PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Keyboard Issues? ATK 1.0.00010 / BIOS 202 Available (SOLVED)

Chastity@ASUS
07-23-2011, 01:31 AM
If you are having typing issues with the new G74SX keyboard, I would recommend updating to ATK 1.0.00010. The issues with using the KB on the G74SX-3DE model I am testing here were fixed with this update.

You will need to uninstall the stock 1.0.0008 version, reboot, then install the 1.0.00010 package, and then reboot again.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100010.zip

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/G74SX/G74SxAS202.zip

BIOS allows for NumPad keys to function normally in games, and addresses lag and other abnormalities.

EDIT: I wanted to add that Shift + Numpad key toggles the key like NumLock. If you use a macro that ties Shift with a Numpad key, I suggest you use another binding.

kingmagister
08-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi, I have a problem with my Asus G74sx
My ROG button can not activate 3D mode but can activate power 4 gear mode
I can't setting keyboard Shortcuts to Enable stereoscopic 3D
Help me please ...Thank you..:p

epalzeolithe
08-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the tip, it has fixed the cursor keys pb,

now still the issue with numpad, ned a numlock

even using win registry, i cant activate numlock, we need a fix !

CYberjudas
08-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Check this thread. There is supposed to be a bios in the works.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3220-Asus-G74SX-A1-Keypad-Problem&highlight=G74SX

tfitz
08-23-2011, 12:03 AM
My keyboard makes a high pitch clicking noise sometimes when typing. Would this fix that?

Chastity@ASUS
08-23-2011, 03:45 AM
Uhm, I don't think so. Software updates do not fix hardware issues. Maybe the upcoming BIOS update will.

Chastity@ASUS
08-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Note: G74SX 202 BIOS is available

Fixes: Keyboard lag and reassigns numpad keys back to "NumPad" :)

MD5: 1D7A47510E1ABA9A0BC3A94BBCAE1A63

fearfromtron
08-26-2011, 05:40 AM
When I try to flash it, a big message pops up saying "File can not be read fully". Any solutions to this? I'm attempting to flash the .202 file that you provided. Is it an invalid format or something?

FineWolf
08-26-2011, 05:42 AM
Unfortunately, AsusNBKeys no longer works properly with ATK 1.0.00010 (even after modifying HControl.exe). Either NBKeys takes over completely or you get the stock mappings.

ASUS really needs to release a small utility which would allow us to rebind those ATK keys if we want to.

Neonfisk
08-26-2011, 01:01 PM
When I try to flash it, a big message pops up saying "File can not be read fully". Any solutions to this? I'm attempting to flash the .202 file that you provided. Is it an invalid format or something?

Worked just fine for me.. Try re-downloading.

Joss
08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Hey guys, I updated my bios to version 202, I use my laptop as a desktop, I've connected an external keyboard and num pad is permanently enabled on the external keyboard, with the previous bios did not do this, hopefully they can fix this later.
The problem of CPU Throttling to 798mhz not been repaired with this BIOS revision.

Where I can download the previous bios that came factory on the download page is not listed, thanks

Joss
08-26-2011, 01:24 PM

I would recommend that you use the Start Easy Flash Tool, is in the bios, and format your flash drive in FAT 32 before copying the bios.

I did it that way.

jornvdcb
08-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Does this come with the asus live update?

Joss
08-26-2011, 07:45 PM
From windows you can do with WinFlash utility, but I recommend you do it from Easy Flash (in the bios), because if the OS becomes unstable and the BIOS update is not completed, you have to send your laptop to asus for the revive.

ROBSER08
08-27-2011, 02:08 AM
MAY BE SOMEBODY CAN HELP ME. I JUST GOT THE NEW ASUS G74SX 3DE AND THE KEYBOARD HAS A VERY DIM LIGHT EVEN AT THE MAX STEP.
I JUST UPDATE THE ATK TO THE NEW VERSION BUT NOT THE BIOS.
HAW CAN THIS ISSUE BE FIXED.
THANKS A LOT

ROBSER08
08-27-2011, 02:37 AM
I JUST GOT THE NEW ASUS G74SX 3DE AND THE KEYBOARD LIGHT IS VERY DIM COMPARED TO THE ASUS G73.
I UPDATED RHE ATK TO THE LATEST VERSION BUT STILL DIM.
HOW CAN THIS ISSUE BE FIXED AND BE THE KEYS BRIGHTER.
THANKS A LOT

Roland3
08-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Thanks Chastity. Going to flash the new BIOS.

ROBSER08
08-27-2011, 04:42 AM
HELLO
I JUST RECEIVED THE NEW ASUS G74SX 3DE AND THE KEYBOARD LIGHT AT THE MAX POINT IS DEMM COMPARE WITH THE OLD G73.
I ALREADY UPDATED THE ATK BUT IS THE SAME.
THERE IS A FIX TO MAKE IT BRIGHTER OR I BETTER RETURN IT.
THANKS A LOT

jornvdcb
08-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Does this update works on all asus's G74SX ? Because i have the non 3d version but the G74SX-TZ117V

Roland3
08-28-2011, 01:07 AM
I've updated to the new BIOS 202. However my numberlock key is still acting as Windows 7 Caculator hotkey.

(I am still using ATK 1.0.0008.)

Boosted_R
08-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Update works great, with ATK and BIOS 202, no more lagging....... Model G74SX-XC1................. Strange thing though, beside the caps lock light, there is another light with no designation and is ON all the time now :S

medoo
08-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I have a problem after update to BIOS 202 to reboot, but Windows will not start already. Power LED is lit and only now is a black display.
Know someone help?

Anz
08-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Same issue wont start anymore.. doesnt do anything from start button. What to do?

knowpub
08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
If you are having typing issues with the new G74SX keyboard, I would recommend updating to ATK 1.0.00010. The issues with using the KB on the G74SX-3DE model I am testing here were fixed with this update.

You will need to uninstall the stock 1.0.0008 version, reboot, then install the 1.0.00010 package, and then reboot again.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100010.zip

BIOS allows for NumPad keys to function normally in games, and addresses lag and other abnormalities.

ASUS G74SX Keyboard Problems NOT FIXED with New UPDATES

Chastity, I just got my SECOND G74SX from Amazon, the first one was returned. I know have a SECOND ONE with the SAME F**KING keyboard PROBLEM.

I followed your excellent instructions that were posted, I updated to bios 202, I removed .8 of the ATK and rebooted, installed .10 and then rebooted. Guess what. I still have the random stuttering keyboard on a $1650 LAPTOP ! This has me incensed. I want this laptop to work and to work correctly.

its completely random...it comes and goes. When its happening key storkes are missed no matter how hard you type, SHIFT TAB happens just randomly as you type and your cursor hops all over. This happens in notepad, email, microsoft word, ANYWHERE you have to type anything.

I need a solution for this, or I'll have to dump this worthless computer and get something else from someone else.

Any ideas ? I keep on hearing that the asus tech phone supports sucks beyond compare, and am afraid I won't get any help from them.

Thanks so much, help please. You seem to be the expert.
Steve

p.s. I just called ASUS tech support, they have NEVER EVER Heard of the keyboard problem, NOTHING in their database, zero help. They wanted me to send the computer back to them and wait 10 to 14 business days. Hell, I'll send it back to amazon and get a refund.

Chastity@ASUS
08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
That's Bizcom, not Asus themselves, and they're clueless at times. :)

I would uninstall the Keyboard Filter 1.0003 and reboot. See if things go back to normal using the MS driver. If so, then you can reinstall the KB Filter driver. Sometimes, the resources get remapped, and the driver needs to be reinstalled and resources redetected. Welcome to Windows. :) If you continue to have issues, then we'll setup an RMA with Asus Customer Care team.

Ghostlp
09-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Bios update doesn't work, it's a 202 file and this computer can't open it..... Why does this god damn expensive notebook have ****y keyboard? This is my first Asus... I'm not impressed at all..

Ghostlp
09-03-2011, 07:53 AM
THIRD ATTEMPT TO SEND THIS FREAKING COMMENT....
WHY is the file 202, G74SX can't open it. WHY does asus make a laptop without proper working keyboard and numpad+!?!

FineWolf
09-03-2011, 05:31 PM
THIRD ATTEMPT TO SEND THIS FREAKING COMMENT....
WHY is the file 202, G74SX can't open it. WHY does asus make a laptop without proper working keyboard and numpad+!?!

Download WinFlash from the ASUS support site (Direct Link (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/WinFlash/WinFlash_Win7_32_Win7_64_Z2311.zip)) and open the .202 file using that software.

What ticks me off more however is that while this fixes the problem in Windows, the numpad still isn't working in Linux (which I use daily for work). Can we just have a switch in the BIOS which would get rid of that stupid calculator key and would make the numpad behave like a traditional one?

Excsy
09-03-2011, 08:38 PM
I downloaded bios update 202, unzipped it and updated my bios via restart, entering setup and using bios flash utility. After bios update was finished the computer shut itself down.

And I can't turn it on again :( No reaction to anything I do. No LEDs turn on, not even the charging led for the battery.

Is there anything I can do except returning it?

m1lkb0ne
09-03-2011, 09:23 PM
ASUS G74SX Keyboard Problems NOT FIXED with New UPDATES

its completely random...it comes and goes. When its happening key storkes are missed no matter how hard you type, SHIFT TAB happens just randomly as you type and your cursor hops all over. This happens in notepad, email, microsoft word, ANYWHERE you have to type anything.

The "cursor hops all over" symptom suggests that the touchpad is sensing your hands while you are typing. This might help. (It worked for me.):

Right-click on the "Finger Sensing Pad" icon in the notification area and choose "Settings". This will open the "Mouse Properties" dialog box. Click on the "Finger Sensing Pad" tab. Then click the "Configure" button. This will open the "Finger Sensing Pad Configurator" dialog box. In the "Configuration Items" pane, click on the "+" next to "Enable/Disable Pad". Then click on the words "Typing Detection". In the right pane, make sure "Disable pad while typing" is checked. Then click on the "+" next to "Typing Detection" and click on the words "Reactivation Time". Use the slider in the right pane to increase this time from 0.5 sec to 1.0 sec or more. (Experiment with this value to see what suits your typing style best.) Then click on "OK" at the bottom of the "Finger Sensing Pad Configurator" dialog box, to close the box and save your new settings. And finally click on "OK" at the bottom of the "Mouse Properties" dialog box to dismiss that box.

It also helps to arch your wrists while typing so as to avoid triggering events on the touchpad.

Hope you find this useful.

m1lkb0ne
09-03-2011, 09:42 PM
What ticks me off more however is that while this fixes the problem in Windows, the numpad still isn't working in Linux (which I use daily for work). Can we just have a switch in the BIOS which would get rid of that stupid calculator key and would make the numpad behave like a traditional one?

Agreed. It was an odd choice by Asus, especially since there's an unmarked LED next to the CapsLock LED to indicate NumLock is on. This is a UEFI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface) BIOS, but the older standard typically had an option for booting up with NumLock on by default, at least so long as the computer was under the control of the BIOS itself, before the OS started up.

Maybe in the next BIOS revision there could be a parameter that sets the meaning of the Calc key to NumLock with Fn+Calc bringing up the calculator program within the OS or to "OS calculator" with Fn+Calc functioning as a NumLock key, depending on the parameter setting. It would still be necessary to create a keyboard map within Linux if you wanted the Calc key to start a Calculator program, but this is would be pretty straightforward. So long as you could get the normal NumLock function in Linux that is implemented by the ATK driver in Windows, the main problem would be solved.

tripinva
09-04-2011, 01:55 AM

Hello, fellow Linux user.

The fix did what I needed, at least. While it's still not switchable, the keys are at least mapped differently in Linux for me. I was able to remap them to various media functions (volume control, play/pause, stop, etc.). It's completely unswitchable though. I tried every trick I could think of to get it to switch and got nowhere with it. I suspect a further update is needed.

- Trip

Chastity@ASUS
09-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I downloaded bios update 202, unzipped it and updated my bios via restart, entering setup and using bios flash utility. After bios update was finished the computer shut itself down.

And I can't turn it on again :( No reaction to anything I do. No LEDs turn on, not even the charging led for the battery.

Is there anything I can do except returning it?

If you used the BIOS utility EZ Flash and loaded the 202 file from your C: or D: drive, which is NTFS, then you probably bricked your machine and need to RMA it. I think it's been mentioned many many times to use a USB drive formatted for FAT32 when using the BIOS utility.

Excsy
09-05-2011, 07:56 AM
If you used the BIOS utility EZ Flash and loaded the 202 file from your C: or D: drive, which is NTFS, then you probably bricked your machine and need to RMA it. I think it's been mentioned many many times to use a USB drive formatted for FAT32 when using the BIOS utility.
Thanks for your answer. What does RMA mean?

