PDA

View Full Version : Help Convince me to get the G46VW

Tru3che
04-16-2013, 03:06 AM
Hey everyone! I'm new to these forums. Before I get started talking about my interest in the G46 let me start with an introduction of sorts. I'm a junior Computer Science student. I've been highly interested in computers since I was young and had one accessible. I've always been big into games and Asus has always been my favorite brand when it comes to laptops. I've been using an old Asus U-series since my sophomore year in high school. The power jack broke in it and while waiting for the new part to arrive I began looking at new laptops. My old one is currently in pieces on my dining room table, it was a massive 17.3" and with my study focus I'm required to be on a laptop around 5 hours a day just for my classes. I always hated lugging that huge thing around and have decided even after I repair the power jack to the old one I still want a more portable laptop for class.

This is where my searching started and eventually led me to the Asus G46VW. I wanted a smaller more portable machine that could still be powerful enough to do the gaming I enjoy. I don't want a laptop that will become outdated in a year, I need something that will last. I never thought I would find a laptop that had the performance I needed along with the portability. Now, I've done a good amount of research and even drove an hour away to check out BestBuys model they had on hand. All the reviews have been amazing, but I do have some concerns. I noticed the screen resolution seemed strangely low compared to what I'm used to. I'm not sure if it's a 720p, but that may have something to do with it. I noticed other people were saying the same thing and had been getting an upgraded version, but I want to know do you guys really think it's worth it? I'm not sure if I would have noticed the screen res had I not read a comment complaining about it prior to seeing the machine in person. I'd like to be able to get the machine from Best Buy if at all possible, and as far as I know they do not offer an upgraded version.

My second issue is with the hard drive. I'm not very savvy when it comes to understanding that a 5200 rpm HDD is bad, but I've heard it makes gaming a little more of a hassle. All the suggested fixes say to replace it with a SSD, which I know nothing about. How hard is this to do?

I feel like I have so many more questions, but honestly can't think of them currently.

NOTICE!
For those of you who would like to skip my giant wall of text:

*Is the low screen res really that much of an annoyance? Should I get Best Buy model and just replace the screen later if I find it to be an issue, or go ahead and order it online with this already added?

*How much of a hindrance is the 5200rpm HDD? Is it a must replace item, if so is this easily done or should the laptop ordered with this change as well?

I'm really financially timid when it comes to spending money and want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. I have to know all the facts and without a doubt know this is the right choice so any feedback, suggestions, comments are highly appreciated. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

httuner
04-16-2013, 03:22 AM
The G46vw is an awesome portable gaming laptop, very fast and quite powerful for its size, as for the screen resolution, don't stress it, the only other better resolution you'll get is 1600x900 which isn't so great because many people who have that screen resolution on a small 14inch laptop usually regret it because text is smaller to read and sometimes it becomes a hassle on the eyes. From personal experience it makes little difference in terms of picture quality and 1366x768 is much easier on the eyes. The resolution fits better for being a small 14inch laptop.

Don't even stress the HDD speed and I believe its a 5400rpm HDD. Even the 7200rpm HDD makes no difference, seriously its a Hard disk, it'll always be slow and between those two speeds, its hardly ever noticable, why people ever complain? I don't know, its a Hard disk, it'll be slow whether its a 5400rpm model or the faster 7200rpm model. You can install an mSata SSD allowing you to keep your HDD for storage and run your OS and other various programs that requires the speed on the mSata SSD (there is an mSata slot, a guy on youtube was successful in installing an mStata SSD into this little laptop)

This is the best bang for your money, unless of course you want a Sager/Clevo 15inch gaming laptop but when you think about it, the Sager/Clevo laptops are a little bit more louder when it comes to fan noise, Asus clearly wins when it comes to cooling performance / fan noise.

Buy it, you won't regret it and if you do end up feel like stepping up to the big G75VX, its worth the extra 300 bucks or so =]

chrsplmr
04-16-2013, 04:23 AM
imho. What you describe as your needs is Exactly what the G46 was born to do.
BestBuy is the Only place that sells it.
If for any reason you have Any doubt but have the budget. Buy it.
Beat the ROG out of it.
Play every game you wish.
Do whatever work you would need to. For 29.5 Days.
Then decide. Keep it ??? Take it back ??? Simple.

Later you can always add an SSD. or get that model up front now
for the 'Test'.
As to screen resolution. Stronger, Faster, Smarter.imo. @14".
Best of Luck.
Please keep 'us' posted.
Come back and give us your thoughts. again, Please.
Welcome to ROG.c.

Tru3che
04-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, I really appreciate them. I suppose I could eventually switch to an SSD if the HDD proved to be lacking. Is having an SSD as your only drive common? And if so, as a gamer, what size would be recommended?

