PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G73JW - Stutterlags etc - help!

korre
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi guys!
I'm a proud owner of this beast.

Just recently It started "Laggin" now and then. Small 1-2 second invervals that just completely freeze the computer down. It happens as I write this topic aswell.

I don't know what the issue is. I re-formated the computer 2 times. One time with the recovery disks that came with the computer. The third time I started uninstalling some software to try and find the problem. Thought it might be a driver issue but didn't locate the faulty ones. I don't think it's a hardware issue seeing everything works just fine. Ran a memtest and had no errors at all.

Defraged my HDD aswell and nothing wrong there either.

When I play, these lags just fukk me up bigtime. And it's really reaaaaaaally bad when watching a movie. You can hear the voice, but the picture lags, and then to "keep up" with the sound. Then the video renders superfast to keep up with the sound, til they finally sync up. What's the damn issue? I'm freaking out and it's so annoying. I've spent 3 nights w/o sleep to fix this issue.

I'm in dire need of help

Got the i5 with 460 gfx, 4gb ram at 1333 ( according to the webshop I bought it from, ubt they are running at 1066..?)
NO SSD drive

help guys I'm freaking out!

EDITED:

What I have done in attempt to solve this

- Recovered with the CD's
- Clean format with a bootlegged copy of w7 ultimate, installed only SP1 disabled win-update
- Flashed from BIOS v 203 to 205
- Tried new VGA drivers
- Installed new Redist's / direct x
- Formated once more. This time I didn't even install SP1, Issue was still there.

What I havent tried yet

Cleaned out the air vents (no clue of how to do that)
? <out of ideas>

So clearly I would appreciate all feedback possibly given for me to fix this issue!

Regards!

korre
07-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Heres a video link of how it looks like when I get these fukken lags :)

http://www.fileplay.net/file/14055/img-0781

xeromist
07-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I would recommend checking Chastity's sticky threads in this forum. She has added some information on updating hard drive firmware which could cause that. Also the routine stuff like cleaning air vents and I would double check the power saving settings to make sure it is set for performance.

korre
07-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi man, Yes I THINK I installed the new firmware, they were on an USB drive and I booted up with them. Don't know if I installed though. How do I know if Iinstalled them. Need to remind u, i'm bad at this :)

xeromist
07-29-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm about to run out the door but hopefully Chastity can answer this for you. I just don't think I could do it justice at the moment. If you haven't had a reply by the end of the weekend send a PM to the both of us.

Chastity@ASUS
07-30-2011, 11:38 PM
What model numbers are the HDDs? You can also try uninstalling Silverlight.

korre
07-31-2011, 12:06 AM
What model numbers are the HDDs? You can also try uninstalling Silverlight.

I can't find silverlight anywhere in my programs. And the HDD is a ST95005620AS according to the device manager. Am I missing something?

korre
07-31-2011, 04:09 PM
I have fixed the issue with the stutterlags! You posted a reply on my previous thread about the memory. And It was the BIOS version that caused the issue. But my memory speed seems to be the same. I don't know maybe i'm slow and under privilegied in my brain. But the webshop claimed to have memories at 1333mhz speed, mine are running at 1066. Anyone know the issue to that?

korre
07-31-2011, 04:31 PM
well looky looky, I lied to myself. NO I havent fixed the damn stutter lags..bleh.. Now I have no ace under my sleeve. Any suggestions of how to solve this?

korre
08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Heya there, feeling like i'm being a pain in the **** and I am sorry if that's the case.

I've been trying for a week now to fix this issue of my stutterlags, and I still havent found what's causing it.

How to explain the proper stutters for example

Streaming movies: Sound's perfect, picture is falling behind, til they finally sync up and the picture speeds up til they meet at perfect syncronization.

Gaming: Random 1-2 second "freeze" and during that "freeze" I get a disconnect marker. Extremely annoying and it's unplayable in this state.

When I was investigating I found another issue, my ram is lowered to 1066 speed instead of 1333 speed. Or maybe they are 1066 at the beginning. I don't know. According to the specs it's at 1333mhz.

