PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to install Windows 8 Drivers on Windows 7?

Matrix Leader
04-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Well since I want to play it the safe way as the mods say which is to stick to drivers from ASUS that are meant FOR my laptop in specific.

You see, the problem is, ASUS seems to have forgotton about Windows 7 and drivers like the VIA Audio Drivers (which are one of the most important) are older than the versions on the Windows 8 section for the G75VW

Another driver which is just one out of many is the Alcor Multi-Card Reader, the version for Windows 7 is 3.1.xxxxx while the Windows 8 version is 3.8.142.616128

Is it ok to install the later ones from Windows 8 onto Windows 7 on my next format?

I know stuff like Bluetooth Windows 8 and Windows 7 are not inter-compatible but the Alcor Card Reader drivers, virtual camera, and what not, seem to work fine but Im no expert to judge on that

kindly clarifiy

Clintlgm
04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Well the USB 3.0 Drivers for Win 7 are Intel, while the Win 8 drivers are native in Windows and Different, I'm remembering the guys upgrading to win 8 mostly used Win 7 drivers, until win 8 drivers were posted. I think I would start with the win 7 drivers and try out the Win 8 drivers one at a time to see how it goes?

Matrix Leader
04-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Well the USB 3.0 Drivers for Win 7 are Intel, while the Win 8 drivers are native in Windows and Different, I'm remembering the guys upgrading to win 8 mostly used Win 7 drivers, until win 8 drivers were posted. I think I would start with the win 7 drivers and try out the Win 8 drivers one at a time to see how it goes?

yeah I know that about the USB drivers as I mentioned I know there are a few that are not intercompatible like the Bluetooth as well but what about others like card reader, LAN, WLAN, Audio, MEI, IRST, Chipset drivers?

Clintlgm
04-23-2013, 12:00 AM
I think you can look on the Intel site for the Intel drivers I think not positive but MEI, IRST, and Chipset are chipset dependent rather than OS dependent? Again I would go with the Win 7 drivers for the G75VW first as we know they work.

Pitcher@asus
04-23-2013, 01:59 AM
i do not suggest it, G75VW broth have provide Win 7 driver and Win 8 driver, so i suggest you download by OS.

Matrix Leader
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
i do not suggest it, G75VW broth have provide Win 7 driver and Win 8 driver, so i suggest you download by OS.
alright, thanks boss