PDA

View Full Version : G73JW with Intel 633n wifi -- weak connection all of a sudden

johngloid
04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi there,

Like a lot of G73 owners, I installed this guy using the Intel 6300 drivers about a week ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Ultimate-633ANHMW-802-11n-Adapter/dp/B0038A9HSK

The performance was great right off the bat -- I was peaking my internet at 50 mb/s instead of the default card's 20 mb/s.

But today things seem to have slowed down on the new card. I have a macbook that is wireless n compatible, and from the same location gets 50 mb/s without a problem. So I'm thinking it's on the PC itself. I've reinstalled the drivers but no luck.

Anyone else run into this issue or know of any possible fixes?

Thanks!
John

Pitcher@asus
04-11-2013, 02:12 AM
if you change wifi channel or make sample environment to test.

johngloid
04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
So for some unknown reason it's back to 50 mb/s.

I did try adjusting the channel on the router yesterday, but it didn't help. Since the Mac works 100% of the time I can only think it's some kind of software/hardware configuration on the G73. I might just do a test format from scratch to see if that works (and restore to backup if it doesn't).

johngloid
05-08-2013, 03:16 AM
So in case anyone stumbles upon this thread, I think I solved it *knock on wood*

I had to find a way to always force or prefer using the 5GHz network. I changed the N6300 to prefer the 5GHz network in it's device settings. In my Airport Extreme's settings I checked on "use 5GHz network name". I'm connecting to that 5GHz network now and it's all good.

I guess between the card and the router, it kept switching things up on me and never really committing to the 5GHz network. It would switch on sometimes but then crap out 5 minutes later. This would explain the Macbook working -- it's probably setup to work with the Airport Extreme's wireless N out of the box (Apple testing with Apple, etc.)