FineWolf
09-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your answer. What does RMA mean?

Return Merchandise Authorization... In other words, send it to warranty.

chenty
09-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Hi Chastity, I updated my G74SX-XC1 to BIOS 202, uninstalled ATK 1.0.0008, reboot, installed ATK 1.0.0010, reboot. However, when I launch games, the number keys on the number pad are still registered as regular number keys. For example, if I click "1" or "." key on the numberpad, the games still recognize them as regular "1" or "." rather than "Numpad 1" or "Numpad .". Nonetheless, other keys on the numberpad such as "/", "*", "-", "+" are now recognized as "Numpad /", "Numpad *", "Numpad -" etc. Is it supposed to be like this?? I thought you said the number pad keys are now registered correctly, didn't you? Please clarify. Thanks.

JRd1st
09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi Chastity, I updated my G74SX-XC1 to BIOS 202, uninstalled ATK 1.0.0008, reboot, installed ATK 1.0.0010, reboot. However, when I launch games, the number keys on the number pad are still registered as regular number keys. For example, if I click "1" or "." key on the numberpad, the games still recognize them as regular "1" or "." rather than "Numpad 1" or "Numpad .". Nonetheless, other keys on the numberpad such as "/", "*", "-", "+" are now recognized as "Numpad /", "Numpad *", "Numpad -" etc. Is it supposed to be like this?? I thought you said the number pad keys are now registered correctly, didn't you? Please clarify. Thanks.

I'm not Chastity, but I know this answer. Lol. What used to happen was the number pad numbers registered as top-row number keys. Now they register as num pad keys, allowing them to be remapped in games that allow it.

Hopefully, the next update will remap the numlock key to make it like every other numlock key in the Galaxy. Lol I don't know where their brains were when they designed these numpad/numlock functions. *shrug*

Chastity@ASUS
09-14-2011, 11:38 PM
The suggestion rolling around thus far is to map FN+Calc = NumLock toggle... but the 203 BIOS is a work-in-progress :)

chenty
09-15-2011, 03:37 AM
Hi JRd1st, the problem I am having is my num pad keys are still registered as top-row number keys after installing BIOS 202 and ATK 1.0.0010. I play WOW. When I use an external keyboard and press number pad key on the external keyboards, it shows as a numpad key. However, when I press the num pad keys on the laptop, it still shows as top-row number keys.

Hi Chastity, i have reboot many times and I am using US keyboard, but the problem still remains.

JRd1st
09-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Hmmm....

Before you installed ATK 1.0.0010 you uninstalled the previous version, right?

All I can suggest is to uninstall the ATK package, disconnect your external keyboard, restart your laptop (to be safe :) ) , then reinstall the ATK 1.0.0010 package with your external keyboard disconnected (to be safe).

If that doesn't work then I'm stuck.

BTW, there's a Keyboard filter driver that's supposed to be installed, too. It's under "Utilities" on the ASUS downloads page for the G74. (I have NO IDEA what a KB filter driver does, this is just a stab in the dark. lol )

chenty
09-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi JRd1st, what you described was exactly what I did. I guess I just have to wait for BIOS 203 and try my luck again. :(

Pirulainen
09-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey been searching the net for answers on this very problem and the solution posted here seems promising. Unfortunately i dont know how to uninstall ATK 1.0.0008 to be able to install the newer one. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks in advance

JRd1st
09-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Don't you see it in Control Panel >> Programs? ...where you uninstall programs and such?

Pirulainen
09-23-2011, 10:09 AM
aww i must have been blind :D thank you :)

JRd1st
09-23-2011, 11:57 AM
No problem. Glad to help. :)

Sherri
09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I haven't had any issues with my G74 yet so I think I'll forego any flashing for now. I've always been a little hesitant to try it and in fact my 8 year old desktop has never had its bios updated. Still works okay though I noticed some Win updates won't install anymore and that could be why. Just wondering if a flash does go bad, will a System Restore roll back the bios?

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 11:48 PM
No, a bad flash usually makes a pc into a brick. But if you DO decide you need that flash, come here and get instructions first! OK? ;)

What version of Windows are you running on that 8 yr old Pc?

Sherri
09-26-2011, 04:45 AM
Yikes! That's what I was afraid of. I'll be sure to check here if I ever find it necessary. Thanks JR.

My old desktop has been running on XP since day 1. (SP3) The updates it won't install are all related to "Framework."

omega939
09-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Chastity

How do you enable/disable the lights of the keyboard thru bios? Tnx

JRd1st
09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Yikes! That's what I was afraid of. I'll be sure to check here if I ever find it necessary. Thanks JR.

My old desktop has been running on XP since day 1. (SP3) The updates it won't install are all related to "Framework."
It's been so long since I used XP that I wouldn't hazard a guess. I'd leave well enough alone, I suppose. lol But if I was you I'd download CCleaner Slim Build (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds) , install it and do a cleanup occasionally. If you never did a system cleanup, you may find some big improvements! Open CCleaner and do an Analyse first to be sure it doesn't wanna delete any documents you need the first time, just to be extra careful. ;)

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Chastity

How do you enable/disable the lights of the keyboard thru bios? Tnx

I do not believe the BIOS has a Keyboard Lights control.

Sherri
09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
It's been so long since I used XP that I wouldn't hazard a guess. I'd leave well enough alone, I suppose. lol But if I was you I'd download CCleaner Slim Build (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds) , install it and do a cleanup occasionally. If you never did a system cleanup, you may find some big improvements! Open CCleaner and do an Analyse first to be sure it doesn't wanna delete any documents you need the first time, just to be extra careful. ;)

Yes, I already use CCleaner as well as System Mechanic and they seem to keep everything running smoothly. Cheers :)

omega939
09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
I do not believe the BIOS has a Keyboard Lights control

Thanks for the reply chastity btw.... When updating the latest bios thru usb (fat 32 format). Is there any particular usb slot that I need to place the usb? like right or left side? just like the g73 series (left side of usb)?

Chastity@ASUS
09-27-2011, 07:06 PM
any of them work, I atypically use the left side ones, don't know why. -shrugs-

sageofstar
09-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi, I bought G74sx last week and I've just use winflash to update my bios to 202 but seems on my keyboard the num key are still not num pad key (in a game cheat you suppose to press number 1-9 and number pad +/- to activate corresponding cheats but after I update bios num 0-9 still not working and num +/- works fine just as before ).

did I do anything wrong in flashing my bios?

I download winflash and run it as a admin and select the bios and then flash and then exit, however after I exit there is a windows error pop out says winflash is not correct that kind of thing.

How do I be sure that the bios is flashed right and num pad is fixed?

thanks a lot.

sageofstar
09-29-2011, 09:36 AM

same problem here, I guess it can be due to a incomplete bios flash maybe?

Because I did not use a external FAT32 USB and used winflash and load file from my c: maybe that's why our key board is not fixed?

BTW, now I load BIOS 202 the winflash I download from asus just won't allow me to flash it again, it says the loaded BIOS is earlier that current bios.

So I guess use Earth flash to flash back to 201 and flash again could be a solution?

can someone give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

JRd1st
09-29-2011, 10:14 AM
You don't need to reflash or flash back to 201. But did you install ATK1.0.0010?

Also, this isn't a complete fix, but it is a start. Asus still needs to fix that stupid calculator key so it can act like a numlock key.

BTW, here's a guide to flashing Asus laptop BIOS's - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html.

HINT- consider using the Easy Flash method next time; it's way safer than Winflash. ;)

sageofstar
09-29-2011, 10:25 AM
You don't need to reflash or flash back to 201. But did you install ATK1.0.0010?

No, I did not install ATK cause I heard NUM PAD key issue is fixed by updating just the BIOS.

I will give ATK a try but how do I uninstall the old ATK?

Thanks.

JRd1st
09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Isn't in control panel >> programs and features? You know, where you uninstall programs and such? :)

JRd1st
09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Repost. Sorry... :(

sageofstar
09-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Isn't in control panel >> programs and features? You know, where you uninstall programs and such? :)

uninstalled old ATK and installed new ATK given the first page of this thread, but still don't fix the num pad problem.

guess I must have done something wrong in flashing the bios seems everyone else fixed this problem by flashing BIOS to 202.....you are right,maybe I need to use Easyflash to do it again.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when using EASYFLASH? like using a FAT32 128MB FLASH Drive that kind of thing?

the link is a great guide I will be reading it carefully.

Thank a lot for the guide.

it's just the game cheat for mass effect 2 the reason I need to use NUM PAD.

JRd1st
09-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Go into the BIOS and it should say somewhere what version it is.

All you need is a simple usb flash drive freshly formatted to FAT16 or FAT32 format. Some flash drives have autorun utilities on a separate partition; DON'T use one of them. And don't flash any more than you need to. I've been doing this for years and I still breathe a sigh of relief after a successful flash. ;)

BTW, if you look in your manual (page A-15 I think) it tells you to go back into the BIOS and press reset defaults or something like that, after performing a flash. Maybe you should do that, too while you're in there.

omega939
09-30-2011, 11:15 AM
One noobie question when updating bios thru ezflash... Do you need to put the battery and plug your power adapter?

JRd1st
09-30-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't know exactly what you're asking, but when you flash a BIOS you don't want to lose power during the flash. :)

Lorca
10-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi, I'm new and here's my first post. So updating to bios 202 will disable the calculator key and get the numlock back? Also, is there a link to see the exact features details of the 202 update? The highlights of this new bio said by @chastity is like a summary; vague. The reason why I'm particular about this is because so far I haven't noticed any problems with my Asus laptop(except for the obvious numlock absence) Therefore, I want to see the full list of fixes that this 202 bio brings to see if its worth it to change. Thanks:)

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
NO. 202 will remap the number pad number keys so that they are separate from the top row number keys. Before 202, they were mapped the same. The NUMLOCK thing will hopefully come with another BIOS update.

I believe it also helps a keyboard lag issue. But if you have no problems just let well enough alone, I guess. ;)

Good luck with your awesome laptop! :D

Lorca
10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
NO. 202 will remap the number pad number keys so that they are separate from the top row number keys. Before 202, they were mapped the same. The NUMLOCK thing will hopefully come with another BIOS update.

I believe it also helps a keyboard lag issue. But if you have no problems just let well enough alone, I guess. ;)

ah, thanks buddy for the info:)

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 06:58 PM
ah, thanks buddy for the info:)
No problem.

G74sxpoo
10-03-2011, 03:30 AM
This BIOS will not fix the numpad issue, and will most likely make things worse (the official BIOS UPDATE method can render your laptop useless and require it be sent to ASUS for RMA repair).

This thread should be deleted as to many people are expecting the numpad issue to be fixed and this BIOS does not address that in all models.

MPerni
10-03-2011, 02:18 PM

So if you dont do like, i will say some random numer, 150 characters per minute its not usefull or not worth it to do the BIOS update?? For what i read its like playing russian roulette hehe (im not clever doing this things!)

JRd1st
10-03-2011, 02:51 PM
If you don't notice a problem, then you can wait until the next update if your so inclined.

The odds of having no problem with a BIOS update are a lot better than Russian Roulette. lol But you have to do it right the first time or you're screwed. I've done at least a hundred BIOS flashes in the past 10 years or so, and I only had 2 go bad. One was because the PC manufacturer put the wrong BIOS on their site, and the other was because I used a flash-from-Windows type tool . . . (NEVER AGAIN!) lol

Enjoy your notebook and don't read too much . . . it makes you worry about problems you don't have. ;)

Aion
10-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi

I have a G74 SX 3D and i have the same problem, my numpad lock is a calculator, etc.
The major problem is that i haven't found any instructions on how to uninstall the stock version.
Actually i don't even know where the stock version is :-( and also i don't know how to update the bios via winflash or any other.

Sorry for this can you help me out?

JRd1st
10-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Look in control panel, programs and features then uninstall ATK 1.0.0008.

graywolf323
10-12-2011, 04:40 PM
I've upgraded both the ATK and BIOS on my new Asus G74SX-XA1 which I bought from Amazon after returning the neutered Best Buy model

but unlike the previous G74 this one is still having some quirks after upgrading the ATK and BIOS

my left shift and ctrl keys don't always register they've been pressed and on a slightly unrelated note sometimes my trackpad just goes completely wonky with the mouse jumping around the screen and not moving where I'm sliding (but a bluetooth mouse works just fine)

loving this laptop otherwise but these small issues are beginning to irritate

Chastity@ASUS
10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I just posted a bunch of updates, including ATK and Sentelic drivers, on the Driver page

graywolf323
10-15-2011, 02:02 PM
I just posted a bunch of updates, including ATK and Sentelic drivers, on the Driver page

that seems to have fixed the keyboard problem I was having but the trackpad keeps acting up :(

chenty
10-16-2011, 03:16 AM
Updated to BIOS 203 and ATK 1.0.0.0013, and hoped the numpad mapping would be fixed. Unfortunately, the number keys on number pad are still shown as regular number (e.g. "1" instead of "Numpad 1") in World of Warcraft. If I connect an external keyboards and use the number keys on the number pad, then the key is shown as "Numpad 1". :(

Anything else I can do??

chenty
10-16-2011, 03:18 AM
Updated to BIOS 203 and ATK 1.0.0.0013, and hoped the numpad mapping would be fixed. Unfortunately, the number keys on number pad are still shown as regular number (e.g. "1" instead of "Numpad 1") in World of Warcraft. If I connect an external keyboards and use the number keys on the number pad, then the key is shown as "Numpad 1". :(

Anything else I can do??

By the way, other keys on number pad such as "/", "*", "-", "+" are correctly recognized as "Numpad /", "Numpad *" etc. Only 10 numbers and "." key are not recognized correctly.

chenty
10-16-2011, 03:22 AM
By the way, other keys on number pad such as "/", "*", "-", "+" are correctly recognized as "Numpad /", "Numpad *" etc. Only 10 numbers and "." key are not recognized correctly.

Also I saw Chastity posted on the first page in this post that now "Shift + Calculator key" works as "Number lock" key, but it isn't the case for me. Shift + calculator key is still bring up the calculator.

BrodyBoy
10-16-2011, 05:27 AM
that seems to have fixed the keyboard problem I was having but the trackpad keeps acting up :(
The trackpad issue won't be resolved with software, unfortunately. During assembly, some adhesive backing and tape are placed on the underside of the keypad. In some units, this seems to cause issues with static electricity not dissipating properly, which in turn causes that erratic, glitchy behavior you're seeing. More than a few G73s had exactly the same problem.

Since it won't go away on its own and it can't be corrected with drivers, you're left with three options:
1. Exchange that G74 & hope to get one that isn't plagued by this problem
2. Send it in for warranty service & hope that Asus will actually address the problem (many G73 owners tried this never got it fixed)
3. Open it up yourself and clean all that stuff off the back of the touchpad

Notice that options 1 & 2 require "hope," which is not really a good strategy for computer repairs, IMO. ;) If you are comfortable disassembling your laptop (just to the point of removing the top cover), you should be able to fix this yourself in an hour or so.

JRd1st
10-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Anybody besides me think the thread title should be changed to "... SOME Issues solved"?

With all the bricks people make by flashing incorrectly, people shouldn't be led to believe this BIOS fixes their issue when it doesn't.

Just sayin' .......

BrodyBoy
10-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Anybody besides me think the thread title should be changed to "... SOME Issues solved"?

With all the bricks people make by flashing incorrectly, people shouldn't be led to believe this BIOS fixes their issue when it doesn't.

Just sayin' .......
+1 Yup.

chenty
10-17-2011, 02:22 AM

Just sayin' .......

If you read the whole threads after BIOS 202 was released, you will see that some people do have their numpad keys registered correctly in the game now. I am not saying the BIOS fixed ALL keyboard problems, but people do report the BIOS has fixed this PARTICULAR problem (which isn't the case for me). Do you have the numpad keys registered correctly in your games now??

Chastity@ASUS
10-17-2011, 07:16 PM
BIOS update fixed G74SX here in regards to key mapping

chenty
10-18-2011, 01:32 AM
BIOS update fixed G74SX here in regards to key mapping

Chastity, after you updated to BIOS 203, when you press "Shift + Calculator key", does it function like a "Number lock" key? The LED besides the cap lock LED on the top left corner will be turned on/off accordingly?? Thanks.

Yahooligan
10-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Chastity, after you updated to BIOS 203, when you press "Shift + Calculator key", does it function like a "Number lock" key? The LED besides the cap lock LED on the top left corner will be turned on/off accordingly?? Thanks.

I've got ATK 1.0.0014 installed and just upgraded from BIOS 202 to 203, the BIOS update did not fix the ability to turn numlock on and off regardless of which keyboard I use, laptop or external USB.

The numlock/numpad issues aren't a big deal to me, but it would be nice if when I play RIFT I could hit "numlock" to stay moving. Suppose I could just re-map that function in the game.

sjaak
10-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Updating to bios 203 and updating atk to ATK 1.0.00014 didn't fix my "half broken" delete key =( I wish I noticed these common keyboard problems before buying =(

JRd1st
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
How's your touchpad behaving?

sjaak
10-26-2011, 11:58 PM
I mainly use the mouse, but the touchpad seems to be ok. Moving the mouse pointer feels good, only scrolling with two fingers is way to fast and actually unusable. But I didn't update those drivers yet (version 9.1.3.5 is running now)

The left mouse button of the touchpad also lies a bit lower then the right one, but that's not a real issue

Sometimes (once every few hours) I hear a short squeeking sound beneath the NumKeys. I suspect it is the second harddrive spinning down.

BrodyBoy
10-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Updating to bios 203 and updating atk to ATK 1.0.00014 didn't fix my "half broken" delete key =( I wish I noticed these common keyboard problems before buying =(
"Half-broken" in what sense?

I mainly use the mouse, but the touchpad seems to be ok. Moving the mouse pointer feels good, only scrolling with two fingers is way to fast and actually unusable. But I didn't update those drivers yet (version 9.1.3.5 is running now)
You should try the "touch scroll" that Sentelic uses. It takes a little getting used to, but it actually works pretty well. It's the only way to scroll smoothly via the touchpad alone.

The left mouse button of the touchpad also lies a bit lower then the right one, but that's not a real issueYou should fix that before it works too loose and potentially damages the button assembly. There are two screws that hold the assembly from underneath...sounds like the left one is loose or missing.

JRd1st
10-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Be careful if you decide to take that notebook apart. If you screw something up Asus will charge you to repair it. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/618792-i-just-burnt-out-my-asus-g73-trying-fix-my-track-pad.html

BrodyBoy
10-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Good point. One of the screws is accessible through the HDD bay, without disassembling the laptop. You can see its location in this photo, right in the middle toward the top of drive bay 2. The other screw, unfortunately, is just under the cover off to the left.

sjaak
10-28-2011, 09:28 PM
"Half-Broken" In the sense that it works one out three times, and I need to press quite hard and keep it pressed longer then the other keys to get it to work. Reading trough all these post points out that many people have related problem =( .

I'll try the touch scroll option, thanks for the tip!

Do I need to disassemble my laptop to fix the left mouse button? It's not really noticeable. I thinks it's less then a mm. It could also be that my right button is to high, because that sticks out like a mm above right side

BrodyBoy
10-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Well, I don't know....the button assembly has one place where it belongs, a hard surface it's screwed onto that leaves no wiggle room. If it's properly installed, it has to be even, unless the buttons themselves are broken or messed up. Do the two buttons feel like they have the same amount of "travel?"

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 09:37 PM
You might wanna get that keyboard fixed. If you already installed the latest BIOS and atk, there's nothing else to do. Depends on how badly it bothers you and if it's going to get worse.

Qbit
10-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Hello everybody!

My keyboard works fine, however, EVERY time I resume the laptop from sleep/hibernate the computer freezes and I have to shut it down by holding the power button for a long time. I have updated all the drivers that I could think of, including the driver one, but still having the same problems. Also I didnt update the BIOS since the changelog did not mention any important change rather than the maping of the num keys.

Here are the symptoms in the order they happen:

Resource monitor stops updating and shows empty rows
The task manager stops responding
Explorer starts to show corrupt cursor images
Computer freezes for short periods of time
Mouse + keyboard become unresponsive
Finally computer freezes and force shutdown is needed

I have already done a factory reset, but problem remains.

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Which model do you have? And where did you get your "updates" from?

dstrakele
10-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Hello everybody!

My keyboard works fine, however, EVERY time I resume the laptop from sleep/hibernate the computer freezes and I have to shut it down by holding the power button for a long time. I have updated all the drivers that I could think of, including the driver one, but still having the same problems. Also I didnt update the BIOS since the changelog did not mention any important change rather than the maping of the num keys.

I have already done a factory reset, but problem remains.

I recommend starting a new thread on this issue since it is different from the "keyboard issues" topic of this thread. In your new thread, discuss if your Resume from sleep/hibernate issue occurs AFTER you restore to factory settings, but BEFORE you install any other apps. Some applications do not work well with sleep/hibernate.

karlsmiley
10-30-2011, 04:24 PM
i have a minor problem with my KB all keys are ok except for "C" i have to like press it hard to register its kinda annoying i tried to fix this using teh guide here updated to latest bios 203 and ATK package but still no good didn't fix my problem :(

dstrakele
10-30-2011, 05:23 PM
i have a minor problem with my KB all keys are ok except for "C" i have to like press it hard to register its kinda annoying i tried to fix this using teh guide here updated to latest bios 203 and ATK package but still no good didn't fix my problem :(

Does Fn-C cycle the ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Utility through its modes on your system? If so and the function works, it looks more like a hardware problem rather than an ATK problem. I think you'll need to replace the keyboard to resolve this issue. If your system is new, I would contact the retailer and attempt to exchange it for a new system. If not, your options are to RMA the laptop for warranty work, or replace the keyboard at your cost - either doing the job yourself or farming it out to a qualified shop.

BrodyBoy
10-30-2011, 06:10 PM
In general, when people report keyboard issues that involve having to "press harder" to register a keystroke, doesn't that sound more like a physical problem than software? I guess I've never understood how drivers could fix that...

dstrakele
10-30-2011, 06:37 PM
They could be experiencing a missing keystroke issue and just think they need to press harder.

BrodyBoy
10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
It's weird how random and intractable certain issues seem to be in these models. Some people get these missing keystroke problems and have to try all sort of BIOS/driver combinations to get it to work right, while some of us never see this at all....even with the very same setup. Others of us get problem touchpads....at least one guy can't seem to find a video driver that works consistently....some have non-functional USB ports.

Obviously, owners who are trying to resolve issues are more apt to post on sites like this, but I wonder what proportion of units actually just function correctly, right out-of-the-box?

I have to wonder if this is a design weakness, assembly variance, or just poor quality control....

dstrakele
10-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Well you've been pegged as the "bad touchpad guy" who knows how to fix 'em and won't RMA, so there's no point in sending you a unit with a good touchpad. ;>{)>

BrodyBoy
10-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Lol! Well, I sure hope I've broken my string with this last one. (I was really starting to worry yesterday that it had bad USB ports. Wouldn't that be ironic? I finally get one with a working touchpad, only to have some other defect?? Yikes.)

G74SX.BBK7
11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
hey guys,
so i tried to reflash my NEW(1 DAY OLD) laptop with the new 203 bios because the num pad wouldnt function when i was playing warcraft. and yes, i did turn my laptop into a brick after that flash, but i am still looking for a solution to fix that number pad thing because i really need the numpad for gaming, i have read through the forum many times, but it does not conclude if flashing the bios will help solve this problem. I am not looking forward to flashing my bios and turning my laptop into a brick again. So if someone could help me through flashing the bios and/or any other solutions will be great! and why does the asus website only has the atk v1.0.0008? PS= i had to send it to my seller to perform a "hardware reset" whatever that is.. I am a newbie to laptops so please bear with me.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

JRd1st
11-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Not to be a Grinch or anything, but the flashing method is posted about a hundred places in this forum. Please use search. Hint, hint, search for FAT32 ;)

We'll all have to wait until the Asus engineers give us a real numpad fix. But, Shift+ numpad key = although key function. It just doesn't lock.

G74SX.BBK7
11-01-2011, 03:07 PM
thx for the reply, yea i know abt that, but im just afraid it'll turn my laptop into a brick again...

BrodyBoy
11-01-2011, 06:08 PM
As you have just discovered, unfortunately.....you can't fix/reset a bricked BIOS. Flashing the BIOS is not a difficult or particularly risky procedure when you use EasyFlash (the BIOS' own self-flash utility), but if you're really nervous about doing it, maybe you could just ask them to do it while it's in for repair.

grosbill
11-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi,

I must be cursed cause I got two problems on my G74 :
1- The numpad does not work.
2- Sometimes, while I am typing, the keyboard "jumps" on random letters. It's very annoying.

Is it a bios issue ? How can I solve these problems ?

JRd1st
11-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Update to BIOS 203 , update to atk package 1.0.00014, update your trackpad driver. Look in the sticky post titled "New Drivers"

Be careful to flash with EasyFlash built into the BIOS. Look at the end of THIS POST (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers&p=38072&viewfull=1#post38072) for instructions.

BTW, we all suffer from the numpad issue. We hope Asus will deign to restore a normal numpad/numlock function in a future BIOS.

Good luck!

