PDA

View Full Version : Different versions of the same specs? (G46)

MarkLamp
03-27-2013, 02:27 AM
About a week ago I had purchased the Asus G46 from Bestbuy. Specs had

8 Gb RAM
750 GB HD
i5 Processor
2gb video memory GTX 660m

Now I had to replace the unit because of a driver issue that I could not resolve. It did not allow me to even boot the computer.
Replaced it today, got it back, had a little runaround from the best buy crew (used to work there, I knew people who did that too often) and it was a slightly "different" model. It had a different upc and such, but they were rushing me so I just said, oh i'll just
replace it if need be.

Well this one is slightly different...power adapter is definitly different. The old one was larger and hissed, this is still large but a lot more plain looking.

Also, when I go to check the video memory, it says 0 dedicated video memory. I know the 660m might split time with the integrated graphics but I did remember Crysis 3 and battlefield had not been using the card on my laptop from last week until I disabled the integrated one. Should I have to do that for this one?

As for different..I just hope it's not lower quality or older. I paid 949 for this model, same as the other one, but it definitly does seem a little different. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am quite a noob at this stuff, and very new to gaming laptops.

JwPwns
03-27-2013, 02:41 AM
it's the same thing, they ship with 2 different types of chargers, one is like a brick and the other one is a brick with round edges lol i want the round edge one they are the new model of adapter, anyways no difference other than u might have the newer i5 processor and faster hdd. I heard they finally put in 7200rpm in that since last week, so u might've gotten the better deal

MarkLamp
03-27-2013, 04:11 AM
I'll see if I can get a picture up here. But that's good to know that it is not an overly bad thing. My power adapter does not have a green/red (whatever it was) light on it like the old one did.

MarkLamp
03-27-2013, 04:17 AM
Looking at the two comparable models on Bestbuy.com, it looks like I have the "newer" computer. I have the i5-3230 compared to the other model which has a i5-3210. Really good news I guess? Ha.

Zygomorphic
03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
I'll see if I can get a picture up here. But that's good to know that it is not an overly bad thing. My power adapter does not have a green/red (whatever it was) light on it like the old one did.

I wouldn't worry about it. ASUS makes so many variations of their ROG computers that it boggles the mind. When I was going to buy my G53SX, there were four models sold at four vendors with virtually identical specs. lol :p

cl-Albert
03-27-2013, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. ASUS makes so many variations of their ROG computers that it boggles the mind. When I was going to buy my G53SX, there were four models sold at four vendors with virtually identical specs. lol :p

fyi.
It may be done slightly differently in other regions, but for U.S. and Canadian notebook models, check for the serial number label under the notebook and the full notebook model like G46VW-BSI5N06, G46VW-BHI5N43, or others should be printed.
It's important to specify the full notebook model when you buy so you are getting exactly what you wanted and expected :).

JwPwns
03-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Looking at the two comparable models on Bestbuy.com, it looks like I have the "newer" computer. I have the i5-3230 compared to the other model which has a i5-3210. Really good news I guess? Ha.

yeah like i said, you could've been lucky enough and got the 7200rpm too lol check!! anyways have fun with ur G46