PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx and Windows 8

Montavious
03-20-2013, 02:45 PM
I just install windows 8 on my g74sx. I noticed a lot of my asus utilities are now missing, like Power4Gear Hybrid Utility. I also noticed my when I look at my system info its now showing that my PC is an ASUS at all. In windows 7 it would show up as ASUStek or something like that.

Problems so far:

1. Some hotkeys not working
2. Most ASUS utilities not working
3. My SD drive is not working now
4. My PC type is not showing in my system info, dunno if thats gonna be a problem
5. My microphone plugin is not working now, can hear through a headset but cant use the headsets microphone. To talk on Skype i have to use my built in PCs microphone, pretty irritating.

Pitcher@asus
03-21-2013, 02:39 AM
yep, asus have not provide win 8 drivers and utilities for G74SX, you are try G75VX win 8 utility, but i am not sure it is able to use.
also you can search from here, i saw some people sharing clean install guide in here for win 8.

ang1dust
03-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Windows 8 is not intended for desktop gaming enthusiests. Go to Windows 7. It will save you a lot of time and suffering. This is not like saying go back to Windows XP from Windows 7 when it was released. This is because Microsoft has stated Windows 8 does not take gaming into consideration at all. I suspect Microsoft will come out with a newer edition for us later but we will be last....and who cares really?

indianacarnie
03-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I agree 100% with angldust. I would personally suggest an upgrade back to Windows 7. Yes I said upgrade and meant it. Windows 8 is a monstrosity meant for tablets/phones and has no place on a real computer, much less a gaming computer. I have my doubt's about Microsoft fixing or even addressing this myself as Gamers make up too small a segment of their sales. Do yourself a favor,save yourself a lot of headaches and upgrade to Windows 7.

kaltoreth
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Im sorry, but I disagree so much on the "win 8 isnt for gaming" argument.

I bought win 8 some time ago, and fps wise, and driver wise, i feel no difference between win7 or 8 what so ever. Not better, not worse. Gaming wise, its a status quo. I made a few benchmarks with 3dmark and Novabench before and after i upgraded with fresh installs. It was the same. (plus minus the minor numbers you get on every system when you rerun). Sadly I can't back it up with screenshots as I dont have them. But do the same thing, and youll see what Im talking about ....

Actually:

I DO feel, that win8 is a better OS than than win 7 when it comes down to it .. Since i have upgraded my 74sx as much as i can (fast 16gb ram, SSD etc..)

So I dont see why you guys are telling people to downgrade ? Sure - If you dont LIKE the windows 8 due to its new looks, thats one thing. Its a love, hate thing.

But dont go scare people off windows 8 just because you dont like it.