PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Wifi Card Question

elite-fusion
03-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Hey guys,

I recently upgraded my Verizon Fios to the fastest package which is 150mpbs down / 65mbps up but for some reason I feel like the computer isn't using all of the speed that is given to it so I want to upgrade my internal wifi card.

Any ideas of which one would be BEST for me? Please assist

elite-fusion
03-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Anyone????

digitard
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM
WiFi is always a theoretical max. There's so many factors that can affect speed that it's not uncommon with any wifi hardware to experience issues where speed isn't where you'd think it would be.

Such as:
Interference
Distance
Objects such as walls, etc, causing signal dampening.

Because of that no matter what card you use you run the risk of not getting where you think you should be. Also it depends a lot on your router, as that can bottleneck your speed too.

Does your FIOS connection go into a standalone router, or is the wifi built in? Is the WiFi dual band? Does it support 5GHZ? Actually, is your home router even N supported? You won't get near that unless you're on N on the laptop (as G is limited far below that).

If you want to push it a bit you'll probably want to make sure both your new card, and router, support 5ghz and dual band so you can get that extra speed. The 5ghz spectrum isn't a "far" in terms of signal, but it also doesn't have nearly as many things that use that frequency to interfere with (the 2.4ghz N is a much more crowded airwave with things like microwaves, portable phones, and other nearby N 2.4ghz systems to congest it).

I may be rambling... but hopefully that makes some sense.

elite-fusion
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
my router is the one that Fios provided. Once I upgraded to this speed, they came and replaced the router with a better one. They drove a wire from the basement wall unit into this router, so no coaxle cables in it, strictly ethernet. The router is in the same room as the computer, no more than 5 feet away. Its under my tv and the laptop is in bed pretty much.

digitard
03-20-2013, 08:14 PM
If you do a Speedtest both wired to the router, and wireless are they dramatically different?

elite-fusion
03-20-2013, 08:14 PM
havent tried wired, will let you know once I get home today.

digitard
03-20-2013, 08:18 PM
I'd definitely do that. That'll give you a baseline.

Also remember a lot of that stuff is going to have possible limitations on where the server your connecting to is, hops in between, total speed that server can handle (.ie 10/100/1000mbps port + current load and datacenter configuration), etc. That can all mess with your speed.

Definitely do a wired test to a variety of connections on speedtest.net, and then do a wireless to the same exact and see what you're looking at for max to both. You may need to try quite a few connections (both near and semi far to you) to find ones that have a high throughput to get a decent idea on your actual speeds.

Example: I get 30/30 on my run of the mill cheap COX cable connection, and there's quite a few "nearby" speedtest sites I get horrible results from, but then there's others I get my full 30/30. So it can take some time to find reliable sites to test on.

cl-Albert
03-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Sorry, I don't know a lot about this myself, but expect it has been discussed before.
Searching the forums for "G74Sx wireless" pulls up a couple threads below as well as others if you want to take a look, but not really sure how useful they will be.
I also agree with digitard that you want to check the wireless and wired performance just to make sure everything else appears okay.

Bigfoot Killer Wireless 1103 in G74SX (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3604-Bigfoot-Killer-Wireless-1103-in-G74SX&highlight=G74Sx+wireless)

Upgrading WIFI card on G74SX? (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3394-Upgrading-WIFI-card-on-G74SX&highlight=G74Sx+wireless)

Hope this helps!