PDA

View Full Version : G73jh (best buy version) WoW lag spikes

cougar221
07-24-2011, 05:17 AM
7/23/11

First and foremost, yes i did read the other relatively new post about this and could not find the answer as there were only a couple of replies. So I'm asking this question for myself, not lag spikes while in town, but when im taking a bunch of damage all of a sudden in arena, or when a character comes out of stealth and attacks me i get the 1-5second lag spikes. I see this is sort of a common issue with these types of games(WoW). Some say a repaste is necessary, some say it's the HDD from best buy, and other reasons i forget. Any help would be appreciated i really need to fix this problem as it's just annoying while im playing the game. Thanks.

Some assumptions:
- If i needed a repaste wouldn't the lag spike last longer? I mean i find it hard to believe my graphics card gets to the 90C or w/e it is when it throttles down to cooldown and completes it in 3 seconds
- My graphics card runs WoW at like 60fps except for these lag spikes so I'm guessing it can handle the game and the graphics card not being good enough isn't the problem

THIS VIDEO WAS NOT MADE BY ME, NOR DO THE LINKS IN THE COMMENT WORK FOR ME. Use/try at your own risk. This is a video made by someone of the EXACT problem I'm getting in WoW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_C9IoMqihU
The comments say it's something on WoW's end of the spectrum, but i disregarded these as my friend was over my house playing in the same areas as me at the same time for over 8+ hours and never experienced the same lag spikes, or any lag spikes at all.

Temporary Fix:
Thanks to jabbapappa for giving the link to quietHDD. https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

We both completely disregarded any settings on this program. It seems all you have to do is start the program and the lag spikes just magically go away. I've done around 2-3hours of testing in places were the lag spikes occured the most (pvp areas and such) and haven't seen the problem anymore. I turned it off and in my first game of an arena got this 3 second lag spike. I can assume this is the temporary fix for me at least. Some more info on how this works, the exact problem, or a permanent fix are still appreciated. This seems to be a wide spread problem with HDD's as i've read it happening with pictures/music alot.

7/24/11

- Looked into ThrottleStop 3.00 and I'm running it during gaming/at start up. I still experience the stoppages randomly when a burst of graphics or a pop up happens. I just hit turn on and im guessing that's monitor mode.

- Idk if i'm looking at the right thing but my max temps on TS3.00 while playing my games are registering 67C-70C max, which doesn't seem that high at all but I dont think that's my graphics card and is the processer temp?

- Upgraded from 211 to the current 213 vbios and downloaded the newest audio/video drivers from the sticky. All installations went smooth but I am still experiencing this problem.

- Tried the regedit with ati recording the logs thing (dont know exactly what I was doing but i know i made it false). Still experiencing problems for the most part. If there's any way to delet this feature that'd be great since i'm not really using it.

- Ran furmark 1.9 and Hwinfo32, I'm getting numbers just a tad bit higher than the ones that chastity got. Don't think overheating is the problem here but it may be in the future if the trends hold true.

7/25/11

- Seems like the HDD is the culprit, I have tried 2 seperate programs that were supposed to put data on the HDD and take it off periodically so that it keeps spinning at a high speed. To no avail did these work.

- I did try to disable all the addons, I was still getting this lag spike sometimes which leads me to believe it is not because of out of date addons/addons in general. I really thought this was going to be it as my fps shot up when i disabled all of them.

- QuietHDD is the temporary fix as of now. I'll keep updating this post if I find anything else out. Im sure there's more than 2 people with this problem.

cougar221
07-24-2011, 06:05 AM
sorry edited first post with updates, hoping to solve this soon. Any input at all is appreciated :).

Chastity@ASUS
07-25-2011, 02:05 AM
Ahh yes, I remember people getting lag in WoW when it needs to access data from the HDD. What hdd models are installed in your system? (Give me the complete model numbers)

cougar221
07-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Ahh yes, I remember people getting lag in WoW when it needs to access data from the HDD. What hdd models are installed in your system? (Give me the complete model numbers)

My HDD model is "WDC WD6400BEVT-80A0RT0", i think that's the only model number as it lists only 1 HDD.

cougar221
07-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Yea i've been trying to figure this out but from what I understand, the HDD is revving up the rpm's when a popup/action happens that is bigger than normal. This makes for the 1-5second lag spike. So is there anyway I can fix this or should i just go shell out the money to get a new HDD that won't have this problem?

jabbapoppa
07-25-2011, 06:14 PM
I've had a similar issue with various games, running quietHDD fixed it:
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Apparently the issues something to do with the harddrive parking or something, beats me. I just know that running this program prior to playing any HD intensive games prevents the spiking as well as the regular clicking noise the harddrive tends to make.

cougar221
07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
I've had a similar issue with various games, running quietHDD fixed it:
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Apparently the issues something to do with the harddrive parking or something, beats me. I just know that running this program prior to playing any HD intensive games prevents the spiking as well as the regular clicking noise the harddrive tends to make.

Alright well i'm going to give this a try right now, i've been searching google for hours trying to find a fix to this. BTW, what settings are you changing, if any, within this program like the 2 disable things on the menu bar or anything?

