PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Windows 7 Keyboard & Touchpad Issues

Ichigo0Soul
03-23-2013, 05:07 PM
I purchased an Asus G75VW-TH72 back in January and, since I despise Windows 8, I installed Windows 7 onto an additional SDD I had. I had no Windows 7 drivers, so I downloaded them and installed them. Everything has been working great and I am very satisfied with the computer.

The first issue I'm having (and have been having since I got the computer) is that while I type, the mouse will randomly click. It's already happened 3 times whilst I've been typing this post. It doesn't do it when I turn the touchpad off, so I am fairly certain it's my palms that are causing it to click. That's the problem. Asus advertises its touchpads as having Palm Proof Technology. Also, I have read that there is supposed to be a configurable option in the Synaptics driver. This is not the case for me. There is no configuration option for any kind of palm detection.

The other issue I'm having is with my keyboard. It will randomly think that I'm pressing the CTRL key while I type. This constantly results in me opening a new tab in my internet browser, bringing up the "Open File" window, etc. It's been happening since I downgraded to Windows 7.

Is there a way to fix these issues?

Ichigo0Soul
03-24-2013, 03:32 PM
There's another issue that I thought had been fixed, but occurred again today. Sometimes my 750gb HDD will just stop working and disappears from the "Computer" menu. When I restart or hibernate the computer, it reappears.

Pitcher@asus
03-25-2013, 05:36 AM
1. please install driver again and ATK
2. please check your Ctrl key on the KB, is it too oppression.
3. reinstall your vga driver.

Ichigo0Soul
03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
But what could the issue with the hard drive be? It happened again 5 minutes ago. It's starting to really get on my nerves.

dstrakele
03-25-2013, 02:26 PM
What make and model HDD is installed in your laptop? Look in Device Manager for the model# if you don't know.

If I were in your situation, I would open the back of the laptop and remove and reseat the HDD. See if that eliminates the disappearing act. Then run HDTune or your HDD manufacturer's proprietary HDD diagnostic utility to confirm your HDD is sound.

Ichigo0Soul
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
The device is listed as a Hitachi HTS727575A9E364 ATA Device in the device manager. And I've already reseated the hard drive twice. And it just disconnected again.

I just ran HDTune, and it displays the hard drive's health as being OK. I'm assuming that when you run a benchmark, the transfer rate is supposed to drop the further you get into the test (which is what it did). I ran a quick error test and it returned no errors.

One thing I haven't tried (frankly, I'm afraid to) is swapping my SSD and my HDD into each others' bays to see if it's the mount rather than the hard drive that is having the issue. I really don't want it to just disconnect and then ruin my Windows install.

cl-Albert
03-26-2013, 07:52 PM
The first issue I'm having (and have been having since I got the computer) is that while I type, the mouse will randomly click. It's already happened 3 times whilst I've been typing this post. It doesn't do it when I turn the touchpad off, so I am fairly certain it's my palms that are causing it to click. That's the problem. Asus advertises its touchpads as having Palm Proof Technology. Also, I have read that there is supposed to be a configurable option in the Synaptics driver. This is not the case for me. There is no configuration option for any kind of palm detection.

Welcome to the forums! Hope my screenshot below is not too busy, but tried to squeeze everything into 1 screenshot from my G75VW Win7 test unit. Refer to the numbers below for more info.

1. Check your device manager if necessary to confirm the 'Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad' is installed under the 'Mice and other pointing devices' with driver V15.3.43.0 from the ASUS download site.
The screenshot is not shown for the device manager, but if the Synaptics driver is installed, you should see an extra tab for the Synaptics Device Settings under the Windows 7 Mouse Properties as shown in the screenshot and click on the 'settings' tab to open up the Windows 7 touchpad properties.

2 and 3. Under the touchpad properties, there is an ASUS Smart Detector feature with help and settings options. Click on the 'settings' symbol/option to open the ASUS Smart Detector settings which I really haven't fooled around with much myself, but looks like it can help you control accidental cursor movement.

4. If it makes any difference, you can also right click the touchpad symbol in the taskbar and disable the 'tap to click' function as in the screenshot if you don't want to use it.

The other issue I'm having is with my keyboard. It will randomly think that I'm pressing the CTRL key while I type. This constantly results in me opening a new tab in my internet browser, bringing up the "Open File" window, etc. It's been happening since I downgraded to Windows 7.

Not sure really what this does or if it will help, but there is a Keyboard Device Filter Utility driver version Version V1.0.0.3
under the 'Utilities' section of the ASUS G75VW Win7 64-bit driver downloads you can try.

There's another issue that I thought had been fixed, but occurred again today. Sometimes my 750gb HDD will just stop working and disappears from the "Computer" menu. When I restart or hibernate the computer, it reappears.

If you don't have anything on that 750Gb hard drive (and don't mind reinstalling Windows) or still have Win8 installed, consider testing it by itself on the other hard drive connector just to make sure the problem is not following the hard drive, but if you don't see any problems, it would be nice if you had another hard drive that you don't mind using for the other connector.

Ichigo0Soul
03-27-2013, 06:03 PM
I believe I have the touchpad issue fixed, thanks to cl-Albert's post. I haven't messed with the keyboard yet, and the hard drive seems to be holding steady for now.

