PDA

View Full Version : G51J Artifacts on screen during boot up, HELP!

mesoslo
03-29-2013, 08:05 AM
My G51J boots up, with the republic of gamers logo, makes the explosion sound, but the screen is messed up, there are artifacts and lines running all accross the screen.

Is my graphics card too hot? should I just leave my laptop off for a couple of hours and let it cool down? Or Iam I going to have to buy a new laptop because the graphics card is toast?

thanks a lot

Pitcher@asus
03-29-2013, 08:25 AM
i suggest you send back to RMA, because it have explosion sound, exaggerate.

mesoslo
03-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I let it cool down for a couple of hours try to boot it up, same problem, republic of gamers logo pops up, makes explosion sound, lines all over the screen, loads up windows but then I get blue screen and crashes.

If I do a RMA, would I loose a lot of files on my hard drive? will my hard drive get wiped or will I get another G51J?

mesoslo
03-29-2013, 10:30 AM
the shipping cost for RMA and out of warranty service on this laptop will cost more than buying a new low end laptop. I am just gonna buy a new laptop.

would I be able to extract the files from my laptops hardrive into another hardrive?

grungeboy2
03-29-2013, 01:08 PM
be sure to keep your new laptop free of dust and dirt. that is most likely what killed your G51j. you should be able to pull files off the hard drive, no problem. but, you'll need to have a computer to hook it up to and retrieve them.

what are you considering doing with your old laptop?

mesoslo
03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I dont know what else I could do with this laptop, I wished it was the screen that was broke and not the GPU cause then I could just turn it into a desktop.

I could just take the hard rive out and buy an inclosure for it and have an extra hard drive.

What else could you I do with a dead laptop?

grungeboy2
03-29-2013, 10:37 PM
put a different video card in it.

i was interested as i have a G51vx that's in great shape. i could potentially use the board, ram, and maybe the LCD panel. also i'm on the lookout for the sound board that the headphones plug into as mine has a bad pin and is always stuck in headphone mode.

mesoslo
03-30-2013, 12:01 AM
I got my G51J to work normally again, well sort of, If I boot the laptop up by pressing on the power button, after it has been off for a period of
time, I will get artifacts and line on screen, so then I hold down the power button to shut it off, then press the power button again and it will boot up without artifacts on screen. If I go into safe mode, windows 7 loads, and then I choose to restart windows, it boots up fine without artifacts on screen and loads windows.

grungeboy2
03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
try reinstalling your video driver

sounds like the card has gotten too hot and partially fried out.

mesoslo
03-30-2013, 01:45 AM
after updating the drivers, things seems to be working fine now. I hope things are fine cause I dont want to pay $200 for service and repair.

mesoslo
03-31-2013, 12:09 AM
sometime it boots up with artifacts sometimes it doesnt. When i does boot up with artifacts windows tries to load but doesnt load properly, and I have to turn off the computer by holding down the power button. my graphics driver is up to date. I have tried system startup repair but windows 7 cant repair it.

Is it possible that I have a virus?

Jporter396
03-31-2013, 02:30 AM
copy all your files to somewhere else and reinstall windows while formatting your hdd

mesoslo
03-31-2013, 03:21 AM
I guess I could try that, but I am pretty sure its not a software problem because as soon as the ROG logo comes on, the LCD screen is already distorted with lines and artifacts.
Iam reluctant to re-install windows because Iam concerned that half way through the install, if I have to restart my laptop an the screen gets all distorted, I wouldnt be able to complete the windows installation.

I got a quote from Asus and it will take $149 to repair, and replacement motherboard.

mesoslo
04-04-2013, 07:44 AM
I recently opened up my G51J, cleaned out the fan with a vacuum blowing air into it, and I notice that on the back panel that I removed from my laptop, there is a lot of dust around a certain area, and that area just so happens to sit directly on top of the fan, so I cleaned it off and the G51J seems to boot up fine now, Iam hoping my problem has been solved.