PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74SX Laptop Newbie Questions

Forsthye
03-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Hi ROG, I have a few questions regarding my computer.

I started to realize that my computer has been heating up quite a bit. I was thinking about getting a cooling pad but realized thatthe vent comes from the back of the computer. I began using a box fan to ventilate the computer by having the air shoot out
and carry out the air. Unfortunately, I do not know much about computers and only received this computer being gifted to me.

Lastly, I had my hard drive removed because it was damaged. I began to recognize that some of the computer functions was
gone. Currently, I cannot turn on the touchpad nor turn it off. Is there any way I can retrieve the functions back?

Thanks

kkn
03-25-2013, 10:01 AM
post in the notebook section to get the help you need :)

Zygomorphic
03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
post in the notebook section to get the help you need :)

Moved.

@Forsythe, try downloading the ATK package from ASUS website and installing it.

How hot is your laptop running? It is a gaming machine, and if you are playing games, the temps can get pretty high. Try HWInfo64 to see what the actual temperatures are.

dstrakele
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
For the G74SX, you need to have BOTH the ASUS ATK Package and appropriate touchpad driver installed to enable/disable the touchpad with Fn+F9. Check Device Manager for your touchpad manufacturer. It is either Sentelic or Synaptics. If you have a Sentelic touchpad, I recommend the Sentelic version 9.1.7.7 driver for proper disable/enable functionality.

Try blowing out your fan intakes and exhausts to see if it helps to reduce operating temperatures. Consider this as a weekly maintenance routine. I recommend loading up HWINFO64 to monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures.

indianacarnie
03-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Don't forget the intakes, sorta up under the monitor/lid. Kinda hard to get to to clean, but they can clog up fast.