PDA

View Full Version : Signal is good but speed is abysmal(g46)

Jinh0o
04-09-2013, 10:03 AM
My wireless connection is general is very high speed @ around 20mb down speed even when there's several electronics connected to it.

With the G46VW (broadcom wireless), the speed starts dropping from 130mbps and never recovers. I've seen it drop to 39 at its lowest point. When I'm downloading a game via steam, all other internet utilizing apps comes to a stop as it takes forever to download. I know this isn't my internet as my previous g73 worked perfectly.

I'm starting to think this is an issue with drivers or maybe even the card itself and was thinking of switching it to centrino 2230. thoughts? Now the speed on wi-fi status has come down to 13.mbps.. IT IS NOT NORMAL. I've been having a number of issues perhaps i need to return it

Pitcher@asus
04-10-2013, 02:41 AM
what is your WLAN driver version? could you set other wifi channel to test?

gypsymoth
04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Are you on Windows 8? And what do you mean by switching to Centrino 2230? I thought the Centrino 2230 is the default card in the G46VW.

Jinh0o
04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Are you on Windows 8? And what do you mean by switching to Centrino 2230? I thought the Centrino 2230 is the default card in the G46VW.
this is what i thought too but mine came with a broadcom! im so mad. i bought the centrino and wonder how i can connect the wires to the pci card.

somber
04-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Same problem here. Seems like a driver issue to me.. I'm using Win7 with the Asus PCE-AC66 802.11ac driver for Win7 x64. No issues during installation of the driver.. Tested this on Linux as well, though, in live usb mode with ndiswrapper; got the connectivity but didn't test the speed.. The issue on Win7 looks persistent; if the driver is reinstalled no issues with the speed, reboot - and the issues are back..
Would be great if someone could share at least some thoughts or a solution..
Thanks.

gypsymoth
04-23-2013, 09:02 PM
If you are talking about the Intel card on Linux . . . there is a bug with the driver. All you have to do is disable and re-enable the driver every time it starts up. I don't know if it applies to the Broadcom card. This thread details it:

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/DisplayComments.php?file=Computer/Linux/Asus_G46VW_with_Slow_WiFi_Connection

somber
04-23-2013, 09:57 PM
If you are talking about the Intel card on Linux . . . there is a bug with the driver. All you have to do is disable and re-enable the driver every time it starts up. I don't know if it applies to the Broadcom card. This thread details it:

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/DisplayComments.php?file=Computer/Linux/Asus_G46VW_with_Slow_WiFi_Connection
Yep.. I've seen the thread.. And I have issues with Windows 7.. But this may apply to the Broadcom driver as well...will test this on Linux during the weekend, to see if the behavior will be the same as with Win7. Wondering if it is possible to apply a similar hack to windows. ))