G74SX.BBK7
11-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi,

2- Sometimes, while I am typing, the keyboard "jumps" on random letters. It's very annoying.

g'day mate,
feel your pain... but please do read how to flash the bios or you'll be stuck with a bricked laptop... i really suck at IT so yea... anyways good luck mate!

NeoteriX
11-02-2011, 03:21 PM
I believe any numpad issues are more BIOS issues. However, if you want to isolate whether the keyboard responsiveness is a hardware or software issue, I believe you uninstall the ATK package and KB Filter and try typing -- that is the unadulterated pure keyboard experience, though you lose the function of the backlightning and the FN software keys. If it works fine without the ATK/KB Filter, then you have to decide if the tradeoff for those software packages is worth it (the ATKs have been getting better and better).

However, you may be like me and are just not used to the sensitivity (or lack thereof of the hardware keyboard) and it's just a learning curve to get used to it (unfortunately, not every KB mfr is as awesome as Lenovo). I did the test and ended up reinstalling the ATK since my error rates were about the same with or without it.

Hi,

jsmith1642
11-03-2011, 08:13 AM
I've flashed to 203 and uninstalled 1.0.0.8 along with the filter driver. I've downloaded and setup ATK Package 1.0.0010. Somehow all of that seemed to remove the ATK keyboard altogether and auto-intalled PS2 Standard Keyboard. Did I delete a file that I shouldn't have? How to I install the ATK keyboard with the updated driver 1.0.0010? I'm hoping that and flash will correct keyboard lag & Delete Key not working.

BrodyBoy
11-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Uninstall ATK 1.0.0010. (If it actually did uinstall, you should find it in Control Panel->Uninstall a program, as ATK Package.) Download ATK Package 1.0.0014 and install that one.

dstrakele
11-03-2011, 01:56 PM
How to I install the ATK keyboard with the updated driver 1.0.0010? I'm hoping that and flash will correct keyboard lag & Delete Key not working.

I recommend you upgrade the Atheros Wireless Networik Adapter driver to version 9.2.1.432 or later. Earlier versions exhibit DPC Latency that I believe can contribute to keyboard lag and other performance issues. I believe the missing keystroke issue is different and more likely to be reduced by upgrading to BIOS 202 or later and ATK Package 1.00.0014.

grosbill
11-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Ok, will try this.

Uninstall ATK 1.0.0010. (If it actually did uinstall, you should find it in Control Panel->Uninstall a program, as ATK Package.) Download ATK Package 1.0.0014 and install that one.

It's pretty embarassing when it arrives when I play SC2. My hotkeys can be ****ed up when I set up my groups. :(

380mcn
11-04-2011, 01:36 PM
i have been playing wolfenstein2009 and there is a difference in the numkeys. For instance, the 1 is clearly marked in the game as (key1) and (numpad1) so the key1 above the 'q' key is different from the key1 on the right side of the keyboard..

(bios 203, atk xxxx08)

jsmith1642
11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
My g74sx is updated to keyboard driver 1.0.0014 and bios 203. I'm a graphic designer and photographer, not a gamer, so don't care about customized game keyboard layouts, etc. for that purpose. I've combed this forum but still am a little confused. So, do I understand that even with these updates, there is no NumLock capability on the keyboard? And when I use the external keyboard, is the NumLock "Off" disabled with no way to enable it?

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 05:39 PM
To my understanding, NumLock is locked ON with no way to disable it in BIOS 202 and 203, and you will see the same with an external keyboard. Another BIOS update will be necessary to restore full NumLock functionality, but I don't know if that is on ASUS's roadmap. Perhaps an ASUS employee can weigh in on that?

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't do that much where I care about the numpad issues myself, but is there any reason a utility like KeyTweak couldn't remap the numlock key?

grosbill
11-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Flashed my bios to 203 and did the ATK update.

Numlock works now but the keyboard is still bugging. When I type, it sometimes write random letters and goes in an other part of my message.

That sucks a lot.

I guess I should use the warrently then. :(

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Trun the touchpad off and see if that helps.

Miha6666
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Hello guys! My g74sx-3d has been updated with BIOS to 203 and i use ATK 100014. The keys now works fine. But since i had updated the BIOS to 203, the SPACEBAR on the keyboar is not illuminated!!! All other keys are ok! But the space is not lihted such on previuos BIOS version! Where is the problem? First light on the left part of the space works fine...but the other part is black. I have uninstalled and reinsatlled the ATK package,but the problem not gone!

Tnx fow answer and help! Bye

dstrakele
11-07-2011, 05:48 PM
You are observing normal behavior. The spacebar is not illuminated on the right because there is no icon there.

Miha6666
11-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I have in mind that last time was all illuminated...maiby im wrong...i dont know. :) I hope is like you told me <<dstrakele>>. :) Tnx for answer! :)

dstrakele
11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
You're welcome, Miha6666. I've had BIOS 201 & 202 and ATK packages 1.00.008 through 1.00.0014 on my G74SX-A!. I didn't notice any changes in keyboard illumination. The right edge of the spacebar is defined from the light of the right Alt key.

drek20
11-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Flashed bios to 203, updated ATK to newest. Still having keyboard issues my spacebar is a complete joke

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Besides being funny, can you describe the spacebar problem? "Joke" doesnt do us much good.

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Besides being funny, can you describe the spacebar problem? "Joke" doesnt do us much good.
He probably just means the same spacebar problem others with keyboard issues describe, where it takes multiple presses to evoke a response and doesn't respond to presses along the whole length of the bar. Sounds lke it would be awfully frustrating if you type very much at all. :(

PS: It's somewhat misleading, and probably really annoying for some users, that this thread marks the keyboard issues "SOLVED." A variety of proposed solutions have been posted here, including the BIOS/ATK combination mentioned in the thread title, but it's obvious that this problem is not so definitively "solved." Some have tried every fix posted and still have problems. Someone should change the thread title....

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
It would be better if he told us his exact problem. It could have been that half the spacebar is less illuminated. :p

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 10:37 AM
But that's not funny... ;)

I read his comment as a frustrated complaint, since there's no question.

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
But that's not funny... ;)

I read his comment as a frustrated complaint, since there's no question.

Ok, Mr Spock...

I was trying to convey that if he would be descriptive instead of angry we might be able to help.

drek20
11-10-2011, 07:04 PM
My spacebar takes 2-3 times pressed to repsond. BIOS 203 ATK 100014

Probobly going to attempt a return today at bestbuy.

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Good idea. You're not the only one with that problem, unfortunately. If you've tried the recommended fixes and it's still not working properly, exchange it for another one.

Good luck!

drek20
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
I bought mine in texas with 1yr accidental dmg warranty. Bestbuy canada will not allow a return or exchange on it even though i was told it would work either side of the border. Gonna try and sell it privately asap before im stuck with this piece of junk.

Good thing i kept my trusty G73.

BrodyBoy
11-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I bought mine in texas with 1yr accidental dmg warranty. Bestbuy canada will not allow a return or exchange on it even though i was told it would work either side of the border. Gonna try and sell it privately asap before im stuck with this piece of junk.

Good thing i kept my trusty G73.
Geez, that's annoying. Any way you could contact the store manager in Texas and see if he/she can help you out? Remind them of the policy you were led to believe applied?

drek20
11-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Geez, that's annoying. Any way you could contact the store manager in Texas and see if he/she can help you out? Remind them of the policy you were led to believe applied?

Not a bad idea, but im sure they'll tell me to RMA it. Either way its going to be a pain. If i make it to texas again(work there sometimes) im just gonna drop and break it. Get a new one.

drek20
11-11-2011, 07:00 AM
NOT SOLVED, never buying asus again.

dstrakele
11-13-2011, 05:58 AM
I don't believe it is possible to resolve keyboard lag / missing keystrrokes without updating the Atheros Wireless Network Apdapter driver to 9.2.1.432 or later and perhaps setting Browser to use software acceleration instead of GPU acceleration - done in addition to BIOS and ATK Package update.

There may also be faulty keyboards that will not respond to any of these software remedies.

JRd1st
11-13-2011, 09:41 AM
NOT SOLVED, never buying asus again.

Anyway don't blame Asus because we're grasping at straws to help you. We're users, not Asus employees.

fountainhead
11-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Two of the keys on my G74SX are slightly less responsive than others (the escape key and the 'b' key). They still work, but I have to press noticeably harder than on the other keys. Any idea if I can fix this myself? Like...without taking the keyboard apart which I've heard is a royal pain. Maybe the keys will improve if I constantly hit them harder, lol. I don't feel like sending my system in for such a minor issue just yet.

Forgot to mention, I've updated to the 203 BIOS and ATK 1.0.0014 which didn't fix it so it's looking like a hardware problem.

karlsmiley
11-15-2011, 10:57 PM
^ mine "C" key is my only problem :mad: need to press it hard to register. did all the fixes
but unfortunately i fixed nothing :( maybe its hardware and im kinda thinking the same thing hitting it hard constantly to fix it :D

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Try pushing down firmly on that key and wiggle it in a circular motion. That might clean some oxidation off of something. That used to work on the old keyboards.

xeromist
11-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Try pushing down firmly on that key and wiggle it in a circular motion. That might clean some oxidation off of something. That used to work on the old keyboards.

+1
I've had that work on a Logitech G15 as well.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 01:12 AM
I have a G15, too! :D But now I'm using a K800.

fountainhead
11-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give that a try! I mean, since I'm using this laptop for gaming I should probably just plug in a real keyboard but it'd be nice to sort out this minor annoyance.

GBLK
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
I have problems with the alt codes cant seem make them.. can anyone help?..

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
I have problems with the alt codes cant seem make them.. can anyone help?..
alt codes?

GBLK
11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I have problems with the alt codes .. cant seem to make them.

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Yes, I got that. But can you elaborate on what you mean by "alt codes?" And making them?

xeromist
11-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Windows has the ability to insert special characters when you hold the alt key and type a number. This is especially useful for people using an English keyboard to write in a foreign language. For example, to get you hold Alt and type 0241. Apparently this is not working for him.

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Windows has the ability to insert special characters when you hold the alt key and type a number. This is especially useful for people using an English keyboard to write in a foreign language. For example, to get you hold Alt and type 0241. Apparently this is not working for him.

Is that what the KB Filter is involved with? Chastity once said someplace that the standard windows one could be used instead. I wonder if that would solve his problem.

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 01:57 AM
I have problems with the alt codes .. cant seem to make them.
Try using the numeric keypad.

It that doesn't work, go into Device Manager and expand keyboard. One of those items should be a filter. Uninstall it then restart. Windows will install it's own driver. Restart again when prompted. Try to get the alt codes again. Always preceed the number by 0 ie alt 0216 =

rswfire
11-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I would uninstall the Keyboard Filter 1.0003 and reboot. See if things go back to normal using the MS driver.

Thank you. This is the only thing that worked for me on two different G74Sx machines! I was as frustrated as the person who originally posed the question to you! I was seriously about to give up on ASUS for good.

If so, then you can reinstall the KB Filter driver. Sometimes, the resources get remapped, and the driver needs to be reinstalled and resources redetected. Welcome to Windows. :) If you continue to have issues, then we'll setup an RMA with Asus Customer Care team.

I don't believe this is a Windows problem. It has happened to me on two separate machines, and to the other guy on two separate machines, plus who knows whomever else. I'm hesitant to reinstall the keyboard filter driver. What is its purpose? And why should I care if the standard keyboard driver works exactly the way it's supposed to?

Cheers.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't believe this is a Windows problem. It has happened to me on two separate machines, and to the other guy on two separate machines, plus who knows whomever else. I'm hesitant to reinstall the keyboard filter driver. What is its purpose? And why should I care if the standard keyboard driver works exactly the way it's supposed to?

Cheers.
Keyboard filters basically sit in the keyboard data chain and capture ("filter") the keystrokes before or sometimes after the windows driver processes them.

There are several ways this is used. The most obvious is keyboards with functions that employ non-standard or unused scan codes.....the custom KB filter catches those scan codes before they get to the windows keyboard driver, which wouldn't know what to do with them. Many manufacturers include some specialized keys (media, shortcuts, etc.) and the custom KB filter would capture those keypresses and send them to the proper program. (In Asus laptops, that would be the appropriate part of the ATK suite.)

From what I can tell by reading comments like yours, there must not be anything so non-standard in the Asus keyboards that the Windows driver can't handle it. I've seen lots of posts that suggest the laptops work just fine without the Asus KB filter, and no posts (yet) that have described a loss of any essential functions without it. I'm curious to hear about that if anyone does find soemthing.

The other possibility (likelihood, to my mind) is that the ATK package includes its own filtering functions and has made the KB filter driver obsolete. This is just a theory on my part, based on the fact that (1) nobody seems to lose functionality without the KB filter, and (2) Asus hasn't bothered to update it in years.

rswfire
11-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Keyboard filters basically sit in the keyboard data chain and capture ("filter") the keystrokes before or sometimes after the windows driver processes them.

