PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference...?

Toaster
04-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Hi,

I just got my new laptop! ^_^ G75V!

I have a few questions if anyone can answer them please!

1. What is the difference between G75V & G75VW? Which one is older?

2. Am i able to add SSD?

The specs are:

Asus-G75V,
i7 core, 3630, 2.4ghz
Memory-12 gig
HDD 750GB
GTX 670mx

This is the laptop I have: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577&item_id=058642

But I don't know if it's upgradable :S

Pitcher@asus
04-22-2013, 06:33 AM
ASUS have G75VW and G75VW model name, for your link it is G75VX, yes, you can add SSD to your G75 laptop.

Toaster
04-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks for reply.
What kind of SSD compatible? Also, if I want to switch from windows 8 to windows 7, does it have to be installed in certain way or can I just plug in usb/insert windows cd and install like any other computer?

Clintlgm
04-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Check out this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29983-Clean-Windows-7-on-Asus-G75VX-(Win8-pre-installed)&country=&status= It's possible but Guide needs to be understood before you start.
Any standard 9mm SSD will work, Samsung 640 pro seems to be the best at this time, Intel 520, Mine came with a Liteonit 256 gb others that are similar your choice

z3540
04-22-2013, 10:01 PM
A brief description of my situation: I have a 2008 Sony Vaio 17.3" (1440x900) screen, Core 2 Duo, 4GB (upgraded) RAM, Bluray, 1TB (750 Seagate Momentus Hybrid+250) HDD, Nvidia GT8400m, Wireless N (upgraded to Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300-a 3x3 wireless antenna to take advantage of my 3x3 wireless router), Vista 32bit. I have not been able to play any of the recent games since the specs are old. I use it for video and pictures (along with everyday uses). It has served me well until recently when it started to give me trouble, so I decided to do a clean install after backing up my data. I was at a Best Buy where they had the G75VX (local one didn't stock it) and was impressed with the specs (vs the old G75VW). I bought it just in case I couldn't fix my Vaio. My research turned up the following:

1. Some VWs have a 3rd gen i7 3610, the VX has 3630. If you can wait until June the newer Haswell chip will be coming out (ie 4th gen i7). You can get the newer chip or you can probably buy the current VX for a discount at that time. Just remember that there will ALWAYS be newer, faster, better versions of anything in 2-6 months.

2. Some VWs have more than 8GB RAM. It depends on the model. The VX @ Best Buy(BB VX) has 8GB (upgradable to 32). There are other VX models that have more but can't find them on sale yet except on XoticPC.com (see below).

3. Some VWs come with an SSD, HDD @7200 RPM, SSD+HDD; again, it depends on the model. The BB VX has a 1TB @ 5400 RPM and a 2nd drive bay free.

4. The VWs come with Nvidia 660m, 670m, or 675m (2GB). It depends on the model. The BB VX comes with the 670mx (3GB). This is based on the newer and better Kepler architecture. See here for review/comparison: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX - NotebookCheck.net Tech

5. The BB VX is the first laptop with an 802.11ac wireless card (3x3). However, to take advantage of this you will NEED an 802.11ac router. Note that this is "pre-802.11ac", similar to when the 802.11n first came out ("pre-802.11n"). The specifications won't be finalized until later this year. The 802.11ac card should be backwards compatible. This is a big deal for me since the VX laptop should have 3 antennae inside. I plan to remove my Vaio wireless card (3x3) and put it in the VX. When the spec is finalized later this year, I will upgrade my router and networking card to "ac".

6. Some VWs have dvd/cd-rw, bluray reader/dvd/cd-rw, bluray rewriter/dvd/cd-rw. It depends on the model. The BB VX has only dvd/cd-rw. However, this is easily upgraded to a bluray reader or bluray rewriter with 3D capability via HDMI for less than $100. Please see here: G75 from BB, and upgrades available.

7. Speaking of 3D, some VWs have a 3D screen, depends on the model ($$$$!!). The BB VX is NOT a 3D screen but is 3D CAPABLE via HDMI after an upgrade (see above).

8. Some VWs have Win7 or 8, depends on the model. BB VX has Win8 64 bit. There are mixed feelings on Win8. I, myself, have not tried it except on display models in stores.

9. The VX has the Thunderbolt port, the VW does NOT. Not sure if there are a lot of Thunderbolt peripherals but here is more information on it: Thunderbolt (interface) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There may be more differences but that is what I could find.

The main things I like are the 3x3 ac wireless card and the "mx" Kepler video card. The latest and greatest video card from Nvidia is the 680m (680mx is for Macs) and the 7980m from Radeon. BTW, after reading the above, I think I will keep the VX, a good value for the money with upgradeability to keep up with the times. You also mentioned that Tigerdirect is your preferred outlet. Just be aware that they have a lot of conditions on their return policy and a 15% restocking fee. I had trouble returning a computer: they tried to charge me a restocking fee for returning an unopened computer. I only buy low ticket items there now. At Best Buy, you can return with no questions asked within 30 days (60 days if you're a Reward Zone Member) and no restocking fees. Also, Best Buy is the only place where I can find a VX at a good price. You can try XoticPC.com. They have a customizable VX but their base configuration starts at $1939.

In whatever you decide to buy, good luck!

UPDATE NOTE: I wrote this a month ago in response to someone asking about the differences between the old G75VW and the newer Best Buy (BB) G75VX. Since then I have decided to keep the G75VX and in the process of upgrading the RAM, the HDD to SSD, and the DVD to a rewritable Bluray. The 3x3 ac wireless card is great with my Asus RT-N66R (from Best Buy). It is much better than my old Vaio. BTW, I did fix it but decided to keep the newer G75 anyway.

HellzHavoc
04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Hi,

I just got my new laptop! ^_^ G75V!

I have a few questions if anyone can answer them please!

1. What is the difference between G75V & G75VW? Which one is older?

2. Am i able to add SSD?

The specs are:

Asus-G75V,
i7 core, 3630, 2.4ghz
Memory-12 gig
HDD 750GB
GTX 670mx

This is the laptop I have: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577&item_id=058642

But I don't know if it's upgradable :S

Did you buy it there for $1499? Because there are a lot of other places including NCIX.ca that sell that exact same model for $1299.99. Lol