PDA

View Full Version : DVD-RAM Capability?

TheAdmiralty
04-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Hello!

I just bought myself a G75VW (660M model) and I love it; this thing has more power than my aging desktop, actually stays cooler, and uses less power. Plus, it's just built like a tank. Was considering the 670MX model, but for $200 and a larger thermal load extra, I figure the 660M has more than enough power, coming from a desktop 5770... it actually runs smoother. Gonna move a 256GB Crucial M4 over to this out of the same desktop when I get a chance. Only complaint is that Windows 8 sucks, and I'd gladly have paid more for a system with Win7 on it instead.

Anyway, I've been picking up extras here and there that are coming in handy. Next up on the list is some form of optical backup media, and some more memory. I plan on ordering a 2x8GB kit of G.Skill DDR3-1600, just because I can easily suck up all of that with Blender and AfterEffects. I had a question about the disk drive on this model, though; the only detail I can really give is the name "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM" as given by the device manager; I could rip the drive out to get a whole model number, but I'd rather not do that right now.

Is this drive capable of reading or writing to DVD-RAM discs? I'm debating between them or DVD+R DL for backup, because I like to back up anything useful I find onto a disc for future use... VSO-Inspector lists the drive as not able to read/write DVD-RAM discs, but the drive name would make me believe otherwise. Any thoughts? This isn't any kind of Blu-ray reader or combo drive, just the stock DVD-Multi Recorder that came with the machine.

Much appreciated!

ZeroBarrier
04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
ImgBurn reports the drive as "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT51N" and also reports that the drive is capable of both reading and writing DVD RAM. I haven't tested it myself, but you could download ImgBurn and give it a go.

Pitcher@asus
04-16-2013, 02:04 AM
i think it can be both reading and writing DVD RAM.

TheAdmiralty
04-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Sorry the reply took me so long; I was locked out of my account for the past two days; was directing me to an "upgrade your account" page and then hanging there. Seems to have gone away... Google tells me that's a problem you guys have every now and then.

That was the program I've been looking for! ImgBurn also says that it can read+write DVD-RAM, so I'm going to go ahead and try. If all else fails, DVD+R DL is probably a better option anyway, but that's not as fun, now, is it?

Much appreciated!