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

From what I can tell by reading comments like yours, there must not be anything so non-standard in the Asus keyboards that the Windows driver can't handle it. I've seen lots of posts that suggest the laptops work just fine without the Asus KB filter, and no posts (yet) that have described a loss of any essential functions without it. I'm curious to hear about that if anyone does find soemthing.

I haven't lost any functionality without it. All the FN keys work, and even display their actions on the monitor (adjusting keyboard backlight, adjusting volume, changing performance profile, etc.)

The other possibility (likelihood, to my mind) is that the ATK package includes its own filtering functions and has made the KB filter driver obsolete. This is just a theory on my part, based on the fact that (1) nobody seems to lose functionality without the KB filter, and (2) Asus hasn't bothered to update it in years.

I would tend to agree with you on this, because it couldn't have a HUD without it.

Unfortunately, while it does seem like the keyboard works better, it still has issues. It doesn't always "register" when a button is pressed, especially when holding down the CTRL key, such as to copy and paste. I often end up with a "v" or an "x" where once I had some code highlighted. Same problem with the spacebar. It just doesn't seem to register! Very annoying for a programmer.

Also, I can be typing and for no apparent reason, suddenly my cursor is somewhere else on the screen. I'm not touching or rubbing against the touchpad as I've already made it a habit of avoiding that darned thing, so there's really no logical explanation for why that keeps happening. I had this exact same problem with the last machine. I was really hoping this would not become a persistent issue, but it is, and I can't have a machine with such a touchy and unreliable keyboard interface.

In all the years I've been using computers (I'm 34, and I started programming when I was 8), I have never encountered a system with keyboard issues. Out of so much good that's in this machine, an issue like this can seriously destroy any good reputation I have for it. This is my first ASUS machine and it's probably going to be my last. Sad, really. There's a lot I do like about it.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 07:08 AM
In all the years I've been using computers (I'm 34, and I started programming when I was 8), I have never encountered a system with keyboard issues. Out of so much good that's in this machine, an issue like this can seriously destroy any good reputation I have for it. This is my first ASUS machine and it's probably going to be my last. Sad, really. There's a lot I do like about it.
Damn, that's too bad about the keyboard. Unfortunately, you're not the first person to have that "unregistered" or resistant keypress issue. Some call this problem "SOLVED" with newer BIOS and ATK updates, but it's clearly not been completely solved.

The other issue, the cursor that jumps around on its own, strikes me as more of a touchpad malfunction, but who knows....could just be another keyboard gremlin that inhabits some of these machines.

I do think that thorough troubleshooting of these kinds of issues requires a clean, barebones installation. That's the only way to rule out software as the cause. If you haven't done that yet, I would give it a try. If the keyboard still exhibits the exact same keystroke registration problem, I think you have to conclude it's bad hardware. And that's when you return or replace it.

I've never had a system with keyboard issues, either. Fortunately, I didn't get that problem in the G74, but I was compensated with more than my fair share of touchpad issues.....another component I'd never seen a problem with before. As you say, there's so much to like in these machines, but they do seem plagued by some issues that seriously impact their basic usability. And that's a shame.

dstrakele
11-19-2011, 07:30 AM
In addition to updating the G74SX BIOS to 202 or later and installing ATK Package 1.00.0010 or later to address the keyboard lag / missing keystroke issues, I believe it is also important to update the Atheros Wireless Network Adapter driver to version 9.2.1.432 or later. The DPC Latency of the stock Atheros driver may also contribute to these keyboard issues.

I also think configuring the Browser to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering helps when typing in a Browser window (such as this forum).

For the cursor jumping around when typing, configuring the Sentelic "typing reactivation time" to 1.5 seconds or more will help. Otherwise, I find the 9.1.7.7 version Sentelic driver with ASUS SmartSense to be a more effective solution.

If your cursor moves erratically in normal touchpad usage, that is another issue that typically requires removal of tape and adhesive from the back of the touchpad, or touchpad replacement. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a software fix for this particular problem.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 08:45 AM
I believe it is also important to update the Atheros Wireless Network Adapter driver to version 9.2.1.432 or later. The DPC Latency of the stock Atheros driver may also contribute to these keyboard issues.
Great point. I sometimes assume everybody is running updated drivers and forget to mention that one.

As for touchpad reactivation, I have a slightly different take on it now that I've had a chance to use a functional touchpad. ;) In 9.1.3.5, I now find that simply checking the "disable touchpad while typing" option works just fine. In fact, upping the reactivation time seems to make the touchpad feel unresponsive. I almost think that, rather than being smart enough to measure an interval after typing ceases, it actually just applies the delay whenever you take a break from using the touchpad. Going back to 0.5 sec eliminates that lag....and I've happily rediscovered that a "normal" touchpad doesn't move around with a mind of its own anyway!

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Why doesn't Asus just update that darn driver on their support pages?

rswfire
11-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm using the latest drivers available from this thread:

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers

If it weren't for that thread, I would have believed I was using the latest drivers. ASUS clearly needs to get better at their online support. :-)

I don't think my issue is with the touchpad. Like I said, I do my best to avoid it. There's clearly a keyboard problem though, and no amount of updated drivers or tinkering with settings seems to be able to fix it. And I wouldn't conclude it's just a bad system, as it has happened twice on two stock machines now. It just doesn't reasonably respond to clicks and it seems like it moves the cursor to a different part of a page when a certain combination is "detected" -- the randomness of where it ends up is what's most annoying about the problem. I suppose it's possible though I'm still touching the top-right corner of the touchpad while I type; it's hard not to. I wish ASUS would have used Synaptics instead of Sentelic.

rswfire
11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Well, I'm at a loss. There seem to be two issues at play here.

1. The Keyboard. It definitely doesn't respond to clicks. It especially has a problem with the space bar. I'm hesitant to even say that as no key seems to be immune. It's nearly impossible to type a single sentence without having to "take my time at it" and "correct all the mistakes" from the keyboard missing keystrokes. And holding down the CTRL key while trying to perform a "complex function" such as selecting specific items from a list invariably fails. Half way through, the machine "forgets" I'm holding down the key and deselects everything I'd previously selected and selects the last entry, forcing me to start over.

2. The Touchpad. I agree now that the mouse movement and text getting highlighted and deleted are the result of my palm touching the top-right of the touchpad as I type. I upgraded to the latest Sentelic driver and it only made the problem worse. I customized it to disable most gestures (then all gestures) and suddenly the touchpad becomes almost unresponsive. The computer still functions but with a major lag. If I look at the icon for the touchpad in the notification area, it shows continual activity, even when I'm not touching the computer at all. I had to uninstall it.

As for the first issue, I believe I've done everything recommended by these forums. I've flashed to the latest BIOS, I've updated to ATK 1.0.0014, I've uninstalled the keyboard filter, and I've updated the Atheros WiFi to 9.2.1.459. Is there anything else I can do?

As for the second issue, I'm not sure what else is left other than to rip the machine apart and clean up the back of the touchpad, as I've seen recommended here. Is there a useful post showing how to do this? I'm a software engineer which generally means I'm not a hardware engineer, lol.

Man, it's frustrating as hell to spend $1800 on a computer that you think is pretty awesome, only to be superbly disappointed by such basic issues as a keyboard and touchpad!

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Have you tried a clean Windows installation? (Sorry if you already said you did....I lose track. ) I really think that a barebones clean installation is the only way to finally determine whether that keyboard problem is hardware or software.

But this may all be a moot point, if your touchpad is bad. Does it misbehave other than when you're typing? That is, when you're using it, does the cursor start going all haywire and become uncontrollable? If it does, I think you have "the touchpad plague." The G74 touchpad is installed differently than the G73, so that tape clean-up procedure doesn't really apply. I've tried a variety of clean-up approaches on the G74 touchpad, and none worked. Personally, I'm operating on the assumption that a bad G74 touchpad is damaged (or defective) and should be replaced. If you think your touchpad fits the description above and you're still within the return Window, I would send that G74 back ASAP and get a different one. (This is what would make the keyboard issues moot....)

rswfire
11-19-2011, 10:29 PM
The problems existed with a fresh install, before I had installed anything. This is my second G74 as I returned the first one to Amazon.com and they promptly replaced it. The second one is no better. It makes me feel like there's just something fundamentally wrong with these machines, or perhaps the ones from Amazon, lol. (I say that because I've read quite a few people on here who've had problems bought theirs from Amazon.)

The touchpad only became "virtually uncontrollable" when I upgraded to the latest driver. For some reason, it really didn't like that one. As soon as I went into the settings features and disabled most of the gestures, the settings application froze up, the pointer moved very slowly, and the notification icon showed continual activity even when not being touched, but the touchpad itself could still be used.

I could live with a defective touchpad -- I'd just disable the stupid thing and use an external mouse (though that's not really my preference as I hardly ever sit at a desk when I'm using my laptop), but the lagging keyboard and missing keystrokes is literally killing me. I just can't take that!

I think I'll return this thing and waste some money on an Alienware. I'd rather have a system I know works.

P.S. There's nothing fancy installed on this machine -- just Office 2010 and Adobe Creative Suite 5.5.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 10:49 PM
The problems existed with a fresh install, before I had installed anything.
If the keyboard malfunctions the same way in both the Asus installation and your own clean Windows installation, I'd call it quits and declare it defective.

I think I'll return this thing and waste some money on an Alienware. I'd rather have a system I know works.
Understandable. Now, it did take me three tries to get one that worked well, so I know it IS possible. But should someone have to do that to get a brand new computer that works properly? Of course not.

ktp
11-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Hello,

I am also frustrated by the keyboard problem (random missing keystrokes). I am thinking about using an external USB keyboard to bypass the problem (a full keyboard with numeric keypad is necessary, otherwise since the Numlock is always on, a mini-keyboard would be unsuable). Is there anyone that tried this and did it work ?

Of course I would like to have a software solution without requiring the external keyboard, but the BIOS/ATK/Atheros updates as mentioned did not work.
Also do think disabling (uninstalling the touchpad completely) could fix a problem ?

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Sure, lots of people use external keyboards. It's a "bypass" as you say, and not a solution to the problem.

Would disabling the touchpad fix what problem? The keyboard issue? That's very unlikely, since they use different drivers, different interfaces, and send their signals on different cables. No harm in trying, though.

dstrakele
11-22-2011, 02:57 AM
1) Flash BIOS 202 - It's recommended for these keyboard issues and will also allow give you the Numpad keys. NumLock is locked ON however and cannot be changed. BIOS 203 will also work and allows the ROG key to enable/disable 3D if you should have a 3D system.

2) Install ATK Package 1.00.0010 or later. It is recommended to uninstall the stock 1.00.008 ATK Package and reboot before installing the later version. I went for the latest at the time - version 1.00.0014.

3) Eliminate DPC Latency. Install Atheros Wireless Network Adapter driver version 9.2.1.432 or later. The stock driver has BAD DPC Latency. Consider installing DPC Latency Checker. There may be other drivers on your system contributing to latency which will cause keyboard lag and possibly missed keystrokes.

4) Configure your Browser to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. It may help when you are typing in a Browser window.

5) In Keyboard Properties, reduce "Repeat delay:" by moving the slider all the way to the right towards "Short". Then increase "Repeat rate:" also be moving the slider to the right towards "Fast" to the point where you start typing inadvertent double characters. Then back it off a scosh, so you only type double characters if you mean to...

I can say I certainly do not experience any keyboard lag. I may have an occasional missed stroke, but that happens to me on other keyboards on other computers - more a reflection of my (lack of) typing skills than a keyboard issue.

jmkenz60
11-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Good Day to all, as a new G74sx user the lack of a NumLock key versus "Launching the Windows Calculator" key is difficult.

Why Asus did not list this a product "feature" is troubling, I would have made other thoughts on an otherwise cost effective laptop build.

rswfire
11-23-2011, 07:49 PM
1) Flash BIOS 202 - It's recommended for these keyboard issues and will also allow give you the Numpad keys. NumLock is locked ON however and cannot be changed. BIOS 203 will also work and allows the ROG key to enable/disable 3D if you should have a 3D system.

2) Install ATK Package 1.00.0010 or later. It is recommended to uninstall the stock 1.00.008 ATK Package and reboot before installing the later version. I went for the latest at the time - version 1.00.0014.

3) Eliminate DPC Latency. Install Atheros Wireless Network Adapter driver version 9.2.1.432 or later. The stock driver has BAD DPC Latency. Consider installing DPC Latency Checker. There may be other drivers on your system contributing to latency which will cause keyboard lag and possibly missed keystrokes.

4) Configure your Browser to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. It may help when you are typing in a Browser window.

