PDA

View Full Version : G75VX screen a bit blurry?

arock
03-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi all - first post. Just picked up a G75VX and love almost everything about it. However, the screen is just not as crisp as I was expecting. Just feels like there is something that makes text and images a bit blurry. Is that normal for this model? I did some searching here on the forum but could not find any definitive word either way about the display panel quality.

Just looking for a couple opinions - the rest of the laptop is great and I can probably live with it if my display panel is normal for this model. But if I just got a bad panel, I can exchange the unit.

Thanks all!

Edit: Just to be clear, yes I am running at the panel's native resolution of 1920x1080 at 32bpp and am using the latest NVidia beta driver 314.21. Display quality was the same with the stock driver.

bignazpwns
03-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Yes and yes. Yes its normal and yes its a bad panel but only by design. I mean its cheap lcd.

But the blurriness is because its a matt display and not of high qualty. IE. G775's look blury to me my Dell 30 inch that is also mat is perfect but then again that ultra sharp has a very very nice panel and the G75 couldn't even get a stock run of the mill ips that are becoming more and more common on systems.

You can always do what i did. Swap out the stock panel for a IPS display. I picked glossy since its better for gaming and what not and everything looks better then on mat. That and the lighting where i sue it don't cause any glare and i don't use it outside so i can use gloss with no bad effects that glossy's have. I payed $140 for my display and it was worth every penny. Better blacks, better rgb, higher contrast you name it. And installing it was not to hard but deff. the next step above installing a hdd in the system and upgrading the stock ram under the kb.

If it really brothers you just upgrade the display.

PCAnyWhere
03-20-2013, 01:47 PM
I also picked mine up just 2 days ago and did find it a tad grainy. I have been using an Asus Zenbook UX32VD which is a 13.3" screen with 1920X1080 so that would be expected since the PPI would be much higher.

This may be the result of the matte screen as well.

PCAnyWhere
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Also there is another thread about the panel type and how you can check. But I didn't see any consistency in the manufacturer types that would indicate a poor panel really:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30517-Asus-downgraded-and-gimp-the-1080p-screen-on-the-G75VX-compared-to-G75VX&referrerid=761

Living Room Rocker
03-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi arock,

I had the same thing with my G55 (bought in Jan.). I used the later Nvidia driver (not ASUS' version) and then played with changing the size of all items in Control Panel/Display settings. I found Medium to work well. Now things are samller than originally set, but everything looks sharp. It's not too small to read, but I do (sometimes) use the magnifier to compensate. Give it a try and see if that does the trick for you.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

arock
03-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Thank you all for the quick and informative replies. Sounds like my panel is normal - and yes, it makes sense that it's the matte aspect that makes it look a bit grainy. I have an external monitor that I can use for cases when I'm not truly "mobile" with the notebook, so it's all good.

And thanks for the encouragement about thinking about a replacement IPS panel - just might do that someday. For now I need to get up the courage to void the warranty and upgrade the machine to 32GB RAM.

bignazpwns
03-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Thank you all for the quick and informative replies. Sounds like my panel is normal - and yes, it makes sense that it's the matte aspect that makes it look a bit grainy. I have an external monitor that I can use for cases when I'm not truly "mobile" with the notebook, so it's all good.

And thanks for the encouragement about thinking about a replacement IPS panel - just might do that someday. For now I need to get up the courage to void the warranty and upgrade the machine to 32GB RAM.

I send in a friends VW i upgraded the display on and outside of a long turn around time they did not give him any issues with it. But then again it was all done right and chances are better then what their tech center would do. And it was a glossy display so its not like you could not tell.

Pitcher@asus
03-21-2013, 03:59 AM
so now, problem is fix? if you try to all way can not help, and you still concern, you can send back to service center to check.