PDA

View Full Version : SSD installation and BIOS upgrade questions

LuissRicardo
03-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi,

I have some questions about BIOS and SSD:

It is really necesary to update the BIOS? If so, how do you recommend to do it, using winflash or some other way?
Can you tell me the steps to update it please? I consider it very risky and before doing it by myself I'd like some information.
My G75 came with a HDD, now I've bought a SSD, what do I have to do to make it the main disk (for OS) and use the HDD for only data?

The SSD I bought is an ADATA XPG SX900 256 GBs.

Thanks in advance.

mylaptopsupport
03-24-2013, 10:31 PM
What is SSD for? What's wrong with the HDD? Because HDD overheat the laptop? please give me some info

Tmjpwns
03-24-2013, 10:45 PM
He's probably swapping discs for performance reasons.

But yeah, use Winflash, find the appropriate ROM file at support.asus.com Winflash will tell you if it's the right file or not.

And for the windows part, you must have a recovery disc to install it to the new SSD, then you put in the old HDD and format it.

I just did all this to my G75, also wiped the preloaded Win8 recovery partition to get more storage.

gokica
03-25-2013, 12:25 AM
- Do not update bios if everything is working fine.
- Download a fresh Windows 8 (the version that came with the laptop - standard, pro or any other version that matches your laptop's Win8) and install that version on the SSD. If the version matches the one that you bought the laptop with the serial will be provided automatically. Make the SSD primary boot option and you are ready to go.

LuissRicardo
03-25-2013, 12:28 AM
What is SSD for? What's wrong with the HDD? Because HDD overheat the laptop? please give me some info

Thanks for your quick answer. There's nothing wrong with the HDD, I just want to improve the performance. I want to use the HDD to store data and the SSD for the OS.

He's probably swapping discs for performance reasons.

But yeah, use Winflash, find the appropriate ROM file at support.asus.com Winflash will tell you if it's the right file or not.

And for the windows part, you must have a recovery disc to install it to the new SSD, then you put in the old HDD and format it.

I just did all this to my G75, also wiped the preloaded Win8 recovery partition to get more storage.

Thanks for your quick answer. I'll install windows on the SSD the way you told me.

Is recommended/necessary to update the BIOS? Is it safer to do it in the BIOS itself?

LuissRicardo
03-25-2013, 12:33 AM
- Download a fresh Windows 8 (the version that came with the laptop - standard, pro or any other version that matches your laptop's Win8) and install that version on the SSD. If the version matches the one that you bought the laptop with the serial will be provided automatically. Make the SSD primary boot option and you are ready to go.

Ok, thanks for your quick answer. Then I won't touch the BIOS. My G75 came with windows 7, can I follow this tutorial http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?t=71 with the SDD?

Tmjpwns
03-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Only if you have issues with your current Bios Version.
I'm running the latest and there are no issues with it.
You can read on the web what the different Bios versions fix.

Pitcher@asus
03-25-2013, 03:14 AM
1. you can use ezflash at BIOS to flash BIOS if you want.
a. download from ASUS website
b. extract file and save to USB device for FAT32 format
c. insert to laptop and boot to BIOS
d. select start ezflash at advance
e. choose file locate and wait to flash complete
f. into BIOS and load default
2. you can use 3th part utility to ghose HDD, also you can take to asus service center to do, if you want to clean install, you can follow the thread to do.

LuissRicardo
03-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Thank you for your quick answer. My G75 came with windows 7, I'm already running windows 7 on it with the SSD. I've followed the instructions of berry racer's clean installation tutorial.

Only if you have issues with your current Bios Version.
I'm running the latest and there are no issues with it.
You can read on the web what the different Bios versions fix.

Thank yuo for your quick answer. At the moment I've no issues, so I'm not updating the BIOS.

1. you can use ezflash at BIOS to flash BIOS if you want.
a. download from ASUS website
b. extract file and save to USB device for FAT32 format
c. insert to laptop and boot to BIOS
d. select start ezflash at advance
e. choose file locate and wait to flash complete
f. into BIOS and load default
2. you can use 3th part utility to ghose HDD, also you can take to asus service center to do, if you want to clean install, you can follow the thread to do.

Thank you for your quick answer. I've followed berry racer's clean installation guide. Everything went fine. Just some weird thing with the left fan but now it's okey. Now I can see the diference between HDD and SSD, it turns on very fast. Thank you again for the instructions to update the BIOS with ezflash.