PDA

View Full Version : Does G55VW support Fast Boot and Secure Boot?

pixeldust
03-24-2013, 10:19 PM
I have purchased a new Asus G55VW-DH71 for my son and it takes about 20 seconds to boot up from power on to the Lock Screen. I noticed that in the BIOS the Boot Configuration is set to Launch CSM Enabled and Secure Boot is Disabled.

I myself have an Asus N56VZ-RH71 which takes about 11 seconds to boot from Power On to the Lock Screen and this notebook came with the Boot Configuration set as Fast Boot Enabled and Secure Boot Enabled.

Both machines are equipped with the i7 3630QM processor and came pre-installed with Windows 8.

Should the G55VW have come from the factory configured for Fast Boot and Secure Boot enabled? Is this machine capable of being configured for Fast Boot and Secure Boot enabled and if so would that result in a faster boot up time? :confused:

Thanks!

...Glenn :)

rewben
03-25-2013, 05:09 AM
uh? from what i've learned those were not the defaults. can you find the fast boot option in the bios?

Pitcher@asus
03-25-2013, 05:10 AM
i think g55 have support it.

srmojuze
03-25-2013, 05:20 AM
Yup I have Fast Boot in my G55 Bios.

pixeldust
03-25-2013, 01:59 PM
uh? from what i've learned those were not the defaults. can you find the fast boot option in the bios?

Rewben,

Are you saying that you think the G55 should have come from the factory with Fast Boot Enabled and Secure Boot Enabled like my N56VZ did? :confused:

rewben
03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Are you saying that you think the G55 should have come from the factory with Fast Boot Enabled and Secure Boot Enabled like my N56VZ did? :confused:

yes it should be like that, like your n56vz. from your description (you have secure boot and launch csm; that means you have stock w8), you should have fast boot option in your bios.

pixeldust
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
yes it should be like that, like your n56vz. from your description (you have secure boot and launch csm; that means you have stock w8), you should have fast boot option in your bios.

rewben,

The G55 has Launch CSM Enabled and Secure Boot is DISABLED.

I had the reseller I purchased the G55 from install an optional Blu Ray player before shipping it out. Maybe they disabled Fast Boot and Secure Boot? :confused:

So, I should be able to just Enable Fast Boot and Secure Boot then I presume?

Do you have Fast Boot enabled on your G55 and how many seconds does it take for you to get to the Lock Screen after first powering on? :confused:

Thanks for the responses... I am new to this type of UEFI / BIOS!

rewben
03-26-2013, 01:10 AM
@pixeldust, i think so. they have done the proper setup for you, so that you can boot other OS with the player.

if everything is in place, and you're running stock w8, you should be able to do that.

i have a g55 that came with stock w7, so i do not have such options. my boot time is under 10 secs until lock screen from cold boot.