PDA

View Full Version : Ya my G75VW will be back in 2 days

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-19-2013, 09:19 AM
After waiting more than a month to get my laptop back i have been told that it should be back in my hands
on Thursday, hopefully they have actually fixed it this time and not used a band aid solution of replacing the GPU
with an even more defective GPU.

IF not i will be requesting a full replacement as it's still under warranty and as it's taken more than a month to be fixed i won't getting them to fix it again.

So fingers Cross, will let you all know on Thursday, in fact i will post a reply from the laptop.

Edit: See last post for update.

SpeedyPC
03-19-2013, 10:37 AM
What happen to the GPU? did you over cooked it, screwed it, fiddle with it, scratch it or even pee on it :D

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
No none of that there was graphical flicker every 10-20 seconds when playing any game and every 5-30second when just in desktop, I tried every thing to reduce it, but nothing worked didn't matter what drivers I used none of them got rid of it, I sent it in for repair in October last year and it came back and it appeared to have been fixed but i run the setup for 3d vision and bam it was back again, so after again trying to fix it with new driver I again sent it in and it failed their test and was said to have been fixed and failed again, they assigned a tech just yesterday (Monday) after waiting for the parts last week.
Now it has been fixed as is I guess under going testing and will be sent to my local Harvey Norman store , who sent it to them on the 9th of Feb.
So fingers crossed that it will be working when i get it.

PS: I don't Overclock as I'm not too sure on how to do it and i don't want to screw it up, is safer to leave it as normal and just use the Intel speed booster thing that comes with I7 CPU's, if anything i would increase the fan speed but that would be it.

pathfindercod
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Please report back and let us know if they actually fixed it.

bignazpwns
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
After waiting more than a month to get my laptop back i have been told that it should be back in my hands
on Thursday, hopefully they have actually fixed it this time and not used a band aid solution of replacing the GPU
with an even more defective GPU.

IF not i will be requesting a full replacement as it's still under warranty and as it's taken more than a month to be fixed i won't getting them to fix it again.

So fingers Cross, will let you all know on Thursday, in fact i will post a reply from the laptop.

I hope you at least get a system back with less problems then when you sent it to them. I mean i would say i hope it gets backs 100% but that would be a first lol.

Lets us know if its fixed, any new problems if any, any cosmetic damage that was not there when you sent it.

On a side not my phone stopped working today. Not 5 min after calling Verizion i had a replacement in the mail and will be here tomorrow. That is how you handle this sort of stuff!

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I will do that as soon as it get home and start it up, well maybe after I update the video drivers and install a few games
to test out if they fixed it.

will test it with the following games, maybe not all straight away but over the coming weeks.
AC3
Gw2
SWTOR
farcry3
ME3
Hitman: Absolution
Skyrim
Sleeping Dogs (has it's own bench mark tool in game)
Borderlands2
Just Cause 2 (has it's own bench mark tool in game)
Crysis2
prototype 2
And some other till my HDD fills up.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
I hope you at least get a system back with less problems then when you sent it to them. I mean i would say i hope it gets backs 100% but that would be a first lol.

Lets us know if its fixed, any new problems if any, any cosmetic damage that was not there when you sent it.

On a side not my phone stopped working today. Not 5 min after calling Verizion i had a replacement in the mail and will be here tomorrow. That is how you handle this sort of stuff!

The guy at my Harvey Norman store said he had a laptop come back damaged yet the box wasn't damaged and when he called them they said the damage didn't happen at their end yet, the box was undamaged, he sent it back and it came back to him with a new Screen. which they say they didn't put in it.

bignazpwns
03-19-2013, 12:59 PM
The guy at my Harvey Norman store said he had a laptop come back damaged yet the box wasn't damaged and when he called them they said the damage didn't happen at their end yet, the box was undamaged, he sent it back and it came back to him with a new Screen. which they say they didn't put in it.

Well i think its pretty clear from the forums that Asus really don't know whats going on with system repairs and the way it looks most of the techs are about as computer savvy as a brick. To this date i have never heard of a Asus RMA on a laptop going smooth taking less then 2 weeks and getting back 100% fixed. Never.

Shawnnepc
03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
I will do that as soon as it get home and start it up, well maybe after I update the video drivers and install a few games
to test out if they fixed it.

will test it with the following games, maybe not all straight away but over the coming weeks.
AC3
Gw2
SWTOR
farcry3
ME3
Hitman: Absolution
Skyrim
Sleeping Dogs (has it's own bench mark tool in game)
Borderlands2
Just Cause 2 (has it's own bench mark tool in game)
Crysis2
prototype 2
And some other till my HDD fills up.

You have excellent tastes in game :P

I hope everything works out with your RMA :)

Well i think its pretty clear from the forums that Asus really don't know whats going on with system repairs and the way it looks most of the techs are about as computer savvy as a brick. To this date i have never heard of a Asus RMA on a laptop going smooth taking less then 2 weeks and getting back 100% fixed. Never.

The majority of RMA's are perfectly fine.

I've only had a few times where the RMA's exceeded 2 weeks and it was mostly due to part shortages. You have to remember that ASUS has different methods and repair centers per country.

