PDA

View Full Version : best buy version of g75vx best option right now?

jsarver
04-17-2013, 04:10 AM
hey guys

looking for a gaming laptop and want to stick with asus. is the bb version of the g75vx the best option or are there other resellers that offer a better bang for the buck ie amazon, tiger direct? id like to stick with g75vx due to thunderbolt and 670mx gpu. is it worth grabbing an upgraded model from xotic or hidevo, or is the stock config powerful enough? i know most things can be upgraded in the g75 but some of them cause the warranty to be voided when done by the consumer.

the other option is to hang tight and wait for updates. i know there is no timeline for release of a new model, but i would hate to have an "outdated" computer in a month.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks

pathfindercod
04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Yep, best gpu try offer ATM. The overclock ability and price is hard to beat IMO.

mbrev
04-17-2013, 06:49 PM
hey guys

looking for a gaming laptop and want to stick with asus. is the bb version of the g75vx the best option or are there other resellers that offer a better bang for the buck ie amazon, tiger direct? id like to stick with g75vx due to thunderbolt and 670mx gpu. is it worth grabbing an upgraded model from xotic or hidevo, or is the stock config powerful enough? i know most things can be upgraded in the g75 but some of them cause the warranty to be voided when done by the consumer.

the other option is to hang tight and wait for updates. i know there is no timeline for release of a new model, but i would hate to have an "outdated" computer in a month.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks

I don't know if the bb model is the best deal right now because when I bought mine it totaled to $1363 after taxes(CA), and after I upgraded the ram to 24gb for $107 and added a samsung 840 pro 256 that I got for $206, the total was $1676. Still a good deal for a laptop under $1700.

but the Sager NP9170 from xotic can be bought for $1,369 as of the moment and this comes with an upgraded gpu, the GTX 675MX. This sounds like a better deal than the asus g75vx if you're concerned about laptops getting outdated soon.

gokica
04-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I don't know if the bb model is the best deal right now because when I bought mine it totaled to $1363 after taxes(CA), and after I upgraded the ram to 24gb for $107 and added a samsung 840 pro 256 that I got for $206, the total was $1676. Still a good deal for a laptop under $1700.

but the Sager NP170 from xotic can be bought for $1,369 as of the moment and this comes with an upgraded gpu, the GTX 675MX. This sounds like a better deal than the asus g75vx if you're concerned about laptops getting outdated soon.

NP170 is about the same price. It depends on the preferences but to me the VX is much nicer looking. I think that the support is relatively good and GTX 675MX is nothing special comparing to 670MX because the difference is minimal if we are taking in consideration the future when they will be considered as cards of same rang and power.

And when it comes to buying G75VX I would say that the best deal would be the cheapest VX on the market. Everything else can be upgraded upon preference which is much more interesting comparing to just getting "all in one" package in which not everything is satisfying my taste. But this is me talking of course.

Living Room Rocker
04-18-2013, 02:38 AM

but the Sager NP9170 from xotic can be bought for $1,369 as of the moment and this comes with an upgraded gpu, the GTX 675MX. This sounds like a better deal than the asus g75vx if you're concerned about laptops getting outdated soon.

There are no other gaming laptops with thunderbolt. The only other laptop/notebook/ultrabook I know of that has TB is an Acer ultrabook (S5??). The 75VX is easy enough to upgrade, but it does have its short comings, i.e., wireless adapter and typically a slower HDD. So, if TB is a deal maker, then go ASUS (even at BB). You cannot add TB to laptop without swapping the MB (if there are third party laptop MBs with TB).

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

mynewrog
04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
I bought the BB version of G75VX (BHI7N11) so this I have to tell: Unless you plan to play on an external monitor/tv, stay away from the panel that this version comes with. It has been confirmed to suffer from flickering on dark backgrounds which as soon as the "first-days-enthousiasm" tones down, becomes apparent and very annoying. I am now seriously considering a 24" lcd as it drives me so crazy I don't want to use it without connecting it to my tv.

