PDA

View Full Version : G74 touchpad and media issues

DDustin
04-19-2013, 04:14 AM
My touch pad goes through fits of not working. Sometimes it won't work at all, sometimes it'll start and stop or partially move a little bit and then stop, also my cursor randomly clicks spots making typing impossible(did it twice typing this sentence)(not sure if that's related).

How do I figure out which driver to use and how do I download it? When I go to the drivers thread and click on it its just a huge list of files and folders.

Also my Blu-ray burner doesn't work. It doesn't play blurays or DVDs. Every program I use to open it crashes right away. Is there a driver to fix this? or something else?

Thanks in advance

Dustin

Pitcher@asus
04-19-2013, 06:30 AM
please download driver from ASUS (http://www.asus.com/ROG/G74SX/#support_Download) support site, clean uninstall old driver from control panel then install new driver.

DDustin
04-19-2013, 09:50 AM
How can I figure out which touchpad driver I need and how do I uninstall the old driver? I cant find the touchpad or a driver for it listed anywhere anymore.

Also any solutions for my media/Blu-ray issues?

DDustin
04-21-2013, 10:12 PM
How exactly do I download the driver? Its just a big compressed file full of other files. I'm not really sure what to do with it.

DDustin
04-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Any help would be appreciated its getting pretty hard to use the laptop for anything at all.

derekc123
04-24-2013, 05:07 PM
I have a G75 so consider that with my response. On the G75 I did not like the ASUS version of the synaptics touch pad driver. First it had a feature called smart zone. That kind of name is not intuitive, but it turns out that is how you enable palm check. Palm check appears to be what you need. Palm check prevents the cursor from moving when you accidentally hit the touchpad while typing. Most likely your touchpad is a synaptics pad. I had the same issue on my g75. I went to the website and downloaded the latest version of the the driver and issue solved. Before you install the new driver create a restore point in case the driver causes any issues or fails to work. Good luck. No matter how bad ass the CPU, GPU, hard drive, etc... is; everything is useless if the keyboard and mouse/touchpad suck. One reason I went with ASUS is that the keyboard and reviewed well. I was really disappointed before I loaded the driver, but now everything is good.

DDustin
04-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Well it actually does it when I'm nowhere near the pad. When you download it though how do you install the driver? All I see are a bunch of files that do nothing when I click on them.

Muratus
04-24-2013, 11:24 PM
The G73's are notorious for touchpad issues. With them it's a hardware problem more then a driver, though getting better drivers directly from Synaptics is always a good move.

In the G73's the palmrest needs to be taken off, the sticky metal sticker removed. Then I like to put some electric tape over the metal components below the trackpad area. I've refurbished quite a few G73's and this always takes care of the twitchy touch pad issues.

derekc123
04-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Well it actually does it when I'm nowhere near the pad. When you download it though how do you install the driver? All I see are a bunch of files that do nothing when I click on them.

Download this file, right click on it after downloading, select extract all, run setup.exe in the folder where the files are extracted.

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v16_3_15_1_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Signed_Acme_Inc.zip

DDustin
04-25-2013, 02:38 AM
The G73's are notorious for touchpad issues. With them it's a hardware problem more then a driver, though getting better drivers directly from Synaptics is always a good move.

In the G73's the palmrest needs to be taken off, the sticky metal sticker removed. Then I like to put some electric tape over the metal components below the trackpad area. I've refurbished quite a few G73's and this always takes care of the twitchy touch pad issues.

Do you by any chance have a more detailed write up with a couple pictures? I've had this apart before and I'm a good bit better with hardware than software.

Muratus
04-25-2013, 02:45 AM
This is a good one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUN9CKMSSwg . Your looking to remove any possible small short that maybe happening. Removing the metal sticker isn't always enough, which is why I like to put electrical tape over any metal areas below where the touchpad is. On that G73's that is mostly the HD connector board.

DDustin
04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Any thoughts on how to fix my media issues?

dstrakele
04-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12506-slimtype-bd-e-ds4e1s-WILL-NOT-READ-ANY-MEDIA. I recommend trying the UpperFilers/LowerFilters registry edit first, but there are several other recommendations for you to try in that thread.

Muratus
04-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Your blu-ray drive may have just gone out. They are not very high quality. Do you have a DVD drive that you can put in and test if it works?

DDustin
04-26-2013, 12:58 AM
It'll run games and software disks the problem is when I open a media player to play it the media player crashes. Its honestly never really worked, it was always intermittent. Now its just not happening.

Muratus
04-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Windows Media Player? Have you tried to download a different media player like VLC?

DDustin
04-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Windows Media Player? Have you tried to download a different media player like VLC?

Yep it happens with VLC too. I've got Cineplayer, VLC, and one other I cant recall and they do it. Honestly I downloaded VLC because none of the others have ever worked. I've never been able to play disks from anything other than VLC.

Muratus
04-26-2013, 12:38 PM
If it was me, I'd back up my data and re-install Windows. It's highly doubtful that a hardware error would cause only media player to not work. Something in the software is causing this. It could take a tremendous amount of time to track that down. Re-installing Windows would be quicker, plus you then know your back to square one.