5) In Keyboard Properties, reduce "Repeat delay:" by moving the slider all the way to the right towards "Short". Then increase "Repeat rate:" also be moving the slider to the right towards "Fast" to the point where you start typing inadvertent double characters. Then back it off a scosh, so you only type double characters if you mean to...

I can say I certainly do not experience any keyboard lag. I may have an occasional missed stroke, but that happens to me on other keyboards on other computers - more a reflection of my (lack of) typing skills than a keyboard issue.

These are all really great suggestions, and I actually did all of these things, on two machines, and still neither fixed the issues I had. And given I've been typing on keyboards for more than twenty years, I can say that it wasn't me, but the machine. I'm typing on a small Acer laptop until my Alienware gets here, and I've not missed a single keystroke or mistyped a single character. And I type really fast.

I'm glad you were able to sort out the issues with the keyboard, and I hope that many others are as fortunate. For me, however, nothing helped, and I've concluded that ASUS is to blame. They've known about these issues since the G73 series and they're still persistent in the G74 models. That's really not acceptable in my opinion. These could be great machines, truly rivaling Alienware, but with such basic issues as an unresponsive keyboard and a too-sensitive touchpad (where the sensitivity cannot be adjusted), ASUS has failed in my opinion.

All of that aside, I just hope that most users of the ASUS G73 and G74 models never have to go through the frustration that I did.

rswfire
11-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Good Day to all, as a new G74sx user the lack of a NumLock key versus "Launching the Windows Calculator" key is difficult.

Why Asus did not list this a product "feature" is troubling, I would have made other thoughts on an otherwise cost effective laptop build.

I agree, it is a bit bizarre, but I actually liked that "feature." :-)

(I tend to use the Calculator a lot.)

chenty
11-24-2011, 07:54 PM

BIOS 202 or 203, and the latest ATK still doesn't give me Numpad keys, so to your point number 1, I can say it may be fixed for "some" people, but definitely not "all" people. I hope the problem will be addressed by ASUS in the future.

chenty
11-24-2011, 07:57 PM
The problems existed with a fresh install, before I had installed anything. This is my second G74 as I returned the first one to Amazon.com and they promptly replaced it. The second one is no better. It makes me feel like there's just something fundamentally wrong with these machines, or perhaps the ones from Amazon, lol. (I say that because I've read quite a few people on here who've had problems bought theirs from Amazon.)

The touchpad only became "virtually uncontrollable" when I upgraded to the latest driver. For some reason, it really didn't like that one. As soon as I went into the settings features and disabled most of the gestures, the settings application froze up, the pointer moved very slowly, and the notification icon showed continual activity even when not being touched, but the touchpad itself could still be used.

I could live with a defective touchpad -- I'd just disable the stupid thing and use an external mouse (though that's not really my preference as I hardly ever sit at a desk when I'm using my laptop), but the lagging keyboard and missing keystrokes is literally killing me. I just can't take that!

P.S. There's nothing fancy installed on this machine -- just Office 2010 and Adobe Creative Suite 5.5.

I have the touchpad problem, too. Suddenly, the pointer will jump around and I can no longer control it (I am not typing on my keyboard). I tried to restart the laptop, uninstall drivers, or try different drivers, and nothing fixed the problem. However, the problem disappear after I left my G74 on over the night, and the touchpad just worked again. It happened several times like that already, and the problem just went away by itself, very frustrating!!

neoxes
11-24-2011, 09:20 PM
I have the touchpad problem, too. Suddenly, the pointer will jump around and I can no longer control it (I am not typing on my keyboard). I tried to restart the laptop, uninstall drivers, or try different drivers, and nothing fixed the problem. However, the problem disappear after I left my G74 on over the night, and the touchpad just worked again. It happened several times like that already, and the problem just went away by itself, very frustrating!!

Same here... All drivers and software updated...

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 09:28 PM
@ chenty & neoxes:

How long have you had your laptops? If your touchpads are truly faulty, this problem isn't going to go away. (It may disappear for a little while, chenty, but it always comes back.) I'm not talking about an occasional glitch here and there....many things can cause that. I'm talking about the touchpad function becoming so random and uncontrollable that the touchpad essentially becomes unusable. And these episodes happen repeatedly, anywhere from several times a day to a few times a week.

If that describes your touchpad behavior, and if you are still within your return periods, I strongly urge you to exchange your G74 for a new one.

neoxes
11-24-2011, 09:54 PM
@ chenty & neoxes:

How long have you had your laptops?

One week, I think I'll try it a little more. The biggest problem is with two keys: "U" and "Del".

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 10:30 PM
One week, I think I'll try it a little more. The biggest problem is with two keys: "U" and "Del".

The keyboard problem is a separate thing....some people get that straightened out, some don't But it's specifically the randomly-erratic touchpad problem, if you have it, that won't be resolved through any software/driver fixes you attempt. It's a hardware issue.

neoxes
11-24-2011, 11:11 PM
The keyboard problem is a separate thing....some people get that straightened out, some don't But it's specifically the randomly-erratic touchpad problem, if you have it, that won't be resolved through any software/driver fixes you attempt. It's a hardware issue.

What do you mean with randomly-erratic problem?
The biggest problem with my touchpad I think is driver related. No options to set sensibility and scrolling speed...

JRd1st
11-24-2011, 11:15 PM
The biggest problem with my touchpad I think is driver related. No options to set sensibility and scrolling speed...

I always thought the tp needed a sensibility adjustment, too. :thumbsup:

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 12:24 AM

If you have to ask, you don't need to worry about it! :) Your first post suggested that you were experiencing the same touchpad problem that chenty described, but if you just don't like the driver functions, that's a whole different deal.

chenty
11-25-2011, 05:19 AM
@ chenty & neoxes:

How long have you had your laptops? If your touchpads are truly faulty, this problem isn't going to go away. (It may disappear for a little while, chenty, but it always comes back.) I'm not talking about an occasional glitch here and there....many things can cause that. I'm talking about the touchpad function becoming so random and uncontrollable that the touchpad essentially becomes unusable. And these episodes happen repeatedly, anywhere from several times a day to a few times a week.

If that describes your touchpad behavior, and if you are still within your return periods, I strongly urge you to exchange your G74 for a new one.

I have had my G74 for about 3 months, so can't return anymore. Maybe I will contact ASUS support to fix it. Very disappointed for such fundamental things, though the laptop is great otherwise.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Those freaking tp's get everyone in the end. :mad:

neoxes
11-25-2011, 10:15 AM
I can't understand if my keyboard problem is hardware or software, can anybody help me?

EDIT
I tried an Ubuntu Live CD, it's definitely an hardware problem...

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Tess us what the problem is. My mindreading doesn't work at 0630.

neoxes
11-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Tess us what the problem is. My mindreading doesn't work at 0630.

Two keys don't work properly, I've to press them very hard to work. These keys are "U" and "DEL".

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
And you get the same in ubuntu. Try pressing them firmly and doing a circular motion. This may clean some oxidation. If it doesn't work, set up an RMA and explain how it can't be a driver or software problem. If you have to.send it in, inslude that ubuntu cd and instructions.

neoxes
11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
And you get the same in ubuntu. Try pressing them firmly and doing a circular motion. This may clean some oxidation. If it doesn't work, set up an RMA and explain how it can't be a driver or software problem. If you have to.send it in, inslude that ubuntu cd and instructions.

The laptop has one week of life, if I send it back to my shop I think they've to replace it with a new one. Or not?

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 11:59 AM
In that case bring it back to the retailer for an exchange.

neoxes
11-25-2011, 12:42 PM
In that case bring it back to the retailer for an exchange.

Thank you very much for your help mate!

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Anytime, dude. That's why I'm here! :D

Aion
11-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Hi

Sorry to bring this up but, i flashed the bios to the 203 and although i have the 3d vision enable i still don't have
numpad, same old calculator is back.
what do i try now?

Aion
11-26-2011, 03:14 AM
I didn't flash it to 202, i went straight to 203...
should i have done it :-( ?

dstrakele
11-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Hi

Sorry to bring this up but, i flashed the bios to the 203 and although i have the 3d vision enable i still don't have , same old calculator is back.
what do i try now?

BIOS 203 does not turn the calculator into the NumLock key. It does change the Numpad keys. They were the same as the top row number keys in BIOS 201. ASUS will need to supply a new BIOS to restore the NumLock key. An ASUS employee will have to update us if this is in the BIOS update roadmap.

I didn't flash it to 202, i went straight to 203...
should i have done it :-( ?

No problem going direct to BIOS 203. It contains all the changes implemented in 202.

ktp
11-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Just to inform that it seems for me that the missing keystrokes appear to be mostly the Delete/Insert/Home/End keys, the left Ctrl key, and the Fn keys (F3, F4 at least since I usually need them). Otherwise the plain A-Z and numeric keys seem OK, no missing keystroke.

My external USB keyboard/mouse combo will be ready in few days, so I will have the opportunity to test it. A good and reliable keyboard is mandatory for anyone having to type code (programming).

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 10:41 AM
The externals will work fine. ;)

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Or just anybody having to type..... :(

It's a serious issue that many people don't have a properly-functioning keyboard on this thing. The "missing" keystrokes, BTW, seem to vary with different machines.....though the Delete key is a common one.

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
If you can, ruturn that one and exchange for another notebook, not necessarily Asus. :thumbsdown:

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 11:05 AM
If you can, ruturn that one and exchange for another notebook, not necessarily Asus. :thumbsdown:

Do you suppose there's just some bad keyboard hardware shipping on some of them? I haven't seen this particular issue with any of the three I've had, but some people get this and nothing seems to really fix it. I think maybe it's like the touchpads...if you get one of the bad ones, you might as well give up and exchange it. :(

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Probably, but its because Asus using cheapo crap on Premium notebooks. It HAS to be crap otherwise QC would have stopped it before it went out the door with defects.

I used to do QA and my wife stil is l does. This lack of control and/or any apparant concern is extremely troubling.

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah....it really is. I replaced my phone recently, and I was reminded again that there ARE companies who put a lot of effort into getting this right. It IS possible.

Man, if Asus actually wanted to own the "quality PC laptop" segment of the market, they so easily could. 'Cause I think it's pretty vacant right now.

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah....it really is. I replaced my phone recently, and I was reminded again that there ARE companies who put a lot of effort into getting this right. It IS possible.

Man, if Asus actually wanted to own the "quality PC laptop" segment of the market, they so easily could. 'Cause I think it's pretty vacant right now.
Which phone did you get?

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Which phone did you get?
The last couple have been iPhones. I just bought new 4S's for myself and my kids, and I'm thoroughly impressed with the fit, finish, quality, functionality, and support. I was really annoyed at first when iOS5 made my 3GS run slower, but they fixed that quickly, and now the 4S is just better in every way.

(I don't remember getting any emails from Asus "introducing" me to my computers! And I certainly don't remember any follow-up emails explaining all my support options..... They could take a few lessons from Apple.)

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Apple makes nice products, but others are catching up. The Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty nice besides the faulty GPS in the Galaxy 1's, and whomever manufactures the Kindle Fire did an AWESOME job with the fit and finish and it's a reasonable price and runs pretty snappy, too.

Hey, I don't know what's going on at ASUS, but it's going to ruin the good reputation they took years to build all to save a mere pittance in production costs. Hell, I'd pay $50 extra to get a unit with good Wifi, good TP with decent grounding, a good kb, and display with an adequately secured cable, wouldn't you?

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey, I don't know what's going on at ASUS, but it's going to ruin the good reputation they took years to build all to save a mere pittance in production costs. Hell, I'd pay $50 extra to get a unit with good Wifi, good TP with decent grounding, a good kb, and display with an adequately secured cable, wouldn't you?
Absolutely! That's what I meant about them having a chance to own the "quality PC laptop" market, because nobody's competing for that segment, as best I can tell. Some folks strive to skimp everywhere they can, of course, but I think there are a lot of us who would pay more for a PC laptop with the reputation for build quality that Apple laptops have earned. (And lately, I've been especially annoyed at the idea of those lame wi-fi cards Asus puts in their TOTL units. C'mon....150Mbps?)

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 08:03 PM
... and their lack of concern over the Atheros driver from hell!

ktp
11-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Hello all,

I just receive my external USB combo keyboard-mouse today, and it is a real pleasure to get back a keyboard that reacts as it would! I find back my pleasure and productivity typing text and programs now. And of course the external keyboard has standard keyboard placement, in particular the grouped Ins/Del/PgUp/PgDn/Home/End. Additional bonus would be other extra keys that I could program and use. No more missing Del/Home/End and other keystrokes!

It is really a shame that Asus quality control team has left out this problem over an otherwise excellent laptop like this G74SX. Their bundled backpack would have a place to put an external keyboard :-).