However, I came across another issue this morning when I opened my laptop lid. Dead/stuck pixels. I have a square-shaped bunch of them in the bottom middle of the screen, a cluster of 3 on the bottom left, and one in the top left: http://i.imgur.com/NvFnxeH.png

I've already tried using JScreenFix and UDPixel to fix them, but I'm fairly certain they're dead, as they are only invisible when the black color is selected in UDPixel.

cl-Albert
03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Doesn't sound like a dusty or dirty screen although you may want to double-check before you try to get the LCD replaced for the pixel problem.
Check with your local ASUS support office, or try this link (http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en) to find contact information.

Ichigo0Soul
03-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I clean my screen all the time, and I had been using the computer less than 6 hours prior to discovering the spots. And I don't have the liberty of going to a local ASUS support office, as I'm pretty sure there aren't any in Afghanistan.

kauaikid
06-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I was experiencing the same touchpad issues and all issues seem to be resolved after uninstalling the Synaptics software and going to their site and dowloading and installing the software again.

Ichigo0Soul
07-16-2014, 09:10 AM
I wanted to post an update to this.

I have my keyboard and touchpad issues sorted now, but the hard drive issue hasn't gone away. It actually got worse today, because now the computer can't even detect anything inserted into the bay labeled "R". I've tested both of my hard drives on another computer to confirm that they both work, and when I use my SSD in the "R" bay, I get a 'no boot device' error. Restarting/reseating isn't working, so I can only use one bay at a time. I'm worried that the other bay is going to go bad as well, and then I won't be able to even use the computer. I use my laptop very very often and it would be extremely problematic for me if it were to stop working.

Are there replacement bay ports that I can purchase? I want to rectify this issue before it gets any worse.

Clintlgm
07-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Sorry to here this, also sorry to tell you these ports are part of the motherboard and it sounds like if you still have warranty RMA it. If not it will probably be cost prohibited to have fixed. I have seen MB for sale on eBay, but that taking a very large expensive Risk.

Ichigo0Soul
07-17-2014, 12:28 AM
Are you sure it's part of the mobo? I saw this on ebay, which seems like it's actually its own part. I ordered it and it shipped already, so I'll see if I can install it when it gets here. I'll be updating the thread accordingly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-G75-G75V-G75VW-OEM-Dual-SATA-HDD-Hard-Drive-Connector-Board-13GNY810M17X-X-/181424323521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3dbb7bc1&nma=true&si=K0EOO6NXuXv%252FLl8wofZCA43%252F9aY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Ichigo0Soul
07-21-2014, 08:08 PM
I just replaced the hard drive controller. The computer is still not able to read my second hard drive. Not sure where to go from here.

Clintlgm
07-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Sorry your problem is beyond my expertise as it sounds like a hardware issue.

Ichigo0Soul
07-22-2014, 07:23 AM
After replacing the hard drive controller, the system ran like it normally does (minus a hard drive). I went out for a few hours and returned to find my laptop had powered itself off. I thought nothing of it, then I tried to power it on. I got the bios screen, but once it got past that it just gave me a blank black screen. The backlight was on, but there was no Windows logo or anything. I restarted it to check the bios settings and confirmed that my SSD appeared in the bios menu as the first bootable device (which it did) and hit save and restart. The same thing happened again. I then did a hard reset and the computer powered on, but this time without anything on the screen. It stayed black without a backlight, and the HDD light and keyboard backlight only stayed on for a couple of seconds before turning off. I opened the computer back up to verify that everything had been hooked up properly, and I didn't find any loose wires/connectors. I tried holding the power button down to do a power cycle, and that didn't do anything. I also tried hooking up to an external monitor and I got no signal on my display. I'm at a loss as to what to do and I'm fairly certain the computer isn't covered under warranty anymore as it is a year and a half old.

GottiBoi55
07-26-2014, 03:59 AM
Try running the BIOS factory reset

The BIOS factory reset is as follows.

1. Hold down Ctrl+Home
2. hit power button hold till system starts.
3. keep holding Ctrl+Home until you see "EZ-Flash" start.
4. Let EZ-Flash run. (don't touch anything just let it run, it will shut down automatically when finished running)

notes:
1. All lights should flash at first.
2. May take a few minutes, so keep holding ctrl+home+power (you"ll see lights come on, may see drive light flickering fast)
3. Then lights should go out then come back on, (if you still have black screen) at this point when re-flash starts. (you can release all buttons then)
4. Then wait till system powers off. (re-flash is finished at this point)
5. You can power on now. (and keep fingers crossed, and hope it worked)

Hopefully this will fix your issue, if you system is not totally "bricked".

PS: My guess, "Asus live update" flashed the BIOS to a updated BIOS version that failed to finish correctly.
I would uninstall the live update software to prevent this from happening again. (one of the first things I do)
Don't update BIOS pass v.210, many have bricked there NB on the newer BIOS versions.

Ichigo0Soul
12-10-2014, 07:57 AM
I know this post is somewhere around 3 months late, but I tried that and it didn't work. I've attempted everything I could think of and I think I've come to the conclusion that my BIOS got corrupted when I messed with the settings before restarting, which bricked the laptop. I'm going to order a new BIOS chip and replace it. Hopefully that'll work.