A real shame as power-wise the unit is great but a decent screen is only so important otherwise you might as well buy a desktop.

jsarver
04-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I bought the BB version of G75VX (BHI7N11) so this I have to tell: Unless you plan to play on an external monitor/tv, stay away from the panel that this version comes with. It has been confirmed to suffer from flickering on dark backgrounds which as soon as the "first-days-enthousiasm" tones down, becomes apparent and very annoying. I am now seriously considering a 24" lcd as it drives me so crazy I don't want to use it without connecting it to my tv.

A real shame as power-wise the unit is great but a decent screen is only so important otherwise you might as well buy a desktop.

well i picked up on up yesterday and i have no such flickering. guess i got lucky.

as far as the desktop goes i have one i build just a couple months ago so that area is already taken care of! lol!

i do notice that the number pad on the lappy has almost no backlight... the zero key is very bright as is the rest of the keys but all the numbers are rally really dim...do you notice this??

edit: i do see the flicker in the other thread but when is someone going to run into that image daily?? doesnt bother me unless that was my screen all the time

compurocker
04-18-2013, 04:20 PM
I have not had any issues with flickering or any pixel or artifact issues with my screen whatsoever. Possibly some units got through QC and were not fixed or perhaps it is more likely not common percentage wise considering the amount of units sold. In any event it is most certainly unfortunate for anyone to have this issue.

mynewrog
04-18-2013, 04:58 PM
well i picked up on up yesterday and i have no such flickering. guess i got lucky.

as far as the desktop goes i have one i build just a couple months ago so that area is already taken care of! lol!

i do notice that the number pad on the lappy has almost no backlight... the zero key is very bright as is the rest of the keys but all the numbers are rally really dim...do you notice this??

edit: i do see the flicker in the other thread but when is someone going to run into that image daily?? doesnt bother me unless that was my screen all the time

I see it in my login screen as it's set to dark grey, I see it in Winamp, I see it on forums with black/grey background and the list goes on. I don't play games all the time but that doesn't justify anything. Since when is the user supposed to rule out certain colors in order to enjoy a decent performance?

I have not had any issues with flickering or any pixel or artifact issues with my screen whatsoever. Possibly some units got through QC and were not fixed or perhaps it is more likely not common percentage wise considering the amount of units sold. In any event it is most certainly unfortunate for anyone to have this issue.

I take it we are all talking about the BHI7N11 otherwise there's no point in saying the other panels of G75's are ok, that's obvious.

jsarver
04-18-2013, 05:13 PM
I see it in my login screen as it's set to dark grey, I see it in Winamp, I see it on forums with black/grey background and the list goes on. I don't play games all the time but that doesn't justify anything. Since when is the user supposed to rule out certain colors in order to enjoy a decent performance?

I take it we are all talking about the BHI7N11 otherwise there's no point in saying the other panels of G75's are ok, that's obvious.

well ur case is much worse... i see it no where other then in the other thread picture. i too have grey backgrounds and this forum has black background and i have no issues.

mynewrog
04-18-2013, 05:34 PM
The black background of this forum looks fine. I just posted some simple reproduction instructions on the other thread which is purely about the screen flickering to keep it on topic. Please have a look (and everybody else that cares to check if he has the issueor not) and reply there if you may.

jsarver
04-18-2013, 05:37 PM
The black background of this forum looks fine. I just posted some simple reproduction instructions on the other thread which is purely about the screen flickering to keep it on topic. Please have a look (and everybody else that cares to check if he has the issueor not) and reply there if you may.

ill take a look...now can you do me a favor and let me know if your numpad backlighting is weaker (almost non existant) compared to the rest of your keys...

mynewrog
04-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Sure. No, my numpad seems to light up as much as the other keys with an exception of the "1" key which is way darker.

TLAVY
04-18-2013, 09:38 PM
I think the Tiger D unit is sweeter then the BB version....picked up mine for $1399.00 Has 16 GB ram, 2 7200rmp HD 750G total and Blu-ray player I think that's it for the upgrades. But if you don't want to tear your new computer apart they are worth the extra$