PDA

View Full Version : C'mon, cant update video driver on G73

admo
03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
A year ago, I managed to update the video driver on the G73 (ATI 5870). It involved flashing the VBIOS using the video tutorial of the Asus dude sitting at his cubical. SO, that was *supposed* to solve future updating as well. So as of this morning I had CCC version 12.4 which was a version from April 2012.

So attempt to update today to play Bioshock Infinite. BIG MISTAKE. Installation said successful, but was unable to load CCC, and windows reported that the driver was not working because of a bad certificate. Did a full uninstal and reinstal, but no difference. Used device manager to roll back the driver, bringing me back to a version from 2009.

So, using the installation tool from AMD won't work. Can't even open CCC. When I try, I get a message about how there are no settings I can change, so it refuses to open. Should I try flashing the VBIOS again like I did last year?

Pitcher@asus
03-27-2013, 05:32 AM
i think you arbitrarily change VBIOS, it will make problem in system, i suggest you go back to factor reset to try again.

admo
03-27-2013, 11:43 AM
i think you arbitrarily change VBIOS, it will make problem in system, i suggest you go back to factor reset to try again.

Thanks for the reply. I decided not to flash the vBIOS, because after checking, I have the current vBIOS (.93, I think) and BIOS (213).

So I uninstalled all video drivers and tried several more times of varying things, and somehow I managed to get back to the April 2012 driver which is version 8.961.0.0. Bioshock Infinite still warns me that I have an outdated driver, but seems to run well. CCC still won't even open though, as I keep getting an error message that the CCC Command Line Interface has stopped working.

MIke, I think the official Asus line is that they don't support any drivers other than the stock factory one from 2010, is that right? But do any users here have experience updating to the newest ATI driver, which I believe is from January this year?