PDA

View Full Version : repasting gpu

ushhh
04-03-2013, 01:46 AM
hi all im in the middle of repasting my cpu and gpu ans was wondering if its ok to use arctic silver 5 on these chips with the blue paste on them im not sure what i have to put on them thanks

Pitcher@asus
04-03-2013, 02:57 AM
i think it can be using.

ZeroBarrier
04-03-2013, 03:21 AM
Absolutely not. Those are the GDDR5 chips and the IC's. You can't use a conductive TIM like AS5 on those unless you want to short your card and throw it in the garbage. You must use thermal pads on those.

ushhh
04-03-2013, 03:33 AM
How come they didn't have thermal pads on them already

UnAimed
04-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Yes you need to get some good quality thermal pads. They did come on there but they are just compressed and squashed.

ZeroBarrier
04-03-2013, 10:01 AM

That blue stuff in your pics; well, those used to be thermal pads.

ushhh
04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I think I'm lucky I did it then

pathfindercod
04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I would undo it while its still working.

bignazpwns
04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Absolutely not. Those are the GDDR5 chips and the IC's. You can't use a conductive TIM like AS5 on those unless you want to short your card and throw it in the garbage. You must use thermal pads on those.

You can use AS5 on ic's with no problem.

Also those are not thermal pads. They never were and never have been thermal pads its just a thick thermal paste.

You will want to replace that blue goop with some thermal pads. frozen cpu has them just take a note of how much of a gap theire is between the ic and heatsink. They come in .5 1.0 and 1.5mm. Thick thick will keep you from getting the heatsink fully seated on the core. To think will not make contact on the hetsink and ic's.

You can use any thick NON CONDUCTIVE tim. like ceramice and just pile it on lik the stock job thats fine and better but dont pile on as5. If you get it under the ic "BGA balls" and they short out it can cause damage and prove to be very hard to clean. If you can make contact without a thermal pad then you just treat the ic's like the cpu core. Just a light think even coat on them i been useing it on every gpu i have had with my water blocks. But as with every use of AS5 you just dont get crazy and use it right.

UnAimed
04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Also those are not thermal pads. They never were and never have been thermal pads its just a thick thermal paste.

Those are soft silicone thermal pads not thermal paste.

http://www.chipsetsupplier.com/upImg/cImg/20121017134741776675.JPG

ZeroBarrier
04-03-2013, 11:21 PM

You're totally right, they are not thermal pads; they used to be thermal pads as I previously stated. For the memory chips and IC's there has to be pads in place since there is a gap between them and the heatsink. It doesn't matter how thick you can find a thermal paste, it will never work for that gap, ever.

Those are soft silicone thermal pads not thermal paste.

http://www.chipsetsupplier.com/upImg/cImg/20121017134741776675.JPG

Thank you.

ushhh
04-04-2013, 04:02 AM
I'm putting thermal pads on there does it matter what w/mk rating I put on there

Sagi
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
bignazpwns

You're causing more harm then you're doing good, with all your postulating comments!

Stop advising people about things you don't know zip about :rolleyes:

I'm surprised no one has banned you yet - Kind of wish they would.

httuner
04-05-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm putting thermal pads on there does it matter what w/mk rating I put on there

Yes you must use only thermal pads, Now I know there are certain different thickness of thermal pads, so make sure you get the correct thickness otherwise you'll have poor contact/pressure on the chips and it'll be less effective in transferring heat to the heatsink.

FrozenCPU sells really good thermal pads: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g8/c487/list/p1/Thermal-Thermal_Pads_Tape.html
The Fujipoly pads are really nice and probably the best out there, but you really don't need something that great(probably won't make much of a difference but hey we all want the best haha, its quite pricey though)

Buy a sheet and cut them to work/fit, its strange that your original Thermal pads actually melted and turned to goop(thats really rare and I haven't seen that before)_

UnAimed
04-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Just like with thermal paste the better conductivity the greater the heat dissipation. So the higher the W/mk rating the better. Like the post above me mentioned. FrozenCPU sells great thermal pads.

GottiBoi55
04-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Check out this thread>>>>>Anyone re-paste their CPU/GPU on Asus G55vw?
(http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30094-Anyone-re-paste-their-CPU-GPU-on-Asus-G55vw)

Stock thermal paste is fine. All thermal paste is about 1-3c whiten each other. The big diff. is in applying it. And sadly the forced laber in China where they make the systems just cant seem to get the concept of applying thermal paste. Or if they do Foxconn gets them lol.

CPU And gpu use thermal paste. The memory uses thermal pads. You can not replace the thermal pades with thermal paste they are there to fill a gap.

I repaste all my systems with good old trusted AS5. Some i seen typical results and i did some for people that had the worst paste jobs i ever seen and seen some 10c drops.