PDA

View Full Version : Asus auto update?

willy
03-21-2013, 01:15 AM
I thought I read somewhere on this site that the Asus updater can brick the laptop. Just wondering how I can turn off the auto update? Thanks

Clintlgm
03-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Control panel/programs features, uninstall it

Pitcher@asus
03-21-2013, 05:36 AM
uninstall or stop asus life update.

whathedo69
03-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Is it true that it can do that because I have mine on and to check for updates once a month

httuner
03-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Is it true that it can do that because I have mine on and to check for updates once a month

Asus auto update sometimes will update the BIOS on its own, this causes your laptop to brick because forsay if you were playing a video game or doing some other task, this will interfere with the BIOS update and it'll cause a fail bios flash update, then your in trouble_ So just disable it in the settings menu in the program or uninstall it_

whathedo69
03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
I have the latest bios version 223 already will it still try to update and brick me I have all drivers and programs to the latest versions so it shouldn't have to update anything soon or at least until asus releases some new updates witch I don't think that will be for awhile so what do you think should I kep it active or should I disable it?

Clintlgm
03-21-2013, 02:16 PM
You don't need this program at all. It is very simple to just log onto Asus web site and download and install manually any updates you think you need. Do to the risk of bricking your NB I have it uninstalled on my NB. Remember any important updates will get posted here as soon as they come out. You don't need to update you BIOS unless your having a problem that any particular BIOS update specifically addresses. I myself am still on 210 and I haven't seen any updated BIOS that will improve anything on my NB. I have seen many NB bricked here in this forum that BIOS Updates have crippled and or Bricked.
Then again this is just me and MHO, I don't even let Microsoft automatically update my computers, I check every suggested update and uncheck any that I don't like. Such as Video Card updates

willy
03-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the replys.

GottiBoi55
03-22-2013, 01:38 AM
The best thing to do is just uninstall the "Asus Live Update".
Most here does, this program is not need, if you have a "Asus VIP Account" you can get all the upodates there.
Or you can get updates here on the driver update page.

BIOS upadates are better done per the EZ-Flash in the BIOS Controll Panel.
BTW, I'm still on BIOS ver. 210 (never just update because there's a "new ver")
If your system is running fine, why risk it, too many have bricked there MB from failed BIOS flash here!
Just search the forum, and you will find many horror stories about bricked MB after failed flash!

BTW, Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Arvinaaaaa
03-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Uninstall now

SpeedyPC
03-22-2013, 03:33 AM
Where can I find what bios version I have on my new laptop, I believe I think I have 204.

Clintlgm
03-22-2013, 04:26 AM
Hwinfo64 will show you just about everything in your notebook including what BIOS version you have.

SpeedyPC
03-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Thinks for the tip Clintlgm.

whathedo69
03-24-2013, 10:00 AM
When I first got my laptop I wanted to make sure i had all the latset updates for everything why i dnt know its just me its like an ocd thing i guess but maybe im just a lucky one cause i have all the latest updates and my rig is running great no problems at all latest bios 223 version and all im vefy happy with my g75vw its money well spent