PDA

View Full Version : HELP! BSOD on Asus G75V when trying to detect devices!

Spectrometrist
03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Hello, hope you are doing fine. This is my first time writting here.

I have an Asus G75V computer with Windows 8 Pro. It originally came with Windows 7 but I upgraded the OS. My computer was working fine with Windows 8 Pro; however, I had to do a reboot of it thanks to an external hard drive that messed lot of things within it. In the reboot process many drivers were gone (but Windows made a list of programs that were deleted) so I started to look for the official Asus G75V Windows 8 drivers on the support webpage.

Now everything is working fine with the exception that everytime I try to look for any devices in the WIndows 8 configuration page my screen goes blue and I keep receiving the famous: DPC_Watchdog_Violaton error. At first I thought this was a Bluetooth driver problem since I was trying to connect a BT headphone set to my computer (which was working fine before the reboot) but even when the BT is not activated and I try to look for any devices the BSOD appears again.

Here is my system info:

computer name: G75V-PC
windows version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17130569728 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1912238080

Im not any computer expert, but I tried to update drivers and identify which thing was causing the problem with the WhoCrashed software and the main errors I am getting are:

On Wed 20/03/2013 16:51:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\032013-19343-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7A040)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x281, 0x280, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 20/03/2013 16:51:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: athw8x.sys (athw8x+0xC2FC3)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x281, 0x280, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\athw8x.sys
product: Driver for Qualcomm Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter
company: Qualcomm Atheros Communications, Inc.
description: Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: athw8x.sys (Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Qualcomm Atheros Communications, Inc.).
Google query: Qualcomm Atheros Communications, Inc. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

P.S. As by now I have updated many drivers including some Qualcomm Atheros related ones but still no luck.

Pitcher@asus
03-21-2013, 04:54 AM
search from here, i saw people share DPC_Watchdog_Violaton error in here.http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2012/11/a-guide-to-blue-screens-of-death-dpc-watchdog-violation/

dstrakele
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
If I were attempting a quick fix, I'd try UNinstalling the Qualcomm Atheros WiFi driver from Control Panel, then reboot. This should remove C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\athw8x.sys. If you still get a BSOD on launching Device Manager, more work will be necessary.

...I had to do a reboot of it thanks to an external hard drive that messed lot of things within it. In the reboot process many drivers were gone (but Windows made a list of programs that were deleted)...

When you say "reboot", do you mean Windows System Restore? It sounds like Windows 8 did a System Restore to an earlier time before you installed the ASUS drivers. A simple reboot should not delete any drivers, let alone give you a list of what was deleted. The System Restore SHOULD'VE left the system in a stable state provided the Windows 8 Pro installation was successful.

1) Was this a clean Windows 8 Pro install or an upgrade of Windows 7?

Any operations involving an external drive shouldn't bork your OS. You should've been able to just disconnect it.

2) What exactly happened with the external drive that caused problems with Windows 8?

The key is if Windows was stable after the reboot (which appears to be a Windows System Restore).

3) In other words, could you launch Device Manager at that point (before installing anything) and NOT get a BSOD?

If a Windows System Restore was performed, you should be able to again Restore your system to that point and attempt to reproduce your issue. If launching Device Manager causes no problems, you can begin installing the ASUS drivers one at a time, rebooting after each installation and then attempting to reproduce the issue.

If you Restore to the time before you installed any ASUS drivers and still get a BSOD on launching Device Manager, it is probably best to start over and completely reinstall Windows 8 Pro. The OS is the foundation of your system and should be rock solid before you install anything else to it.