PDA

View Full Version : Where a GPU like the ENGTX580 take is power

Area 66
07-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Ok, I see some pics of 24pins connectors burn on some forums, Since I plan to increase my folding farm to mainly GPU one, I worry a little bit; is the GPU are taking all the power from the 2 pcie connectors, or some come from the motherboard, I think the board can provide until 75 watts, but what is the power a GPU like the ENGTX580 ( just as example) draw from the motherboard. Will it be better to choose a board with an extra 12v connectors near the pcie slot ?

P.S. those burn connectors was not from Asus board

Brian@ASUS
07-22-2011, 07:51 PM
GPU draws power from the pci-e lane and pci-e connectors. so yes the power comes from the 24 pin but overclocked on air, it wont burn our the board, you have to be pushing serious power, and of course you'll need a powerful psu. the board and psu will shut itself down before burning itself with over current/voltage protection. in theory though, the extra molex power can help create cleaner power to the pci-e lanes.

xeromist
07-22-2011, 07:54 PM
V2-V3 has actually melted a PCI-E slot with a volt-modded card :) I also have a friend that works in the audio equipment industry and they have burnt boards from too many PCI-E cards drawing maximum wattage. However, both of these cases are pretty extreme even compared to a multi-card folding setup. You should have no problems folding on 3 cards full tilt, for example. What kind of setup are you looking to build?

Area 66
07-22-2011, 08:23 PM
What kind of setup are you looking to build?

thanks, guys, ok I plan to use 2 boards , the first one a Maximus III formula with a i5-750 that I retire, I will install 2 x ENGTX560 DCII ( I like those card and they give a good PPD 12,000 compare to 15,000 with my ENGTX580. But I plan to make a 4 GPU build, any board suggestion?

My question was because I see a guy using 7 boards from another manufacturer, with on each, 2 x HD 6990 and he burn 7 x 24 pins sockets. (he is making bit point with those one)

xeromist
07-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Did he volt mod them at all? If he's just running two stock cards on a stock board and the board fries then either the board or the cards are defective.

Anyway, if you want to run 4 cards then you should be fine with an appropriately sized PSU or two. If you get one of the current boards you can get the extra 4-pin molex power port which you can use to ease strain on the 24pin.

I'd be most worried about cooling rather than power. 4 cards generate a lot of heat and they tend to be packed tightly together on boards that support 4 cards. You will want to make sure that you have a well ventilated case or just fold on a torture rack with an extra spot fan.

Area 66
07-22-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a spare 1200w, but the more I think about it the more I will go with 3 boards ( including the Maximus I have already ) and 2 GPU on each with a good space betwen them, they will be in my lab on a bench. with 2 new one if I want to play with OC , I will not shut down 4 GPU , but only 2 at a time

Six Foot Ginger
07-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Another person with a folding Farm nice!!

I am not running any of video cards, just the CPU's.

The video cards are really expensive to run and generate allot of heat.

Just to get an idea of the pull my two 580s when OCed pull a little over a 1000 watt and around 4 or amps with CPU OCed as well.

If you are on a 15 AMP circuit then 3 board with video may push the limits of that circuit but, I am willing to bet it will run.

Area 66
07-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I know all the pro and con of using GPU, I also have a 1366 CPU build in preparation. I want to use the 2 GPU folding rig for other purpose when I need them, so they will not be 100% dedicated to folding My computer shop is in a building on the side of my house and it have is own 200A box , power is not a problem, every outlet on my benches are on individual circuit. Some 15A some 20A , I hope they will produce heat, it's down to -30'C here in Winter, but now it'S dam hot so I prepare my stufs for September