I didn't know Best Buy had a 30 day policy, that makes things much simplier.

On a side note, does anyone have experience with Best Buy financing? I need the computer in less than 2 weeks for my finals, but I won't have the full amount for it till my tax return comes back here in a few weeks. Do you think I'd be able to start off setting up monthly plans and then pay off the full amount when the check comes in to save myself from having to deal with interest rates.

chrsplmr
04-16-2013, 02:32 PM
*Alert: BestBuy has changed it's return policy from 30 days to 15 days. [just a fyi]
Return Policy >>> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Topics/Returning-Online-Purchases/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014&searchresults=1&searchterm=game+exchange
BestBuy financing ? That's the easy part. Unless your credit is seriously in the crapper .. then .. check it out.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Finance/Credit-Cards/pcmcat102500050032.c?id=pcmcat102500050032
0r apply online 'in minutes' .. hahhaa [They crack me up.]
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12125&type=page&fCode=14
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to SSD .. G46's feature a 750gb HD .. The SSD would be an addition to this. 128gb would be 'plenty' I would think.c.

pathfindercod
04-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Unless your a silver reward zone member then you have 60 days to return.

colpolite
04-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Here was my review when I had the system. Use this info for your purchasing decision

Returned back the laptop to bestbuy for a full refund after playing with it for several days. I'll give my pros and cons below

GOOD
- Excellent Cooling and Fans are whisper quiet when gaming or benchmarking and almost no noise with web browsing
- No throttling issues and you get full performance (tested msi afterburner graph and gpu-z)
- GTX 660m at a laptop of this size at 768p gives so much frames per sec
- Excellent build quality and feel.
- Great stealth design and lid ROG logo lights up
- Good battery life of between 4-6hours
- Lid is super tight and non wobbly and does not creak when opening or closing
- Good wireless card Intel Centrino 2230 and Bluetooth 4.0, very good signal and continous connection w/o disconnects. Compared to crappy atheros wireless cards that Asus puts on most of their high end laptops.

BAD
- Screen is not grainy but my god the color gamut reminds me of m14x R2 where it is lacking the pop or vividness. The G55/G75 default screen has 60% gamut and from experience, the G46 screen would be around 40% gamut like the m14x r2. The color really looks dead
- The built in speakers although is decent, has a popping noise a half a sec b4 you play a music or video and when closing it when VIA driver is installed. Tried reinstalling diff VIA drivers specifically for g46 and poppin sound problem still persist. SOLUTION is to uninstall VIA driver and the problem goes away but the sound quality suffers so bad.
- The outer rubberize lid does not pick up many smudges but the metal/aluminum palm rest area is a fingerprint/smudge/oil magnet.
- Touchpad sucks , the 2 touchpad buttons are perfect though and really responsive and quiet but the touchpad requires some pressure in tapping it and is really slow because the elantech drivers does not have its own touchpad settings where you can adjust different settings like one/two scrolling, palm check sensitivity, tap settings like tapzones/ soft/hard etc... It has the Asus Smart Gesture where it does not help at all.
- Although the G46 can be disassembled using a torx screw, it is still not as easy and can void the warranty if you try and replace the hdd and the hdd is a slow 5400rpm 750GB Samsung Drive

Might be a Pro or a Con
- 768p resolution, 900p would have been perfect at this size since the gtx 660m has so much horsepower
- The spacebar requires some pressure and right placement of finger when pressing it for it to work

Tru3che
04-17-2013, 02:56 AM
I just looked and my last laptops hard drive was a 500gb 5400 rpm so I'm used to the speeds so it probably won't bother me to much. As far as screen resolution goes, am I correct in thinking having a 720p screen would allow me to continue playing high quality games in the future when the laptop does eventually start falling behind as opposed to a 1080p res.

Either way, I def think I'm gonna get this laptop sometime this week. I can always change out parts if anything irritates me to much. Which reminds me I did find the lack of brightness increasing capabilities a little annoying, but it was hard to tell on the display model.

gabriox
04-17-2013, 03:37 AM
Tru3che you can buy a customizable version on HID evoulution dot com. you can customize pretty much everything.

Tru3che
04-17-2013, 03:52 AM
The only problem with getting it custom made from a website is I won't be able to do the monthly payment plans like I need.

gypsymoth
04-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Based on your description, I think the G46VW is an excellent laptop for your need. You can't get anything smaller or in this size for the performance you want. And out of all the laptops in this league, it's the lease expensive one.

The resolution is 1366x768. It's sufficient on the go. You can always plug in a nice monitor when you need higher resolution.