Dragonix
07-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Lag spike problem might be related to HDD, but in this case I would say it's more likely addon / settings related. If it's HDD you would get big spikes while flying around on your mount, moving from one zone to another, but in your case you get lags when something happens - you see a lot of numbers. Outdated addons, or corrupted settings, or some conflict between addons might cause this.

If you are using any addons try to remove them, clear the content of WTF, Cache and Interface folders. You will loose all your ingame and addons settings so make a backup if you need them. If that doesn't help try to reinstall the game.

cougar221
07-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Lag spike problem might be related to HDD, but in this case I would say it's more likely addon / settings related. If it's HDD you would get big spikes while flying around on your mount, moving from one zone to another, but in your case you get lags when something happens - you see a lot of numbers. Outdated addons, or corrupted settings, or some conflict between addons might cause this.

If you are using any addons try to remove them, clear the content of WTF, Cache and Interface folders. You will loose all your ingame and addons settings so make a backup if you need them. If that doesn't help try to reinstall the game.

Ok im going to run some tests with disabling all addons and see if it happens. If that's the case I might try for a reinstall and then do some more. I'm really trying to find the root of this problem. But with that quietHDD program i did not have a lag spike while running 5-10 arena matches and 1-2bg's so that's a positive.

cougar221
07-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Just ran another 45min's of arena's with quietHDD up and there was no lag. I did try to disable addons/clear my folders and that alone didn't work. I'd like to know tho if this quietHDD program can harm my HDD on the default settings and if it's bad or not since i'm not really up to date with these things. Thanks for all the help guys.

jabbapoppa
07-25-2011, 11:30 PM
With the quiethdd program i haven't had to change any settings. I was kind of shocked, at least in my case, that the issue was so simply resolved; and consequently, that it was such a simple issue. That is to say, that the issue existed at all, that in a "gaming" laptop the harddrive would constantly be trying to park itself and thus cause stutters making gaming unplayable. It really doesn't seem to me that what I experienced was "isolated," there's a lot of discussion across the internet about laptop harddrive parking issues; why then isn't there more of a red flag in the support forum about the issue? Is it really the case that only some of the laptops asus produced are affected?

cougar221
07-26-2011, 02:04 AM
With the quiethdd program i haven't had to change any settings. I was kind of shocked, at least in my case, that the issue was so simply resolved; and consequently, that it was such a simple issue. That is to say, that the issue existed at all, that in a "gaming" laptop the harddrive would constantly be trying to park itself and thus cause stutters making gaming unplayable. It really doesn't seem to me that what I experienced was "isolated," there's a lot of discussion across the internet about laptop harddrive parking issues; why then isn't there more of a red flag in the support forum about the issue? Is it really the case that only some of the laptops asus produced are affected?

Yea i was thinking the same thing, my friend has an hp i5 processor with like less RAM/graphics capabilities and can run it fine. I bought this laptop to play games at a high level of fps and i should not be getting this lag.

I just have a few questions about this program because the HDD "parks" or is doing w/e for some odd reason and this program is changing that. Does anyone know if this is harmful for your HDD? In the information section of the download it does say dont put the settings lower than 128 cause it can harm ur HDD in the long run. Granted i haven't touched a thing but im just curious. Im going to use it sparingly at first until i get some better knowledge about how it works and wat EXACTLY is the problem with our "gaming" laptop's HDDS.

cougar221
07-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Well on thursday my friend is lending me his external HDD so I guess that's when we'll find out if it really is my HDD. If it is I think i'll look into replacing it so i don't run into more problems down the road. Thanks for all the help guys.

taz5603
12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I have this same problem found no fix besides running a program similar to hdd quiet. also have the best buy version which runs the western digital drive

dstrakele
12-15-2011, 12:03 AM
DPC Latency can cause lag in gaming and other operations (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card for more details). The stock Atheros driver that comes with ASUS systems having Atheros Wireless Network Adapters is notorious for causing latency. I recommend you install Atheros driver version 9.2.1.432 or later (most recent version is 4.2.1.470) if you have an Atheros WiFi card.

I also recommend running DPC Latency Checker since it is possible other drivers on your system may be causing latency.

Due the the ASUS BIOS, Sandy Bridge processors experience a throttling that is on the conservative side. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround and http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it&p=14470&viewfull=1#post14470 Add to dkillone's rep by clicking on the star on the lower left side of his post if the latter thread helps your gaming performance by reducing CPU throttling.

tkd_ron
12-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I have the g74sx(best buy) and I had this same problem not on all games but enough that it was driving me crazy tried everything clean install all new drivers..still lag spikes, then I happened on this thread and started using the quiet hd and lag is gone seems like everything just runs better ..thankfully .

_
12-15-2011, 10:35 AM
It should not harm your HDD as it just plays with the power management. You can also stop the HDD from turning off by going into Windows Power Management and disabling HDD spin-down, that might help too, but it'll also mean when you're not playing WoW it'll eat battery faster as the drive cannot sleep.