, 05:34 AM
I am new to this site and just ordered the best buy model. I have a few questions, just wondering if people here are happy with the 670mx? Also I'm looking at putting a ssd in it, is it easy to move the os between drives or should I pay best buy $100 for a year of tech support and Have them do it for me? Another thing is I heard that you can't burn a backup discuss with win8 on Asus laptops but the guy at best buy says that you can just wondering who's right. Any help would be appreciated.

bignazpwns
03-19-2013, 06:08 AM
The GTX 670MX is pretty nice. Stomps the GTX 660m and GTX 670m into the ground all day long pretty easy and with some overclocking you can match GTX 675MX speeds and with a little more most wont pull it on stock volts but my card was able to. You can match a stock clocked GTX 680m.

Installing the drive is easy. Installing is where things get tricky but its not bad. Just fire up the windows search and search windows 7 recovery. Gives you 2 options to make a recovery disk for windows 8 and a set of recovery dvd's. I

There at a ton of guide online on installing a SSd into a system. And a ton of vids on youtube.

Pitcher@asus
03-19-2013, 06:30 AM
asus have make recover partition, also you can search here, a lot of people sharing here, but you don't know how to do it, you also can pay money to best buy and get it quickly.

willy
03-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to do it my self and put the 100$ towards the ssd. The 670mx should be good for me since I'm not that picky about graphics it's just that the new consoles are coming out and I don't want an obsolete system after a year or two since I've kept my last two laptops 4-5 yrs.

Living Room Rocker
03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi, Willy. I am just going to put this out there... The G75VX is an excellent laptop. There are complaints on the screen and I think the wireless card, but for the most part it is a pretty nice machine. That being said (and not to bash ASUS or this machine), it is not future proof by any means. That is, it does not have the latest technology available with other competing laptops. Also, you may want to consider whether it has a Thunderbolt port. It's very new to PCs, but it adds tremendous expansion possibilities (yet to hit the PC peripheral market). The G75VX is a great machine and will be good for 4-5 years, but will soon be left behind as technologies continue to steadily (if not swiftly) advance as it has for the last ten years. So, yeah it can be considered "obsolete" even within a year, that depends on your needs. I personally would not consider it a "high-end" gaming laptop/notebook, but it is close (particularly for the price, another factor to consider).

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

willy
03-20-2013, 06:29 PM
The website never mentioned thunderbolt but there is a little thunderbolt sticker next to the display port so I'm thinking it does. The website also said no blue tooth and the icon's on the computer screen so I have that as well. As for other options out there in was looking at a clevo based machine and the keyboard was crap never mind the chassis looked cheap as well. Alien wares are just too expensive and the upgrade options are a complete ripoff.

willy
03-20-2013, 10:38 PM
I can't believe the best buy model has 802.11ac,bluetooth and thunderbolt.

Living Room Rocker
03-21-2013, 03:56 AM
I can't believe the best buy model has 802.11ac,bluetooth and thunderbolt.

Believe...believe.

(Too bad it doesn't have Blueray, but hey, can't have everything.)