Clintlgm
03-19-2013, 02:16 PM
I think I would be running bench marks and stress test before loading up any games or other software. Like Furmark, and 3DMark 11, any other Stress and burn in, Benchmark software you can get your hands on. If all is well then load games and other software and enjoy

bignazpwns
03-19-2013, 02:51 PM

The majority of RMA's are perfectly fine.

I've only had a few times where the RMA's exceeded 2 weeks and it was mostly due to part shortages. You have to remember that ASUS has different methods and repair centers per country.

Thats funny because every RMA i read about Asus would not call back they took a month on average and would return with scratches or with new issues. Heck even my RMA took 2 months because they said they were out of parts and when i got it some rubber plugs for the LCD were missing, Back light cable for the kb was not plugged in "i had to plug it in my self".

But the big one was a guy i know over on ocforums sent his in and when he got it back he said it was really slow at loading up stuff. Turns out they replaced his 256gig 830 with a 1tb 5,300 rpm drive. Talk about a mad guy and even then it took him over 2 weeks just to get them email him back about it and threat of a law suit for them to replace the SSD. Yeah they did fix the unit to its original specs but how can someone replace the SSD with a normal mechanical drive and think that's the problem and even then not return the property as that SSD was not covered by the Asus warranty. Heck even i was email Asus every day about this issue for this guy till it was resolved. Took way longer then it should of and they did replace the drive and allow him to keep the 5,300rpm drive and i know some times mistakes happen "Seems like asus its more often then not." but its just how they handled this with the whole not only avoiding it for a while but saying the drive was not in the system when it got there but luckily for this guy he had some software to track his system down and it automatically emails logs of where it was as soon as it connects to the internet and it also list the system config so he had proof that the ssd was in it when it was at the tech center when it got there.

Yeah every company has some bad apples but my beef as well as the guy who this happen to was with the managers who avoided this. Given Asus does have a A rating on the BBB that's still low for a company like them. Dell is A+ no reason why Asus should not be A+. But i will say again this did correct this problem for him and let him keep the drive he was going to send it back and they said keep it and offered to replace the 830 as well as install it and he said he would install it and they sent it to him with recovery DVD's. It ended well but it was a huge huge headache and it was a long process.

Shawnnepc
03-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Thats funny because every RMA i read about Asus would not call back they took a month on average and would return with scratches or with new issues. Heck even my RMA took 2 months because they said they were out of parts and when i got it some rubber plugs for the LCD were missing, Back light cable for the kb was not plugged in "i had to plug it in my self".

But the big one was a guy i know over on ocforums sent his in and when he got it back he said it was really slow at loading up stuff. Turns out they replaced his 256gig 830 with a 1tb 5,300 rpm drive. Talk about a mad guy and even then it took him over 2 weeks just to get them email him back about it and threat of a law suit for them to replace the SSD. Yeah they did fix the unit to its original specs but how can someone replace the SSD with a normal mechanical drive and think that's the problem and even then not return the property as that SSD was not covered by the Asus warranty. Heck even i was email Asus every day about this issue for this guy till it was resolved. Took way longer then it should of and they did replace the drive and allow him to keep the 5,300rpm drive and i know some times mistakes happen "Seems like asus its more often then not." but its just how they handled this with the whole not only avoiding it for a while but saying the drive was not in the system when it got there but luckily for this guy he had some software to track his system down and it automatically emails logs of where it was as soon as it connects to the internet and it also list the system config so he had proof that the ssd was in it when it was at the tech center when it got there.

Yeah every company has some bad apples but my beef as well as the guy who this happen to was with the managers who avoided this. Given Asus does have a A rating on the BBB that's still low for a company like them. Dell is A+ no reason why Asus should not be A+. But i will say again this did correct this problem for him and let him keep the drive he was going to send it back and they said keep it and offered to replace the 830 as well as install it and he said he would install it and they sent it to him with recovery DVD's. It ended well but it was a huge huge headache and it was a long process.

Please note as per ASUS's warranty terms:

"The Notebook product line is covered under a parts and labor repair or buffer exchange warranty for hardware, manufacturing, and/or power related issues, excluding power surges and/or electrical spikes. This ASUS warranty does not include failure caused by improper installation, operation, cleaning or maintenance, accident, damage, misuse, abuse, non- ASUS modifications to the product, any software programs, normal wear and tear or any other event, act, default or omission outside ASUS’ control."

http://www.service.asus.com/#!Notebook Warranty/c23xh

Based on what you've said, it would appear that end user sent the laptop in with a non-factory installed SSD. ASUS isn't responsible for user added parts once its sent in for repair. Generally it isn't a issue because the techs will make a note of the non-standard part and ensure that it's shipped back to the customer. In this case it sounds like the unit was replaced entirely and was set back to it's default configuration.

If a customer ever needs to RMA something it's always best practice to send the unit back in as vanilla condition as possible, that removes any potential headaches for support.

Also comparing ASUS to Dell isn't really fair.

Dell is a sales company

ASUS is more or less a hardware company.

