PDA

View Full Version : Thermal paste

ushhh
03-31-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi all I'm going to repaste my CPU and GPu and wondering which thermal paste do you guys think is better arctic cooling mx-4 or arctic silver 5 thanks

bignazpwns
03-31-2013, 02:33 AM
Hi all I'm going to repaste my CPU and GPu and wondering which thermal paste do you guys think is better arctic cooling mx-4 or arctic silver 5 thanks

Its all pretty much the same. At most your talking around a 1-2c diff is most cases non at all.

I always used AS5 and i always will.

UnAimed
03-31-2013, 04:38 AM
There's lots of thermal pastes better than AS 5. AS 5 is relatively old and outdated, but still gets nice temp drops and I have only had positive experiences with it.

Noctua and MX-4 are my favorites. IC Diamond is one of the best, but it can be quite difficult to apply. Also remember that AS 5 is electrically conducive and requires a curing period unlike MX 4. It won't really matter all that much what you choose though. Just make sure that if you go for AS 5 to not get any of it on the pcb or anywhere other than the heat spreader or you may end up shorting the laptop which I have read happening to some people over the years.

Hope that helps

bignazpwns
03-31-2013, 05:37 AM
There's lots of thermal pastes better than AS 5. AS 5 is relatively old and outdated, but still gets nice temp drops and I have only had positive experiences with it.

Noctua and MX-4 are my favorites. IC Diamond is one of the best, but it can be quite difficult to apply. Also remember that AS 5 is electrically conducive and requires a curing period unlike MX 4. It won't really matter all that much what you choose though. Just make sure that if you go for AS 5 to not get any of it on the pcb or anywhere other than the heat spreader or you may end up shorting the laptop which I have read happening to some people over the years.

Hope that helps

Better? Its all whiten a few c of each other.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

As you can see AS5 is old but still one of the best.

Vicodin
03-31-2013, 06:49 AM
AS5 had the idle temp on my GPU at 33c in an Asus G55. 70c after 15 min furmark. New to me is not always better than old. I can trust the "old stuff".

ushhh
03-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Cool thanks for the help think I'm going to go with as5

UnAimed
03-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Better? Its all whiten a few c of each other.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

As you can see AS5 is old but still one of the best.

Yup I'm aware of that. It depends on what chart/website you look. Some put AS5 above and others MX4 or Icy diamond. AS5 has never let me down but all the reasons mentioned above I prefer MX4.

To Ushhh- Remember that the application method is just as important or perhaps even more important than the thermal paste brand.

ushhh
03-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Looking at there website I have to put a vertical line across the CPU and for the GPu should I put a pea size ball in the middle of the chip thanks

bignazpwns
03-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Looking at there website I have to put a vertical line across the CPU and for the GPu should I put a pea size ball in the middle of the chip thanks

Thats if the chip has a ihs. On mobile chips you will need to do it this way.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/ss/intel_app_method_surface_spread_v1.1.pdf

ushhh
04-01-2013, 01:16 AM
i have a intel 3820qm installed so i think mine looks like this 19084

bignazpwns
04-01-2013, 01:28 AM
i have a intel 3820qm installed so i think mine looks like this 19084

Thats its same idea since the cpu has no ihs like a desktop version.

ushhh
04-01-2013, 07:36 AM
thanks ill be giving it a go tomorrow when my thermal paste arrives

bignazpwns
04-01-2013, 06:36 PM
thanks ill be giving it a go tomorrow when my thermal paste arrives

Remember AS5 is conductive so careful with it. Don't get it all over just on the core.

ManOfBusiness
04-01-2013, 06:43 PM
I killed my HP DV-7 with artic silver 5, too much paste, not enough cure time. be careful.

ushhh
04-01-2013, 09:58 PM
How do I cure it

bignazpwns
04-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Again more bad info in this section.

Cure time will only give you slightly higher temps until it cures aka complete its thermal cycles. Over the course of a week since i repasted this VX i only seen a 2c drop since i applyed it. Note that just switching i seen a 10c drop right there.

Just fallow the guide. The ivy bridges you dont need to worry about to much in terms of getting it all over but this is what i do.

Put some on the middle of the core. Then i put my finger in a plastic bag get it night and tight and i dab the paste around the core till it is all covered. You want a even covering not to thick like in the pics shown on the website. Remember this is just to fill the small gaps in the surface of the metal not a interface between the heatsink and cpu.

Also dont bent your pins on your cpu. I always leave mine in the mobo when i do it. Just make sure you dont get any AS5 on your fingers and touch stuff since it is conductive. Thats the main issue i seen with people who should not be inside a pc for the fact they dont know what they are doing at all and burn out a cpu because they get it all over their fingers touch pins bridge connections and just dont take the time to clean or look for stuff. Sloppy job gets sloppy results.

If you want i can make you a vid of applying it on a cpu core. I mean its easy and you wont run into any problems but if i'll do it if you want.

ManOfBusiness
04-02-2013, 12:30 AM
You have to be sparing, as the paste cures it expands, that's where you run into problems.

bignazpwns
04-02-2013, 03:09 AM
You have to be sparing, as the paste cures it expands, that's where you run into problems.

Wow just stop posting.

The paste does not expand. Heck it don't even really dry out like other paste.

ushhh ignore what he says. I gave you the links direct from the manufacture. If you are still offy about putting it on i can make you a video showing you the process. And i never had any problems and i have been useing AS5 since the old AMD FX60 days and used it on everything from stock cooling all the way upto a water chiller build. However i will say when i bench with LN2 i use another paste since those temps are way way way bellow zero. But if you want i'll make you a nice clear and detailed video. I dont see you running into any problems.

ushhh
04-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Thanks for all the help bignazpwns I wouldn't mind a video it would give me piece of mind that I'm doing it right thanks again

ManOfBusiness
04-03-2013, 02:16 AM
I'll stop posting for you :p Maybe I should link pictures to my tear down. *Shrugs

Everyone who builds a decent PC knows arctic silver expands while curing,

Why are you so angry bignazpwns? are your nice guy partitions malfunctioning?

mrc00l88
04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
hey ushhh - did you install the 3820qm yourself? Was it difficult?

ushhh
04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Na I picked my laptop up with it already installed if u plan on doing it your self there is a lot of screws that have to come out to get to it but there is some good videos and articles on the net showing how to disassemble the unit that helped me strip it down