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Lets face it, Asus doesn't care about our convenience and wishes.

kouotsu
12-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Just updated the BIOS and it 100% fixed my keyboard, what a relief! I use an external keyboard anyways, but it's nice to know my laptop no longer has any faults. I would constantly miss keystrokes in the rare instances I use the laptop keyboard, but I typed on it for like an hour after updating the BIOS and it didn't miss a single keystroke.

giggidy
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Last resort if anyone wants to try before Rmaing is to go on eBay type in g74 keyboard and try one of those replacement keyboards. Last I checked there was one going for about 20.

giggidy
12-05-2011, 02:34 AM
I am convinced the issue is not the software but is the hardware. It might be the way the keys are positioned on the g74sx keyboard... that make it so you do not hit the keys exactly to register a hit

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 03:26 AM
I am convinced the issue is not the software but is the hardware. It might be the way the keys are positioned on the g74sx keyboard... that make it so you do not hit the keys exactly to register a hit
What makes it so hard to troubleshoot is that both seem to occur, and the symptoms can be very similar. There is a "glitchy keyboard" problem that has indeed been resolved by many owners through the right combination of updates (software and firmware). But there are also some that are utterly stubborn....it seems to be certain keys that consistently malfunction on a given unit, regardless of the software/firmware configuration...those would appear to be a hardware defect.

Last resort if anyone wants to try before Rmaing is to go on eBay type in g74 keyboard and try one of those replacement keyboards. Last I checked there was one going for about 20.
The G74 is new enough that every unit should still be under warranty. I can't imagine paying to replace a defective part in a new computer. I'd let Asus cover it.

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I can't imagine paying to replace a defective part in a new computer. I'd let Asus cover it.

I can. When it's Asus RMA that's in question, I'd fix my own notebook if at all possible.

Sorry to say it but after 4 months on this site I know better than to send my notebook in for anything less than a catastrophic burnout, or something similar.

Sometimes principles and common sense don't mesh. :shrug:

giggidy
12-05-2011, 05:55 PM
or you can go to the closest asus dealer and have them swap out parts if possible :)

and if worse comes to worst we can wait and hopefully the g75 keyboard will be hotswappable.

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Id rather that they work on a real bios for the G74 than work on the G75. I'm not made of money.

BrodyBoy
12-05-2011, 11:10 PM
or you can go to the closest asus dealer and have them swap out parts if possible :)
Do you know something I don't know??

Where I live, Asus dealer = Best Buy. You think those guys could/would swap out parts? You would let them touch your computer? Most of them can't tell a laptop from a microwave oven....even though they work both departments. ;)

giggidy
12-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Do you know something I don't know??

Where I live, Asus dealer = Best Buy. You think those guys could/would swap out parts? You would let them touch your computer? Most of them can't tell a laptop from a microwave oven....even though they work both departments. ;)

linkhttp://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Warranty/NB_ANSP/index.html

unfortunately only a select few states have support centers that will take in your notebooks. i havent personally used them but maybe some poor soul out there might give it a shot.

ktp
12-06-2011, 06:40 AM
We all hope that the issue is software, then it could be fixed with new BIOS version. But this is too much assumption of course (software origin, fix being recognized developed by Asus).
Christmas it not so long though! Hopefully Santa Klaus could bring us the BIOS 204 with keyboard fix :-).

JRd1st
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
We all hope that the issue is software, then it could be fixed with new BIOS version. But this is too much assumption of course (software origin, fix being recognized developed by Asus).
Christmas it not so long though! Hopefully Santa Klaus could bring us the BIOS 204 with keyboard fix :-).

Santa lives in Taiwan? Lol I'll take a BIOS with a side of veggie fried rice. :D

hirethestache
01-03-2012, 04:26 AM
Id rather that they work on a real bios for the G74 than work on the G75. I'm not made of money.

Doubled on that. I just got my 74sx (got a clean install from GenTechPC.com, no BW) and I love it other than the fact that my CTRL key occasionally doesnt work, and the touch pad seems to detect touch on the outside of the upper left. This computer INTERNALLY is superb though. Im on all default drivers (other than nvidia) as Im still trying to catch up on what I need to do, though.

Having to type with my hands floating above the surface of the computer is kind of annoying, I'll say that. I wish there was a way to "remap" the surface of the touch pad.

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Having to type with my hands floating above the surface of the computer is kind of annoying, I'll say that. I wish there was a way to "remap" the surface of the touch pad.

If you have a Sentelic touchpad, the 9.1.7.7 version driver has a feauture called "ASUS SmartSense". It essentially deactivates most of the touchpad surface when typing, leaving only a small circle area that must be touched to reactivate touchpad functionality. You can configure the size and location of this reactivation area. I've found the default settings to be sufficient to avoid any unwanted touchpad movement during typing.

hirethestache
01-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Awesome, thanks. What are the pros and cons of upgrading to BIOS 202/203?

Edit: Just upgraded to 9.1.7.7 and noticed it completely deactivates the touch pad when typing. While this is all fine and dandy for desktop computing, couldnt this pose as a problem for people who play games like WOW, or use programs like Photoshop (where keys+mouse strokes are used)?

Is there any solution to this other than slightly elevating my wrist above the touch pad? It seems that if they can specify an area of the touch pad, they would equally be able to do the same type of region limiting that does NOT deactivate the touch pad when typing.

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Currently you have 2 choices for Sentelic touchpads - 1) the ASUS SmartSense in version 9.1.7.7 you now know about, or 2) the touchpad reactivation time method used in earlier Sentelic drivers. It is configured to 0.5 seconds by default and can be increased to avoid inadvertant cursor movements or selections when typing.

Neither method allows for simultaneous touchpad movement and keyboard entry. They both must be disabled. An alternative is to disable the touchpad and use a mouse. You could submit your idea to Sentelic as a feature request for a future touchpad driver. I think your idea of being able to configure a smaller active touchpad surface is a good one if it is possible to implement.

Updating to BIOS 203 (contains all the changes implemented in BIOS 202) will put NumLock in a permanent active state, change the Numpad keys to their true Numpad values (instead of copying the number keys on the top row) and give you a hotkey to enable/disable 3D vision.

The downside is the system may become unusable if the BIOS update fails, requiring an RMA to ASUS to fix under warranty. You can increase your odds of success by using the EasyFlash utility in your current BIOS to perform the update and use a flash drive formatted to FAT32 to store the BIOS file. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html is a guide for all your BIOS updating needs.

hirethestache
01-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Currently you have 2 choices for Sentelic touchpads - 1) the ASUS SmartSense in version 9.1.7.7 you now know about, or 2) the touchpad reactivation time method used in earlier Sentelic drivers. It is configured to 0.5 seconds by default and can be increased to avoid inadvertant cursor movements or selections when typing.

Neither method allows for simultaneous touchpad movement and keyboard entry. They both must be disabled. An alternative is to disable the touchpad and use a mouse. You could submit your idea to Sentelic as a feature request for a future touchpad driver. I think your idea of being able to configure a smaller active touchpad surface is a good one if it is possible to implement.

Updating to BIOS 203 (contains all the changes implemented in BIOS 202) will put NumLock in a permanent active state, change the Numpad keys to their true Numpad values (instead of copying the number keys on the top row) and give you a hotkey to enable/disable 3D vision.

The downside is the system may become unusable if the BIOS update fails, requiring an RMA to ASUS to fix under warranty. You can increase your odds of success by using the EasyFlash utility in your current BIOS to perform the update and use a flash drive formatted to FAT32 to store the BIOS file. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html is a guide for all your BIOS updating needs.

Thanks for the heads up on flashing. What would YOU recommend is the easiest route for someone who is more-or-less relatively tech savy but has never flashed the BIOS?

BrodyBoy
01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up on flashing. What would YOU recommend is the easiest route for someone who is more-or-less relatively tech savy but has never flashed the BIOS?
dstrakele's recommendation in his previous post is both his recommendation and the best method. Use the EasyFlash method. It's very quick, easy, and painless....just follow the directions carefully.

dstrakele
01-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Yep - like he said! Thanks for picking up my slack, Brody! I got distracted over at the Galaxy Nexus forum on AndroidCentral...

twofourzero
01-04-2012, 03:01 AM
my "fn" volume keys no longer work...in fact only the fn dim works.

300mph
01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
In general, when people report keyboard issues that involve having to "press harder" to register a keystroke, doesn't that sound more like a physical problem than software? I guess I've never understood how drivers could fix that...

To those of you who have experienced missed keystrokes and noticed that you have to press a key again or harder than usual to get it to register I have observed the same thing on my G74SX-DH73-3D.

I have done some experimenting and found that my problem is indeed a mechanical one. The issue here is the mechanical design of this keyboard lends itself to this type of problem. If you place your finger lightly on a key and move it from side to side you will notice that the key surface will rock back and forth and will not stay level with the surface plane of the keyboard. This can cause a situation where if you hit a key off center near the edge it may stop before the key registers.

In my case I noticed this on the '5' key on the numpad. If I place my finger on the edge of this key and press down until I feel the key click, but no harder, it will never register because the side of the key has hit the bottom of the stroke but the center of the key has not. If I then rock my finger to the center it will register.

This IMHO is a very bad mechanical design that leads to missed keystrokes. In this design the keys do not have that much travel in the first place so any rocking of the keys will cause missed keystrokes when the edge of the key hits first. I think ASUS should fix this problem and replace these marginal keyboards.

OviOneKenoby
01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Hello.
I ordered a few days ago a G74SX (G74SX-TZ340D) witch, should arrive in one day or so..
I`m curious about one thing.. Do all G74 have backlit keyboards?
Asking because some sites, state that it has a backlit keyboard, other sites dont (this exact model).
And i ordered assuming it has an illuminated keyboard.. :D
Would like to know if i was wrong. Thank you :)

BrodyBoy
01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Hello.
I ordered a few days ago a G74SX (G74SX-TZ340D) witch, should arrive in one day or so..
I`m curious about one thing.. Do all G74 have backlit keyboards?

I believe they all do, yes.

OviOneKenoby
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I believe they all do, yes.

Thanks! I`ll report back if by any chance this one dosent :)

Norocel
01-30-2012, 12:37 AM
My g74sx suddenlly does not recognize "alt gr" button , i have norwegian keyboard and tryed to delete it in regional,treyed to swich to english one,once again the button does not take any action.I hardly belive it's windows fault,but i just changed it and really don't want to do it again now,is there any advice you guys may have? Thank you very much !

Fordalla
03-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Okay so I JUST received my g74SX NH71 and I'm running into some serious keyboard issues. my X key doesn't work unless I use the left shift key, my right shift key won't work with half the keyboard, occasionally when hitting a key I will be bombarded with a repeating xxxxxxxx(like that) until I hit backspace. I've ran all the system updates, I've updated the ATK package to 1.0.0014. Nothing has worked so far. I'm genuinely upset that the computer I spent 1400 dollars on is this broken out of the box. Not the kind of quality I expected from ASUS.

BrodyBoy
03-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Okay so I JUST received my g74SX NH71 and I'm running into some serious keyboard issues. my X key doesn't work unless I use the left shift key, my right shift key won't work with half the keyboard, occasionally when hitting a key I will be bombarded with a repeating xxxxxxxx(like that) until I hit backspace. I've ran all the system updates, I've updated the ATK package to 1.0.0014. Nothing has worked so far. I'm genuinely upset that the computer I spent 1400 dollars on is this broken out of the box. Not the kind of quality I expected from ASUS.
If you have updated the BIOS and ATK Package, and there are certain keys that are consistently errant, it's most likely a hardware issue. While some owners have found ways to modify keys to improve their functions, this shouldn't be necessary with a brand new computer.

Most units don't have this problem. So despite the disappointing delay it will cause, simply returning that unit as defective and getting a different one should take care of it.

Fordalla
03-30-2012, 07:41 PM
If you have updated the BIOS and ATK Package, and there are certain keys that are consistently errant, it's most likely a hardware issue. While some owners have found ways to modify keys to improve their functions, this shouldn't be necessary with a brand new computer.

Most units don't have this problem. So despite the disappointing delay it will cause, simply returning that unit as defective and getting a different one should take care of it.

Thanks for the quick response. I called the ASUS support today and was given the info to return it. I gotta say ASUS is really awesome when it comes to support. I had no hold time, and was directed to an associate who spoke clear english and was very helpful. I wish all companies took after these guys.

BrodyBoy
03-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I called the ASUS support today and was given the info to return it. I gotta say ASUS is really awesome when it comes to support. I had no hold time, and was directed to an associate who spoke clear english and was very helpful. I wish all companies took after these guys.
And I wish you experience with Asus was more universal...! ;) (Sadly, they aren't exactly known for such stellar customer support.)

