PDA

View Full Version : G46VW Upgrades

SlyBlueFox
04-01-2013, 01:58 PM
I currently have the stock G46VW with the i5, 5400rpm HDD, & 8gb RAM from Best Buy.

I am thinking of possible upgrades for my laptop & would like some feedback on importance of the upgrades. Here are some upgrades I am thinking about eventually doing.

-mSATA SSD
-i7 processor
-16gb RAM
-1080p screen

What order should I perform these in? What is the most important in your opinion?

Also, for the screen upgrade, I found a possible match: https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/G46VW/ but it says 40pin connector; I believe my current is a 30pin & am wondering if it's just a matter of getting a 40pin male to 30pin female converter?

Thanks in advance!!

Pitcher@asus
04-02-2013, 02:41 AM
asus do not agree change device without HDD, Memory. it void warranty. also can not guaranty it is able to use.

SlyBlueFox
04-02-2013, 03:57 AM
asus do not agree change device without HDD, Memory. it void warranty. also can not guaranty it is able to use.

Not quite sure what you're trying to say but I may need to clarify that I would be adding a mSATA hdd in addition to the original hdd.
Also, I understand the warranty issues. I am just looking for some feedback.

Nivaku
04-02-2013, 06:29 AM
I honestly dont know about the 1080p screen, but I do have the i7 on mine and I think it's great. Instead of the mSATA i'd recommend just getting a 256GB 840 Pro from Samsung, they were on sale for $200 which is a great deal. 8GB is RAM imo is good enough, unless you run heavy applications. Oh yeah for the screen I know you can do 900p, Hidevolution will have the 900p april 10th according to their website. I'm sure they can do the upgrades that you want without voiding the warrenty from my understanding. Personally, I'm going to give my laptop to my little brother as a graduation present and buy an upgraded version (Assuming Asus is doing a revison 2) with haswell and the 700m GPUs that nvidia just released news about here's a link just in case someone is curious about them http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-new-geforce-700m-series-gpus

Please someone chime in and correct me on the warranty information. Anyways here's my .10 cents my .02 cents is free

httuner
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Maybe you can get some sort of adapter for the screen? That's even if they make one?

I would suggest doing the mSata SSD upgrade first, would be the best performance upgrade there, use the mSata for your OS/Boot drive and run the HDD for extra storage space.

Zygomorphic
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
I assume ASUS would support it, but I'm pretty certain that HIDEvolution will honor the warranty if ASUS doesn't. As long as HIDEvolution is an approved partner, ASUS will honor the warranty from what I understand (don't quote me on it).