What i've done to try and fix this issue

- Installed with my recovery disks , Didn't solve the issue
- Tried different VGA drivers, Didn't solve the issue
- Formated clean with a bootlegged W7 ultimate disc with windows update active, Didn't work
- Formated clean -"- w/o windows update active, installed SP1 , didn't work
- Upgraded BIOS from 203 to 205 , Didn't work
- Uninstalled bloatware one-by-one to find if that's the issue.
- Reinstalled /removed all redist 1by1 -> (Don't have silverlight installed, even tried to install it to check if that was the issue)

What I Haven't tried!
Cleaning air vents, as I have no clue of how to do that... (insert retarded face here)

So I am in dire need of help guys, i'd appreciate all feedback as of how to solve this issue. Much much much appreciated!

Regards, Korre

xeromist
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Seagate has a firmware update available for your drive. If your drive has not received this update it has been known to cause problems like you experience.
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=215451

Chastity maintains a list of firmware & driver updates (including the one above) so you may want to bookmark this:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

Also, I'm not sure why you started another thread since this one has your history. I'm merging them so that anyone trying to help you can see the troubleshooting history. Trust me, you'll be able to get the best help that way. :)

korre
08-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi mate thanks for the uberfast reply! How do I update firmwire? In the threadw where chastity posts several updates it says something about a bootable flashdrive (such as an usb) but I cant make that work. Either It's not bootable, or I am doing something really wrong :)

Edit: In frustration I tend to speak before I try. I found it out and new firmware is now installed.

I will check if my stutters still occur.

Sidenote: Any clue about my memory speed being downgraded from 1333mhz to 1066mhz? Feedback on that would be appreciated

Regards

xeromist
08-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Hrmmm, I thought about your memory question and nothing came to mind. Since I don't have a laptop like this I would take a look in the BIOS to see if there are any memory settings you can change. Make sure to note the original values before you change anything in case it doesn't work. Alternately you should be able to reset to defaults from within the BIOS and usually that sets everything optimally. In order to enter the BIOS you press the delete or F1 keys (Depending on the laptop it will say which on the screen) just after turning it on.

korre
08-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi, Yes I have entered BIOS, but it seems impossible to find out how to enter the advanced features whilst inside. Because u cant change anything simply pressing the F2 key and go from there. Any clue of how to enter the advanced BIOS features?

xeromist
08-01-2011, 06:21 PM
No clue. :( I've never even laid hands on one of these so I'm afraid my information is rather spotty. Hopefully another owner can chime in.

korre
08-01-2011, 08:18 PM
the new firmware made it a BIT more stable with the random stutter lags, but it's still there. So it's still there ;/

xeromist
08-01-2011, 11:15 PM
This could be caused by so many different things. Have you looked in the process monitor (ctrl+alt+del) to see if anything is spiking CPU usage? Also I would check the windows event log to see if any errors show up there. I know this hits your games too, but what video player are you using?

korre
08-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm using KMplayer for the moment, I've tried VLC Aswell (but I reckon that player is so **** so I stopped using it)
In my Eventlog I see "SideBySide" with as many errors as it can get. Also Yes I am getting spiking on CPU usage, I didn't need to get into ctrl+alt+del to notice it, watched that micro window at the desktop and the readings go as high as 2.9ghz when idling.

I am not a chappy guy when it comes to this Windows event log, I'm entering "errors" and there I get displayed several names that has caused errors. I think I'm reading from the right tab right?

just to make it superclear, each time these "spikes" occur that causes my computer to freeze for 1-2 secs I get a high CPU usage. What ever causes that. Is beyond me!

halp :/

korre
08-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Edit: I checked my memoryspeed via crucials homepage. And I have 10600 (1333mhz) but it's running at 1066. Can anyone comment on this? I'd appreciate all feedback

korre
08-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Week 1, day 2. Time for update

Reformated to Windows 7 ultimate. Installed SP1
Installed following.

Realteak audodrivers
ATK package
C++ Redists~
Synaptics

Will get back on later and keep you updated If I received any stutters, so far so good though I must say

korre
08-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Aaaaaaand I'm back. This **** aint working. **** this i'm RMA:ing this piece of **** back, it has done it's course!

xeromist
08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Here's a good explanation on how to extract more info about those sidebyside errors. If you feel like it can you do the following and see what it's missing?
http://www.ehow.com/how_7535388_repair-sidebyside-configuration-error.html