But in any event, I'm glad it went well and I hope you get a new one quickly. (I hope that the "return it" info you're talking about wasn't for RMAing it to them....what you want to do is return it to your retailer and get a different one, not send it to Asus for repair.)

grayrock
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I was having this same issue with my keyboard. It would skip keys as I was typing. I installed the KB driver and still the issue remained. And I followed the instructions to the letter.
I had to RMA it to Milpitas, CA (I live in Indiana), and am patiently waiting to get it reparied and back on my desk. :)
However, something I didn't mention in my RMA, is that the auto update for ASUS firmware was telling me there was a update for my firmware, but when I downloaded it, and went to upgrade the firmware, the program told me that this firmware wasn't for my laptop. However, it was listed for my laptop. No big deal, as long as the RMA issues are fixed, I will be a very happy camper. :)
Thomas

BrodyBoy
04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
However, something I didn't mention in my RMA, is that the auto update for ASUS firmware was telling me there was a update for my firmware, but when I downloaded it, and went to upgrade the firmware, the program told me that this firmware wasn't for my laptop. However, it was listed for my laptop. No big deal, as long as the RMA issues are fixed, I will be a very happy camper. :)
Thomas
This is an error that occurs when you try to update with Asus Live Update. Consider yourself lucky that it happens, as that's a particularly risky way to update the BIOS. If the techs don't update it for you, and you want to do it after you get it back, the only way you should ever update the BIOS is with the Easy Flash utility. (Detailed instructions. (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vdg51lpjqcmrjqv))

JSBrown
05-01-2012, 06:33 AM
I am having some serious problems with my keyboard. When typing the mouse pointer takes off on its own and I even lose the text I have been typing. It becomes highlighted as if I selected it then disappears. Very frustrating trying to type a two line message/email. I have wanted to put my fist thru the dam screen countless times. What makes if more frustrating is that I cannot update to the 202 bios version at all. Asus update utility dl's it then it says its not compatible. WTF? If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

zsld0423
05-03-2012, 05:23 AM
I am having some serious problems with my keyboard. When typing the mouse pointer takes off on its own and I even lose the text I have been typing. It becomes highlighted as if I selected it then disappears. Very frustrating trying to type a two line message/email. I have wanted to put my fist thru the dam screen countless times. What makes if more frustrating is that I cannot update to the 202 bios version at all. Asus update utility dl's it then it says its not compatible. WTF? If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

For the BIOS, I'd say instead of using the Asus update utility, go to Asus's website and manually download the 202 or 203 BIOS yourself. It should be a .zip file, so you'll need to extract the image out of that and put it on a FAT32 Flash Drive. Reboot your computer and enter the BIOS, and from there navigate and go to the Easy Flash Utility, and flash the new BIOS yourself. Takes a minute or 2 and then it's done.

edit: Follow BrodyBoy's instrutions here (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vdg51lpjqcmrjqv)

As for the erratic touchpad behavior, I've had that same problem as well. And it seems like nothing fixes it for me, it randomly comes and goes :( The best option I've had luck with is that I always have a USB mouse plugged in, so in the mouse options I have it set so that the touchpad is disabled when a mouse is plugged in. Other than that, you could try turning down the sensitivity on the touchpad, or there may be an option for "Typing Detection" which will disable the touchpad whenever you are typing

BrodyBoy
05-03-2012, 07:33 AM
You can update with Easy Flash, as zsld0423 just mentioned. (This is the safest way to update anyway, so just use that method whenever you need to update.) But if this problem is essentially a bad touchpad, which can manifest in what appear to be the keyboard issues you described, the BIOS update may not help much. But go ahead and update it, then do a repair install of the ATK Package in Control Panel.

If this doesn't help, you might try a couple other drivers to evaluate whether this erratic behavior is driver-independent. Here's what I'd recommend.

Look at the mouse device in Device Manager and make note of your touchpad manufacturer. (Sentelic or Synaptics)
Uninstall its driver (in Control Panel), and reboot.
When you reboot, Windows will install its own generic mouse driver. It won't have the multi-touch gestures, but it's functional. Use that for 2-3 days to see whether the erratic behavior occurs with that driver.
Download the latest version of the manufacturer's touchpad driver. Install it and reboot.
Do a repair install of the ATK Package in Control Panel, and reboot.
Use that driver for a few days to evaluate the erratic behavior.

If the touchpad exhibits the same problem under all these circumstances, it's probably bad hardware. If you are still within your retailer's return window, send that computer back and get a replacement. If not, the only true repair is touchpad replacement. But if you have a Sentelic TP and want to just use an external mouse, using driver v.9.1.7.7 should allow you to turn the touchpad off.

quinn
05-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Good day everyone i was having the same problem related to the keyboard light of the G74sx
tried almost every suggestion in the forum that's related to the BIoS ,was on 203 and gone back to 202 via easy flash was a success as a flash but a failure for the keyboard ,removed ATK trial and error method for almost every version and no luck
UNTILL it worked when i followed THe GARY KEY METHOD
here is the link :

http://www.hardwareoverclock.com/download/

choose G73JhFixKBLights.rar download
and here is a quote from the forum topic :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/513264-keyboard-light-fix-gary-key.html

That said there are three compressed folders within the downloaded file. The fine people at HP produced an excellent USB Disk Tool that allows you to create a bootable USB Flash Drive and this program is located in the HPUSBDisk.rar folder. In order to create a bootable drive you will also need the required DOS files and the nice personnel at Microsoft provided these files in the Win98boot.rar folder. Extract both folders to your hard drive and open the HP USB Disk tool and follow the instructions to create a clean bootable flash drive. Additional instructions on how to do this are easily available via Google. After creating the bootable flash drive (FAT32 is the safest option) then you will want to extract the contents of the Fixmykb.rar file to this drive.

For those of you who already have a bootable USB Flash Drive then you will want to extract the contents of the Fixmykb.rar file to this drive. Now you are ready to have the lights come on.

1. Boot into Windows and turn off the lights completely using the light switch button in the upper left corner on the keyboard deck. Insert your bootable USB flash drive with the Fixmykb.rar contents extracted on to it.
2. Reboot and quickly start tapping the Delete key to enter the BIOS. You will want to navigate to the Boot section of the BIOS and then change the Hard Drive boot settings on Option 1 to your Flash drive. Exit the BIOS while saving the settings and the unit should boot of the USB drive now.
3. Once you have booted off the USB drive, simply type fixmykb and you should see a flash completion screen immediately. Remove the flash drive and power down the system.
4. Wait ten seconds and then power up the system and enter Windows. Once in Windows, turn on the lights with the switch button and you should have a backlit keyboard now, use FN+F4 to brighten the keyboard or FN+F3 to dim it.
5. Now just in case this did not work then reboot the system and wait until you are in Windows, press FN+F4 a couple of times and the keyboard should be backlit now. We did experience on two systems (several BIOS flashes to various builds along with the vBIOS flashes) that the unit needed the ATK drivers loaded again so if the lights are not working by now, please reload the ATK drivers. I highly recommend using the latest version on our site. After uninstalling the old set, rebooting, and then installing the latest ATK driver set the lights should start working again after using the FN+F4 procedure.

My comment: this is a similar problem for the g74sx as g73 tried and voila it's like a charm ,btw i didn't need to remove atk drivers and update ,already am on -------15 version and also it gave an error on the win98 start up when u enter the folder for the keyboard fix minus 1 error can't write however still worked like a charm first a flicker when u restart then entering windows and using fn +f3 or f4 worked and the animations are assigned to it

SO my advice for every1 with the light problem follow the instructions first before trying bios flashing or anything as it did nothing for me ,i'm grateful to every1 who participated in this solution ,hope asus would adopt it and implement in the next bios

any questions feel free
CHEERs :)

MowShow
06-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Hi guys, got my G74SX last week. Happy with it but like others in this thread am having keyboard issues.

I haven't read through the entire thread as i simply do not have the time. But am hoping someone can just point me to a post or explain what i need to do to fix my issue.

The issue i am having is with key presses being missed. I've in particular noticed it with the 'a' key, but several others including space bar. Sometimes it happens multiple times in a row, requiring me to press the key 3-5 times before it is recognized.

This is the only issue I have picked up on so far and am happy with my laptop other than this at this point but it is beginning to get frustrating.

I am not driver/flashing/bios savvy, so I most likely require basic, step by step instructions on how to fix this issue (assuming it is fixable). It would be very much appreciated if someone could give me/point me towards the instructions or guides required.

Thanks.

Mrs Pugs
08-19-2012, 07:17 PM
I've been reading thru this whole thread.

I have the Asus G74Sx.
I have the same num lock problem, but unlike the gaming angle I want to be able to use alt codes.
Is there a way to do that?
And if I update the bios, will I then be able to do the alt codes?
That's all I want to work, so if the bios update doesn't fix that, then I don't need to do it.

Please help

valoisr
08-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Simply use them ... ex: etc ...

Ray

julie bess
09-27-2012, 01:55 PM
how do i uninstall ATK 1.0.00010. ?? also i am having problems with memory.. can i just wipe it clean and reinstall windows??

julie bess
09-27-2012, 02:04 PM
G74Sx model.. I also can't update bios.. it hasn't updated since i've had this computer.. says the version don't match or something.. on the keyboard issue. will the fix uninstalling the ATK l.00010 fix the problem I am having with typing? when I type it will jump from where I am typing to somewhere else. say like to another sentence that I had already typed. it will start typng in random areas and not where I am typing at the current time. very aggravating and u have to go back and see where it added more to what was already typed. u have to erase that and move the cursor back to where u was typing. it does this all the time and also has done this since i've had it. please help me with this issue. a lot of money for a laptop that won't do right. I have no problems with the numpad however.

cicosdinel
09-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Good day everyone i was having the same problem related to the keyboard light of the G74sx
tried almost every suggestion in the forum that's related to the BIoS ,was on 203 and gone back to 202 via easy flash was a success as a flash but a failure for the keyboard ,removed ATK trial and error method for almost every version and no luck
UNTILL it worked when i followed THe GARY KEY METHOD
here is the link :

http://www.hardwareoverclock.com/download/

choose G73JhFixKBLights.rar download
and here is a quote from the forum topic :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/513264-keyboard-light-fix-gary-key.html

That said there are three compressed folders within the downloaded file. The fine people at HP produced an excellent USB Disk Tool that allows you to create a bootable USB Flash Drive and this program is located in the HPUSBDisk.rar folder. In order to create a bootable drive you will also need the required DOS files and the nice personnel at Microsoft provided these files in the Win98boot.rar folder. Extract both folders to your hard drive and open the HP USB Disk tool and follow the instructions to create a clean bootable flash drive. Additional instructions on how to do this are easily available via Google. After creating the bootable flash drive (FAT32 is the safest option) then you will want to extract the contents of the Fixmykb.rar file to this drive.

For those of you who already have a bootable USB Flash Drive then you will want to extract the contents of the Fixmykb.rar file to this drive. Now you are ready to have the lights come on.

1. Boot into Windows and turn off the lights completely using the light switch button in the upper left corner on the keyboard deck. Insert your bootable USB flash drive with the Fixmykb.rar contents extracted on to it.
2. Reboot and quickly start tapping the Delete key to enter the BIOS. You will want to navigate to the Boot section of the BIOS and then change the Hard Drive boot settings on Option 1 to your Flash drive. Exit the BIOS while saving the settings and the unit should boot of the USB drive now.
3. Once you have booted off the USB drive, simply type fixmykb and you should see a flash completion screen immediately. Remove the flash drive and power down the system.
4. Wait ten seconds and then power up the system and enter Windows. Once in Windows, turn on the lights with the switch button and you should have a backlit keyboard now, use FN+F4 to brighten the keyboard or FN+F3 to dim it.
5. Now just in case this did not work then reboot the system and wait until you are in Windows, press FN+F4 a couple of times and the keyboard should be backlit now. We did experience on two systems (several BIOS flashes to various builds along with the vBIOS flashes) that the unit needed the ATK drivers loaded again so if the lights are not working by now, please reload the ATK drivers. I highly recommend using the latest version on our site. After uninstalling the old set, rebooting, and then installing the latest ATK driver set the lights should start working again after using the FN+F4 procedure.

My comment: this is a similar problem for the g74sx as g73 tried and voila it's like a charm ,btw i didn't need to remove atk drivers and update ,already am on -------15 version and also it gave an error on the win98 start up when u enter the folder for the keyboard fix minus 1 error can't write however still worked like a charm first a flicker when u restart then entering windows and using fn +f3 or f4 worked and the animations are assigned to it

SO my advice for every1 with the light problem follow the instructions first before trying bios flashing or anything as it did nothing for me ,i'm grateful to every1 who participated in this solution ,hope asus would adopt it and implement in the next bios

any questions feel free
CHEERs :)
Work with this.Thank's

hirethestache
09-29-2012, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=cicosdinel;164271]Work with this.Thank's[/QUOTE

Is this the solution for only the light issue?

PPanda
08-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Will this work for g750jw?