PDA

View Full Version : Different resolutions on different parts of the screen between 45 and 94 hertz

knutmn
04-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi

My computer is a g74sx, the version without the 3D capable screen.

Yesterday evening my screen started flickering to the point of not being legible. I tried to force new refresh rates, in the beginning anything inside the range 41-94hz caused flickering, after a while it stabilized and there are seemingly two zones of different resolutions. The top two thirds of the screen seemingly running at around 1024*768 and the bottom third at 1920*1080. 40hz and 95hz look like normal with entire screen at 1920*1080.

I tried to print screen, but oddly the problem does not appear in the screen shot.

The current status is that I'm using a refresh rate of 40hz, at which the screen is normal. Upon starting the computer, the load screen seemingly uses 60hz, which results in the mentioned two resolution zones. As soon as 40hz is forced everything seems normal.

Any idea what might cause this? And secondly, can the screen take 95 or 100hz and is there any reason to force this instead of 40hz?

Zygomorphic
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
You shouldn't need to force screen refresh rates, and doing so can actually damage the monitor. I would advise completely removing and reinstalling the latest nVidia driver from the nVidia website. As a quick test, try rebooting Windows in Safe Mode (which prevents loading the nVidia drivers) and see if it comes up normally (in 1024x768 or lower). If it does, then the nVidia driver is likely corrupted, and reinstalling it should fix the problem.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the forums! :)

knutmn
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Thank you for your response.

I have the same problem in safemode, not to mention in BIOS screen. My screen is getting worse at 60hz. Before drivers are loaded when I start my computer the screen is completely illegible. At 40hz everything still seems normal.

knutmn
04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
I am also worried about uninstalling the driver, if it snaps the screen back to 60hz it might render it illegible, something I can't change with no screen.

billyray520
04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Can you attach an external monitor/tv to hdmi and see everything normally?

knutmn
04-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately I don't have on handy.

dstrakele
04-17-2013, 04:06 PM
How about attempting to connect the laptop to your (or a friend's) HDTV via VGA or HDMI? If the HDTV displays proper video at 60 hz, the problem is likely hardware-related and lies with a poorly-connected or defective LVDS cable, or a defective laptop display.

Alternatiively, you could boot from a Linux "LiveCD" distribution. If the screen resolution problem persists, it likely indicates a hardware problem.

Just for grins, try restoring BIOS default settings to see if it changes video behavior.

knutmn
04-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Thank you for your reply. Will go to a friends and check with his external display. Do any of you know of any good disassembly guides, and how do I idenfity the LVDS cable?