PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Downgrade

TheAdmiralty
04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Hello again!

I'm sure you get this a lot around here, but I couldn't find a forum thread already made that answers all of my questions. Some people do use the search bar first, you know... ;)

I purchased a G75VW a couple weeks ago with Win8 preinstalled on it. I gave it a fair chance, but I just can't use this OS happily... the "Start" screen you cant change the background on, the title bar text you cant change the color of, the stupid store that keeps reinstalling its bloatware every time Windows updates it... I can't even install any package using an MSI installer because I apparently don't have rights to my own system files, nor can I get those rights because of god knows why. There are just so many little things that were either overlooked or ignored that I didn't have to worry about in Win7.

So I'm obviously in favor of Win7, which I absolutely adore, but I'd like to keep a backup of Windows 8 in case I ever need/want to reinstall it for whatever reason. I have a full retail copy of Windows 7 already, and a 256GB Crucial M4 I'll be using for this; I'm going to be using the M4 as a boot drive, and the factory 1TB HDD as a data drive.

Questions:
How can I back up the factory recovery partition so that I can restore this system COMPLETELY to its factory state from that backup? Will the Win8 Restore Drive Utility do this? I want to completely clean the 1TB drive of all partitions, but not if I can't get backup media made to replace it. I don't want to throw away this copy of Windows just to replace it.
I've heard Win8 roots itself into the UEFI, but nobody can tell me exactly how. What needs changed in order to release it for uninstall, if any?
I'm assuming that this will blow my warranty out of existence?

Much appreciated!

Clintlgm
04-21-2013, 06:43 PM
This Thread should get you going, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29983-Clean-Windows-7-on-Asus-G75VX-(Win8-pre-installed)&country=&status=

There are a couple of imaging software's that will Image your current hard drive for later use. Acronis paid with Plus will also you might need there director add on too. There is another one I Believe a lot of the people here are using this one http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

TheAdmiralty
04-21-2013, 07:27 PM
I'll give it a try... I have a few spare 250GB 2.5" HDDs I could clone this drive to and toss in the closet; I figure doing that and maybe backing it up to a few DVDs would be good enough. Installing Win7 shouldn't be that hard, but I just wanted to be sure that I had a way to get it back to factory state.

Don't worry, I'll never want to come back to Windows 8 anyway... I'd rather run a distro of Linux than this, if only I didnt have to run everything on WINE...

EDIT:
I was just flipping through the Asus store, and saw that they actually sell recovery media. Now, I dont think I should have to pay $50 more for a disc that should have came with my $1200 laptop in the first place, but I couldn't for the life of me find a Windows 8 disc. Do you guys at Asus make a Windows 8 G75VW recovery/reinstall disc?

TheAdmiralty
04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
EDIT:
I'm going to go make a new thread... I'm having too many issues right now to lump them all into here and expect for them to be answered. Thanks for the help, it got me started at least.

Shawnnepc
04-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Hello again!

I'm sure you get this a lot around here, but I couldn't find a forum thread already made that answers all of my questions. Some people do use the search bar first, you know... ;)

I purchased a G75VW a couple weeks ago with Win8 preinstalled on it. I gave it a fair chance, but I just can't use this OS happily... the "Start" screen you cant change the background on, the title bar text you cant change the color of, the stupid store that keeps reinstalling its bloatware every time Windows updates it... I can't even install any package using an MSI installer because I apparently don't have rights to my own system files, nor can I get those rights because of god knows why. There are just so many little things that were either overlooked or ignored that I didn't have to worry about in Win7.

So I'm obviously in favor of Win7, which I absolutely adore, but I'd like to keep a backup of Windows 8 in case I ever need/want to reinstall it for whatever reason. I have a full retail copy of Windows 7 already, and a 256GB Crucial M4 I'll be using for this; I'm going to be using the M4 as a boot drive, and the factory 1TB HDD as a data drive.

Questions:
How can I back up the factory recovery partition so that I can restore this system COMPLETELY to its factory state from that backup? Will the Win8 Restore Drive Utility do this? I want to completely clean the 1TB drive of all partitions, but not if I can't get backup media made to replace it. I don't want to throw away this copy of Windows just to replace it.
I've heard Win8 roots itself into the UEFI, but nobody can tell me exactly how. What needs changed in order to release it for uninstall, if any?
I'm assuming that this will blow my warranty out of existence?

Much appreciated!

Shouldn't void any hardware warranty. If you ever need software support they might be a little hesitant ;)

I'm not sure why you didn't just grab Start8 or one of it's clones and run with that. There's a number of marked improvements that Win8 provides that make it worthwhile once the start button is restored. (Better taskman, faster shutdown / startup)

As the user above have started, you will need to use some sort of imaging software (Shadowprotect is my personal favorite) to back up your prior state.

The DEL key should enable you to get into the BIOS. Once there try setting SATA configuration to IDE (or legacy?) and see if the drives will read then.

Also, your Windows 8 key is stored in the BIOS. Any Windows 8 DVD should work ** Will still need to install drivers etc from ASUS website.

TheAdmiralty
04-22-2013, 09:48 PM
I considered it, but for right now, I'm going to make use of my Win7 that isn't being used. There are just little things that bother me... Like Skype on Windows 8, it's probably the least user-friendly thing that I've ever had to work with. Shutdown/startup times are nice, but I figure that with an SSD, Win7 gets the job done quickly enough.

ShadowProtect looks interesting... I might have to look into that. I'm using Macrium Reflect right now, and I'm assuming it will do a decent job once I get my hard drive to actually detect.

I didn't realize that I had a Win8 serial key stored. I'll have to check on that... that would be a lot easier than keeping a hard drive stored away. I'm not worried about Asus' bloatware (sorry, Asus... it's pretty bad in places)... I just didnt want to lose a $99 OEM copy of Win8, even if it is locked to this system.

It appears that holding [shift] while clicking on Restart in Windows gives me the option to boot in the "UEFI Firmware" which reboots me into the BIOS. I can disable fast booting from there, along with everything else, so I think that's good enough. DEL alone definitely doesn't put me into it.