PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX and repair(screen prob)

dashdot
07-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi guys im new to the forums.
ok, so this is my concern.

I bought a G74SX, which had a faulty screen I guess. Cause a large pink line covered the whole screen. So had to RMA it. and now the laptop is back, was super fast support and all.

the laptop got back in one week or so.

HOWEVER, my first reaction was like Hmm, was the screen this dark when it was new?
I dont think so? oh well. Might be just in my head.

But now when im playing BF BC2 I always think off how damn dark the screen is. I mean,
In dark places inside houses and so on I cant see ****, the screen goes very dark
so its terrible hard to see any enemies inside houses and so on.
Which is rather frustrating sinice it's a "gaming laptop"

When I had my old screen I never had this problems, never had these thought either.
So I mean, the new screen must have bad contrast or something.

WUT THE FUZ IS GOIN ON?
And something tells me that calling them wont help.

Also, Im quite sure that this doesnt have anything to do with software's
I wont DL any program that turns the brightness up.

I buyed this laptop to game on it. but It doesnt feel like a gaming machine any more.
Maybe for SIMS or something

Best regards
Dissapointed ASUS-user from Sweden.

Edit: It's annoying if they have swapped my screen for something that is cheaper/not that good like the orginal
and if it is like that It makes me wonder if it's worth buying a asus next time.

dashdot
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Any thoughts? going to do some research, so will find out soon hopefully.

xeromist
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I believe that you should have function keys that adjust the brightness. If you have tried those and it doesn't get bright enough you may want to reinstall the ATK package from the ASUS website as sometimes the interface to the hardware seems to get out of synch or something.

waiyaki
07-27-2011, 11:33 PM
I had the "lines" problem with my first G73Sw when the GPU started to get faulty.

But anyway, other than the hotkeys you may want to open the Nvidia Control Panel and try to see if you can change the things like colour balance, Gamma and brightness to see if that helps.
"right click on desktop"

dashdot
07-28-2011, 08:05 AM
the screen is set to maximum brightness, and I didnt have to configure something last time.
Will reinstall w7 and ATK and see if something happends.

xeromist
07-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Let us know how it goes. BTW, one of the symptoms of a bad ATK install is that the brightness range is reduced. It will get to a medium brightness and cycle back to the lowest setting, making it seem like that is the brightest it will go. Hopefully this will work for you.

dashdot
07-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Let us know how it goes. BTW, one of the symptoms of a bad ATK install is that the brightness range is reduced. It will get to a medium brightness and cycle back to the lowest setting, making it seem like that is the brightest it will go. Hopefully this will work for you.

Ah yeah, it actually worked.
Did W7 reinstall and newest ATK.

Now the normal brightness is back. puuh.
Was really hard to play when it was that dark ^^

xeromist
07-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Glad it worked :)

Razputin
08-02-2011, 08:43 PM
So I'm buying the bestbuy edition, and according to the specs compared to the asus version with steroscopic 3d capabilities, all I need to buy is the blue-ray/ dvd combo drive, and the 17.3" screen compatable with 3d.

Where could I buy this screen?

Would I need to update any drivers?

- If you can please help it will be much appreciated, and my friend Ryan said he will also buy one if I can do this because I referred him the laptop and he LOVES it :cool: