PDA

View Full Version : G73s running hot and I'm worried!

aaabbbeee
04-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Alright, so....

My laptop has been running a little hot recently. I've been using it a lot more since I had surgery a few weeks ago, and haven't been able to do much else.

Games have been running a little choppy. sometimes they run great, and then the nest minute they don't. I think it has to do with the heating.

here is a pic of a hardware monitor that I started right as my laptop started. it started at around 44c and hit 79c just browsing the web.
http://oi50.tinypic.com/2d95tgh.jpg

It's my understanding that the GPU temps are high. I've read that this can be caused by dust buildup, so I opened up the hatch on the bottom of the computer and used a hair dryer on cool mode to blow any dust out from there. not much came out, but it helped a little. the temps before I blew out the dust were about 84c just browsing the net.

I also hear that repasting the GPU might fix it. Another possibility is a virus? IDK, but I'm probably not in the best shape to fix either right now.

sorry if this is a little messy, I just hope that someone here can put on the right path.

Thanks.

xeromist
04-18-2013, 10:23 PM
The bottom hatch isn't really going to give you access to the heat sinks where dust accumulation is the most detrimental. I would direct air into the exhaust vents to break up dust bunnies and hopefully either have the dust come out immediately or at least give the fans a chance to blow it out when you turn the machine on. If the dust is really caked in or if you are a smoker then you might have to open the machine up to clean the stuck on stuff that won't blow out.

aaabbbeee
04-19-2013, 02:14 AM
I actually did blow back into the exhaust vents. Not a smoker, but there was definitely some dust that go out. I think it helped, but it's still running to hot, right? I don't want to wreck the fans by blowing on them to much. Is there any other things that I could do?

I've started looking for some repair services that might be able to repaste it for me, but I'm not sure if that's something I should send it to asus for. I've had it for just under two years, but I'm not certain.

xeromist
04-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Any reputable PC service shop should be able to clean and repaste a laptop. It's not something that is ASUS specific.