ASUS products (the ROG brand in specific) are often targeted to the prosumer or enthusiast segments that very rarely need the same level of support that Dell caters to.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-19-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanx Shawn
I do have a genuine copy of 3DMark Vantage, so I will test with that as well.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Ok i have my laptop back they replaced the following

Main_BD_0M/As(qc)(19

G75vw vga_BD./AS
(192Bit)

G75 3D LVDS Cable LG
TFT 17.3' FHD LED(A+)

and so far the screen hasn't flickered, there was a memo note saying NOT to install VGA drivers from Nvidia website as it sometimes might cause the Laptop to perform Abnormally ( what ever that means)

Will do some testing shortly. and post back if any problems occur.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-21-2013, 10:46 PM
just trying to get this to the front page again.

Laptop is working, will install 3DMark Vantage shortly other than that i don't need to do stress tests as I don't OC my laptop.
running some heavy graphic games should be stressful enough.

DeltaActual
03-22-2013, 12:26 AM
and what video drivers are you using? last year ones?

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-22-2013, 01:11 AM
No in order to get the 3D working I had to install the 314.07 drivers which are the most recent released ones.

ZeroBarrier
03-22-2013, 01:14 AM
just trying to get this to the front page again.

Laptop is working, will install 3DMark Vantage shortly other than that i don't need to do stress tests as I don't OC my laptop.
running some heavy graphic games should be stressful enough.

Should stress test anyways to make sure temps are within optimal range. :-)

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-22-2013, 01:28 AM
Might do that this afternoon while watch some TV.

How long dose the burn in test run for in future mark.?

Clintlgm
03-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Actually you should run furmark to stress test, this will let you know for sure if you have a good pasting job on your GPU, also some type of burn in test to insure that you have a good pasting on your CPU and RAM is fully functional. You need to know that your good to go before you waste a lot of time installing software and games. You could save yourself a lot of aggravation and have a pretty good idea of what your NB is capable of.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-22-2013, 02:16 AM
OK 3DMark score was P8814, not sure if that's a good score or not but this isn't OC 'd so to me it looks good.
The above was run in default custom mode.

Under performance mode i got P11969.
under extreme I got P5843

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Well at least we know that Asus can fix their own forums and they seems to have done a top notch job on my Laptop.

ggBanks
03-24-2013, 09:44 AM
You are a lucky one. When mine returned from its first RMA they did so "good " job at repasting that my GPU was doing 70C at idle desktop...
No need to say that I had to repaste it myself afterwards and it dropped to 35 - 39 on idle. Not to mention that my heatsink was dropped and was bent as fu*k. And not to mention that now it is on its way to the second RMA. Good job ASUS! When my laptop gets back I will try to sell it ASAP and buy a desktop that will be 3 times more powerful for the same price! I suggest everyone that wants to game to do the same.

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-24-2013, 09:52 AM
I have mine for mobile gaming, My family has a holiday house on the Gippsland Lakes (in Victoria, Australia) so when we are down there I don't want to be lugging my 35 KG Desktop case with me plus K/board mouse Etc... when all I need with my laptop is a Mouse>

I'm sure other have theirs for the same reason, so they can game when they arn't at home or so it don't need a large amount of desk space.

Anyway good luck with you RMA.

ggBanks
03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Why would you game on a holiday man seriously :D Even an ultrabook with HD4000 graphics can do a mediocre job at gaming, besides it will be for a week max two.

Sagi
03-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Why would you game on a holiday man seriously :D Even an ultrabook with HD4000 graphics can do a mediocre job at gaming, besides it will be for a week max two.

That is not entirely true :) I prefer laptops because they allow me to take it with me , wherever I choose to go.
Also, if I happened to get tired of playing in the office, it doesn't take more then a few sec and I can be playing somewhere else.

I guess it's also a matter of taste - Desktops gives you a lot more power and the opportunity to upgrade it over and over.
But laptops just give you a lot more freedom when it comes to being on the move :)

Bundy_Drop_Bear
03-24-2013, 11:07 AM
My holidays last a lot longer than a week, my next one will last 3 months as I'm doing a trip around Australia.
Alot of Caravan Parks have free WiFi here in Australia, if you know which one's to stay at, they usually charge $10 a day for WiFi access.

Plus I want to play High end games that the ****ty HD**** cards just can't handle, as the give you 20-30 FPS max when My G75 gives me 60-90 on all the games I have Installed on it and all on max settings.
Plus UltraBooks suck and i will never spend a cent on something with ****ty HD**** whatever GPU in them.

ASUS are the best on the market and are $1000 cheaper than the over priced alienware Crap that dell sells, as a gaming laptop and ASUS have better tech in their Gaming Laptops.

Dreamonic
03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Everything is overpriced. We just come to a realization that the cost of our enjoyment is worth much more than the listed prices. It doesn't matter what is cheaper or better. If we want something because it brings us joy or contentment, then we pursue it regardless. We think freely and don't let people cloud our judgement. Only we can choose and seek what we desire, because life is hard enough for us to be so particular. If we forget what we were after, then we've lost what kept us inspired. How it will all affect you, is up to you to decide.